Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Coaching kids or playing over 35s

jordy

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wanted to throw this out there just to warn everyone of the situation that could arise from both playing and coaching kids ,which most of us participate in.

On the Island a Uvic masters player received his third yellow and had to sit out an automatic 1 game suspension.The next day he went to coach his kids team and someone reported to the league he was coaching while being suspended. Apparently because the kids game is a BC sanctioned game he has now been suspended from both for 6 months. at first I didn't believe this but after looking at the VISL website under discipline it is there.

What does everyone think? This seems excessive for someone who volunteers his time to coach.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Remember you ARE talking about Soccer in Canada right... :rolleyes:

Of course it is excessive and makes no sense.

Would the same apply to officials?

Let's say that Walks, Whistle Blower or Captain Shamrock receive a suspension from playing or coaching, can they officiate? If so, why the double standard?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm very surprised at that.......one has nothing to do with the other. I've been suspended before with one team but continued to coach another team.....a couple of years ago actually. :confused:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can this really be true? Seriously?

If it were Gary Bryan or jojo13 they probably deserved it, but at any other level this would be one of the most assinine things I've ever heard.

Good thing some of us play in the VMSL and have Mr. Azzi watching over us... eh Eggy? :D

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Let's say that Walks, Whistle Blower or Captain Shamrock receive a suspension from playing or coaching, can they officiate? If so, why the double standard?

We can not ref if suspended, i can not even take part of the FVSL executive meetings as well. Hey it might be a good idea to be sent off this weekend. :D:D:D

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This may be true but I'd bet he didn't get 6 months for just trying to coach...he probably went nuts after being told to leave the field and then deserved the 6 months suspension! LOL!

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I remember this one time Walks was reffing and gave himself a red ... but the ref was so confused he forgot to report it ....
If you have a red coaching should not be jeopradized ...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have seen it happen before where a suspended player got in trouble for coaching while suspended, but not for accumulated yellows.

Basically, the way it's viewed is that BCSA is BCSA, and ditto for a sanctioned game; doesn't matter what level it's at, although this scenario is a bit of a stretch. Was the coach of the other kids' team a player from the game he was carded in?:rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The irony here is that there is a real shortage of qualified guys that are willing to coach.

This isn't like hockey, where it is expected that your coach is in one way, shape, or form a former player w/ innate knowledge of playing the game. This is soccer, where many teams have parents who've never played, and it's the hockey coach who steps up to be the soccer coach too. God bless them, but they usually suck balls at coaching soccer. Kick and run is commonplace. "Dump it in!"

I guess I could see the suspension crossing over for extreme circumstances- where code of conduct issues can be questioned- but we're talking yellows here.

Another case of the BCSA not seeing the forest through the trees?

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Same thing happened this September to a guy on our team. The suspension wasn't as long, but he received a couple of games while coaching his kids (issued by a kid ref) that impacted his first two games in Masters. wtf?

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever it was who reported him is, plain and simple, a useless knob who obviously has nothing better to do with his or her time. Can't stand the whistle blowers.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm very surprised at that.......one has nothing to do with the other. I've been suspended before with one team but continued to coach another team.....a couple of years ago actually. :confused:

They are very connected, many O-35 players that are coaches, play at 10am in the morning or used to at least, how many young players or other coaches in the club, watch the O-35 games while warming up for thier youth games. They see all the crap that we do and say on the park, and go, why shouldn't I act that way. We as coaches should be setting an example on the park during games, but we often don't. Should we be suspended for what we do in O-35's, for youth games, NO, but we should be acting like mentors when ever around the field.

hos

Soccer_player

Sep 20, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
how about this : would him sitting out and not coaching the kids game count as his one game served. I think not but something to think about.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They are very connected, many O-35 players that are coaches, play at 10am in the morning or used to at least, how many young players or other coaches in the club, watch the O-35 games while warming up for thier youth games. They see all the crap that we do and say on the park, and go, why shouldn't I act that way. We as coaches should be setting an example on the park during games, but we often don't. Should we be suspended for what we do in O-35's, for youth games, NO, but we should be acting like mentors when ever around the field.

hos

And your point is what?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0