Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cruzeiro Esporte Clube (Brazil) vs All Stars

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard there's a match lined up for June 28 at Coquitlam Town Centre.

Does anyone have any details on this?

Is the full Cruzeiro squad coming? Who is on the BC All Stars -- PCSL'ers?

Edit: This was meant to be in the BC Soccer General Discussion Forum... mods please move

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Cruzeiro Esporte Clube (Brazil) vs. BC All Stars

Way ahead of you. ;)

Maybe it'll be a mix of PCSL and VMSL like when they played Hearts last summer.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

2 weeks away and hardly anyone has heard of it.

Nice work by all those involved.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs:

I don't think there's much of that horse left to beat.

You're right though; pretty fcukin' typical. Why bring a guest team to town and not tell anybody? Thanks for the public service announcement; at least somebody's on the ball.

Trece

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

The only other info I have is that tickets are $20 and available at Exotico Brasil Cafe (Charles St. near Commercial Dr.)

I'm just as bewildered by the lack of promotion as the rest of you.... Perhaps there's some massive Brazilian community in Vancouver that plays soccer in isolation and can fill the stadium by themselves?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

$20?

Aren't all the good Brazillians in Germany right now? I wouldn't pay that if the Whitecaps were the opposition!

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Primarily Akal players? How can these guys form an allstar side?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Well, I suppose that explains why there wasn't too much promo by the league/BCSA - it's an Akal initiative?

Gilly, who's on the team besides yourself?

:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

This is just weak and tired.

What exactly is Akal's end goal for their soccer programs, anyhow? Not sure how successful any program will be on a national level if you exclude yourselves from the governing bodies, as well as segregate yourselves from all ethnic groups besides Sikh East Indians.

Oh yes, with the occasional Fijian import allowed.

Maybe I have it wrong, but if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Somebody tell me I've got this all wrong, please. I'd be happy to be "learned up" on this issue.

Regs: a topic for the boys tonight, perhaps?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs: a topic for the boys tonight, perhaps?
Great idea! I'll try and brief them on what is up. What exactly is up?

:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't know...Whos on first, and Whats on second?

Sort of goes along with the whole theme of "What's wrong with Canadian Soccer". Well, are groups like Akal, who clearly have some innovative training techniques, and talented players in their system, actually helping the situation, or contributing to it's ineptness? They seem to be driving a Fast Cat there...nice boat and all, but does fcuk all for the waterways it "serves". Seriously, where do the better players want to play? Do they get the training here then go back to India and play for that National side (like many Fijians playing over here have done)?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

So is THAT why India is such a threat internationally in the beautiful game?

Thanks, Dude. You've made things make so much more sense.:D

Trece

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

News to me too......

Which VMSL players are playing?

Dude........what the hell is your point?

Sandman

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

No kidding!

All I know is this: the Akal system has tallent, and continues to produce tallent. Yet, asside from the VMSL, where do they go? How many are actually involved w/ BCSA, CSA, or Whitecaps?

Yes, CSA and BCSA, in themselves, are a well documented laughing stock right now. But, some of these players must be going somewhere.

Point being...what's my point?

Oh yes...what is the Akal mandate?

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs said:
Gilly, who's on the team besides yourself?:D

Regzilla,

I will not be playing...it is summer time and it's time to golf (and the game is coming around....ask Platinium)....no serious soccer this summer for me besides that summer tournament we'll be playing together!!!!:wa:

Gilly

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I was asked to play in this game but after asking for some info like who was coaching and who was playing I didn't get much of the answers I wanted. And this was at the most 3 weeks ago. It seemed really rushed and unorganized, so I declined. I'll be playing beach volleyball at Jerico instead.

My brother and I were asked again this weekend as I think they're worried about not having enough players. I was told that there are guys from Croatia, Indo and Temple, but I don't know who. After talking to someone in the "know" I think my bro is going to lace them up.

To me, it seems a bit dodgey and I for one don't want to be embarassed. If this really is Cruzeiro they will be a good footy team. The likes of Millwall, Sunderland, and Hearts. I've been lucky enough to play against the Whitecaps in the all-star game a few times and also versus Millwall with the best players in the VMSL at the time and we were in tough.

I really wish the local lads the best of luck out there on wednesday and hope they don't get lit up too badly. But to play a team of this quality, you have to be prepared and I just don't see that. I hope you prove me wrong and it turns out to be a decent game.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

From what I have heard they are bringing primarily a B team as they are in season at the moment. So a B team against a B allstar team. Sounds like it is worth 20 bucks. Although, I hear the Lion is playing so if he throws in a free meal with that $20 maybe It's woth the watch.

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Like my brother mentioned earlier, I am going to be playing in this game. I am looking forward to the game. It will be cool just to step on the field with players of that calibre no matter what the outcome is. We have a training session tomorrow and I will try to post who the players are after i find out. So far i know that Matt Omerod, Steve Frazao, Devon Greenside, and Craig Demello will also be playing in the game.

Cheers

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Took the family out to Town Center for the evening and caught most of the game.....Cruzeiro 4 BC Allstars 0

The 30 or so Allstars had representation from a variety of teams (Premier, Div. 1, Div. 2, U21) in the VMSL/FVSL. Players from Indo/Akal, Sporting, Inter, Croatia, AFC, Peace Arch, Surrey United, Pegasus, Sikh Temple, and other teams.

The Cruzeiro squad were very skilled on the ball and technically very sound. However, they did not meet my expectations of a professional Division 1 club from Brazil. They were good, but nothing out of the ordinary. I feel that if more time was given to put together a cohesive team, or if a current competitive summer league team (ie/ Whitecap reserves) played the game, the result would probably have been different.

Nevertheless, a very determined effort by those players who participated. They all put on a good show for the fans that showed up.

PS/ Shout of the game - while I was throwing a football along the east sideline, a brazilian supporter or ballboy, asks me to stop. He says "this is an international friendly." My response...."oh really";)

I'm sure Gomesy will give a better detailed description of what it felt like on the field against an international powerhouse!!!:wa:

Gilly

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0