Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Daniel Fernandes - Portugal Goalie

junglee

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How does a 'giant' keeper slip through the cracks of Canadian Soccer and end up in the Portugal National camp? Where'd this kid play? I've heard that he's presently the no. 3 guy on the roster. Not bad for a Vancouver kid.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Giant is right! This boy is huge!! I did some coaching with him and European Soccer School in West Van.

He played at Sporting Lisbon, Celta Vigo and now PAOK in Greece. He was in Dale's under 20 mix but he (Daniel) told me that Dale didnt like his attitude so he didnt play him.

Could turn out to be a big mistake for Canada.

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
in portugal: he played for FC Porto and his dad told me he's on his way to the EPL in England...

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
i've played w/ Daniel, he was the first and last keeps to take my starting position, he is one hella guy, i always wondered how he never got called up for BCs or Nationals, we played for Van. Selects for a year then he went strait to Portugal....you guys should see this kid, he is a monster in net, great work ethics too

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FCbytca said:
i've played w/ Daniel, he was the first and last keeps to take my starting position...
You're unbelievable. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about your goalkeeping.

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
hey dont' hate me cuz i'm s3xY, so u gonna retire huh?? i've been thinking of it also :(, i guess that would be the end of rivalry...

Back to Daniel, you should check out the PAOK page...by the way where did u guys get the info on him being selected for the Portugese team???

junglee

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
it was announced on portugese t.v., the guy who saw the clip even saw Daniel in the background doing some training. It's a big leap from Van Selects to Portugese Nationals.

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
FCbytca:

3 goalies selected

Starter: Ricardo-Sporting Portugal
Backup: Quim-Benfica
2nd Backup: Daniel Fernades-PAOK

he will probably be the starter one day soon...

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
yeah no kiddin, he has talent hopefully he will stay healthy, to see someone do so well from out here is great to see, i can't wait to tell my kids one day that he is the guy i played on a team with :p

bdogg

Feb 27, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
FCbytca said:
hey dont' hate me cuz i'm s3xY, so u gonna retire huh?? i've been thinking of it also :(, i guess that would be the end of rivalry...

Back to Daniel, you should check out the PAOK page...by the way where did u guys get the info on him being selected for the Portugese team???

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/default.asp

there have been many debates about Fernanades on the vees board.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
zenga said:
He was in Dale's under 20 mix but he (Daniel) told me that Dale didnt like his attitude so he didnt play him.

Could turn out to be a big mistake for Canada.

I heard that the coaches didn't think he was big enough!

Owen Hargraves,
I play for England now.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the Up Front webcast with Dale Mitchell (look it up), we asked him specifically about DF. You should have a listen because he makes total sense.

How many know what ANY player will become at an early stage, especially when you have others at the time that are just as capable?

Dale had a job to do and that was to put the best product on the field that he could at the time. They made the quarterfinals so you can't really criticize him can you?

How many in Canada have ever seen DF play? Many on the "Vees", as you call them, don't have a fricken clue. They are commendable in their dedication to 'supporting' the national team, but I don't think there are very many on there that really understand the game.

bdogg

Feb 27, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, i totally agree with you that Mitchell made the right decision at the time. he had a chance to see Fernandes and Karim both play for him. he chose Karim and they made the 1/4 finals. no room to second guess him at all.

I have no time for people who are born in this country and choose to represent another (internationally) out of sheer opportunism. Fernandes and Whoregreaves are prime examples.

As for the Vee's. yes, there are a lot of wingnuts on there but you won't find a group of people anywhere CSA included (although that's not saying much) who know more about Canadian soccer and its players.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bdogg said:
Regs, i totally agree with you that Mitchell made the right decision at the time. he had a chance to see Fernandes and Karim both play for him. he chose Karim and they made the 1/4 finals. no room to second guess him at all.

I have no time for people who are born in this country and choose to represent another (internationally) out of sheer opportunism. Fernandes and Whoregreaves are prime examples.

As for the Vee's. yes, there are a lot of wingnuts on there but you won't find a group of people anywhere CSA included (although that's not saying much) who know more about Canadian soccer and its players.

Here here.

You just may be the second smartest person here on TTP. :D

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe if Hargraves got picked for the U-17 or U-20 (can't remeber) national team he would have stuck it out. But instead of taking a kid from Bayern Munich thay took a bunch of University players. I guess Munich saw something the CSA didn't.

Animal

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All TTP ing asside, would be interesting to hear the full story on this kid, if anyone actually knows the history...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0