Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

David Testo out of the closet

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ex-Whitecap David Testo out of the closet, says being pro athlete, gay 'incredibly hard'

David Testo, who played professional soccer for the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps, came out of the closet Thursday, saying he wished he had revealed his homosexuality sooner.

"Living the life of a professional athlete and being gay is incredibly hard," Testo, 30, told CBC’s French-language Radio-Canada. "It’s like carrying around a secret, you know, and carrying around luggage and just never being allowed to be yourself."

Testo said his teammates were aware of his sexual orientation and were supportive.

“I’m gay. I didn’t choose this. This is just who I am,” Testo told CBC. “I really do regret not having come out publicly earlier. It’s something I struggled with my whole life and whole career.”

Testo, a native of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, played for the Impact from 2007 until he was released last month. He was the team’s MVP in 2009.

He played for the Whitecaps in 2006 and ’07.

Not that there is any thing wrong with that - JBN

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are we not at the point in this day and age where their shouldn't even be a "closet" anymore? I mean if everyone just "manned" up and "got some balls" (no pun intended) and let everyone know who they really are wouldn't the problem be yesterdays newspaper? The reason why it's still possibly a big deal is because it seems rare to have professional atheletes that are gay when really the atheletes just don't come out. Until they do come out this will always be an issue for people that may live in a trailer park or have a mom that's also their aunt.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No doubt, this shouldn't even be news. It's obvious it's not an issue as he says his teammates were aware and were supportive. But there unfortunately is a part of society that doesn't tolerate or can't understand it, which forces many, especially athletes, to remain silent.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
No doubt, this shouldn't even be news. It's obvious it's not an issue as he says his teammates were aware and were supportive. But there unfortunately is a part of society that doesn't tolerate or can't understand it, which forces many, especially athletes, to remain silent.

ummmmmm.....

You wanna tell us something?

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are we not at the point in this day and age where their shouldn't even be a "closet" anymore? I mean if everyone just "manned" up and "got some balls" (no pun intended) and let everyone know who they really are wouldn't the problem be yesterdays newspaper?

I see a new popular thread emerging here: TTP'ers MANning Up

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree freddy...TTP'ers man up and come out of the closet! Dude? KNVB? Regs? come on?

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel for the guy, having to lie about who you are is never easy. And then pretending your something your not is always difficult on the mind. but, personaly, i really don't care if this guy or one of my teamates is gay. your gay, not special. i'm not trying to down play any of the crap small pockets of society feeds them. But everyone i know doesn't care that someone is gay or lesbian or transgender. HA Best insult i ever heard was from a transgender. Just be yourself. I find it kinda sad that these small pockets of society are still very loud and still very visible. Gay, lesbian, transgender, hermaphradite, doesn't make my beer taste any worse.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't recal if Greg LouGayness came out of the closet before or after he retired?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0