Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Diving - How do they get rid of it?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
After watching the Canada game tonight, I have to ask. Is there a way to get rid of the diving?

It's getting worse. Much worse.

I have an idea, but doubt it could/would ever be implemented.

Here is what I propose:

Play the game. Have an official or crew of some sort review every game. They pick out the dives(easy to spot for the most part)and anyone caught doing it, automatic red card and a one game suspension.

Too harsh? I bet the diving would stop over night.

Thoughts?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
After watching the Canada game tonight, I have to ask. Is there a way to get rid of the diving?

It's getting worse. Much worse.

I have an idea, but doubt it could/would ever be implemented.

Here is what I propose:

Play the game. Have an official or crew of some sort review every game. They pick out the dives(easy to spot for the most part)and anyone caught doing it, automatic red card and a one game suspension.

Too harsh? I bet the diving would stop over night.

Thoughts?

I agree it is getting worse. The problem is that players feel it is part of the game and part of being successful because it works. Players try to sell fouls, ask The LION he thinks we should because everyone else does...Italians. I personally don't think the ref's are doing enough, I see the odd yellow card but there are 10-12 diving incidents a game, throw out 10 cards. If it is in the offensive box it should be a straight red card. An unjust penalty shot can win a team a game, trying to fake it should punish a team in the same manner. A ref not falling for it is not enough, if he embellishes toss him a card everytime you are sure. I just don't get the jumping 10 feet in the air and rolling around, the body just doesn't react like that naturally.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balsa works with Bob Sawtell, perhaps he can provide some insight as to what is being done...........or at least what is being suggested.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Diving/faking injury........team must play short for the next 20 minutes. It is at the ref's discretion so players would be a lot more careful....if another guy dives during this time, then they play two short for that period......THEN a review panel looks at the incidents and determines whether they were dives. Suspended for the next game if they think they dives were just that.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
hahah.. love it.

I think that if any sort of rule change went through, it would have to be replays used after the game.
In game replays would just kill the flow and energy of the game.

But...
There are times when Joe Canadian, hopped up on too much beaver buzz his team mates gave him, want to go through a guy. As he just finished watching a hockey game in his Canucks jersey. Or leaving LaCrosse practice early to play soccer.

Euro/Latin blood Canadian kid sees this tackle coming, as the foam from Gattuso's mouth is spraying half the field. DIVES out of the way of the tackle,(or allows slight contact) so he doesn't have to have ankle surgery, as the turf fields he plays on these days, don't have much give. As well as he likes to work with a little less pain, Mon-Friday.

If refs started getting dive happy, there would be some bad calls going the other way as well. As some refs wouldn't see the guy trying to slip out of one/also sell to the ref how he could have gotten smashed. As the ref could be over 60 yards away on the play from a huge long ball transition play.

I do agree there is to much in the sport some games. And its harder to sell in tackle hungry markets. And maybe a slight change with after game reviews will diminish the extra curricular dives 15% or so.

I've seen to many local games where the much more skilled team gets mucked off the park with late tackles and not nearly enough yellows being shown.
I'd rather see more yellows for fouls earlier in matches, so we watch skilled games. Then yellows for questionable dives.

This would make it much easier on refs, if the game was cleaner, then the real dives would stand out.

We have all seen tackles that would be straight reds on t.v. that are sometimes warnings or yellows locally.
Good Ol' Canadian Kids.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Serious Question....

Do you guys think that the soccer forums in South America/Europe are wanting to implement rule changes to the game over diving? Or have they accepted it as part of the game?

Or could it be our environment and Canadian/North American culture that effects our viewpoint?

I think the south american leagues are by far the worst for diving. I've honestly never heard anyone, in my travels there, ever say they don't like soccer cause they hate the diving.... or soccer players are "pussies". Why here?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like TheRob's suggestion, just scaled back: post match review yellows, and be more “opportunistic” during matches on awarding yellows for obvious dives.

At our level, obviously, you can't be reviewing, but if the trend starts at the top, it will filter down.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lion: good point. You only hear that viewpoint in Canada and the US.

That being said, it is our culture to play these tougher games (hockey, lacrosse, American football) , where play acting is very much frowned upon. So, naturally, because of those sports we see the playacting and just cringe.

And, I can tell you too, in my travels overseas and discussing the game, often times the Latino playacting comes up as something they too disgust (depending on where...the Portuguese pub owner I got into it with had no issue w/ C. Renaldo...shockingly).

Get into it w/ a Scott, Englishman, or Frenchman (Rugby culture prevails), and you'll find that their views are near identical to ours, just spoken from a much more intelligent viewpoint. To them, it is another element of the game that requires "management", where we view it as something that needs eliminating.

I agree with you that culturally, the Canadian and American masses are just so far behind the casual Euro fan...but, I still think there is some improvement to be had within the game by taking a new, tougher approach to scale the playacting back...make it so that playacting can not only impact a team positively, but negatively if they decide that it is to be a significant part of their strategy.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Get into it w/ a Scott, Englishman, or Frenchman (Rugby culture prevails), and you'll find that their views are near identical to ours, just spoken from a much more intelligent viewpoint.

When Lion mentioned 'Europe' I was just going to say the same.
The UK I would suggest is different.

Oh, and buh-bye Ronaldo you pussy-assed moany cnut.
He was fcuking on about it at the Bernabeau the other day how the referees don't protect the players in the EPL.
Wah.
Get off your ass poof.
Ditto to you Lion. ;) :D

Kyle Lafferty faked that he got head butted in a match at Ibrox this year against Aberdeen, 'dove' to the ground and the 'offender' was sent off with a red.
Horseshit and it was embarrasing as a Rangers fan.
Lafferty promptly got benched by Rangers, fined, and publicly apologized for his actions.
I'd like to see more of that style of discipline as an alternative to the ones mentioned above - Over the long term I think it would help.
Diving is seen in Scotland of course just like anywhere else but like I said I'd suggest it is not accepted like it is in some other countries.

Scotlandforever

:)

Good thread TR!

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And...chatted with three referees last night about jersey tugging and shite like this and how football has evolved more and more into a cheating sport.

You just see shite nowadays that is not sportsmanship and how is the game getting to this stage?
Your first reaction is to cheat, not to just PLAY THE FCUKING GAME.

As I said, get your ass up off the grass and let the refs make the call, and get on with it without the acting.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not in to the acting. That has to go. Acting and diving are two different things sometimes.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whatever Sophia Loren. :D

Need to pop by for a plate of pasta and a cheeky chianti soon.

Cheers,
RF

Attachments

• 259077~Sophia-Loren-Posters.jpg
    259077~Sophia-Loren-Posters.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 324

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How are diving and acting different. By diving you are facking something that hasn't happened.

Mrs. Dude tells me she dives a lot, too.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
just the extra rolling around.. grabbing a part of the body that wasn't hit.... carried to the sideline just to come back on in a minute.. that type of acting.

RF,
You might even get to see some ol' black and white movies of Ms.Loren when you do end up coming by for that Bolognese and Chianti. Hope to see you!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, with a dive in the box taking Canada out of the Gold Cup, should replays and automatic suspensions be brought in?

In all seriousness, I think if you have guys getting suspended for diving after a video review of the game, it will almost stop overnight. Unless you're LION who thinks that acting is Ok.

"That's right LION! Beat them with acting!"

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
i like the ides of shamrock about the 20 mins off the field, and also like franchises idea about reds in the penalty box. Only problems with it is that teams would start complaining and saying they were fairly done by and it wasn't a dive resulting in the same kind of arguments. I honestly have no idea what can be done to get rid of it but i certainly don't like it so i never do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0