Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Duke

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dapo

He probably means me
:rolleyes:

Usually when I post, Jinks posts right after and says it doesn't meet his standards.

I posted 2 words, "Duke sucks", not my fault KNVB gets all bent out of shape.

Regs, when is my membership up? I want to get every last day out of it before it's done.

Yodahasquitquotingandkeptpostsshortbutstillnotgoodenoughforsome.

:rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy fcuk, pass the tissue.

Moan someplace else will you? This thread is for Duke banter good or bad, if all you've got is "Duke Sucks" so be it, but you've got more issues than Yoda, apparently. :rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As much as they 'suck', they are certainly putting a lump-ing on the Chippewas. J.J. Reddick(sp?) is as pure a shooter as I've seen in a long time. Go Horns. And Chippewas :rolleyes:

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He probably means me

Usually when I post, Jinks posts right after and says it doesn't meet his standards.

I posted 2 words, "Duke sucks", not my fault KNVB gets all bent out of shape.

Regs, when is my membership up? I want to get every last day out of it before it's done.

Yodahasquitquotingandkeptpostsshortbutstillnotgoodenoughfors
ome.

Aw poor little Yoda.

Regs, Jinky's picking on me! Is he allowed to pick on Premium members? Am I not allowed to kill threads at will? If you don't punish him I'll take my business elsewhere.

That's hilarious (quel suprise). I, like a great number of people on these threads avoid your boring, redundant and unimaginative posts.

Picture the scene,....... there are 2 new posts in 1 thread.
Oh good, let's see who has posted,.....click.......Oh, it's only Yoda,......Log off.

To summarise, post all you like Yodes, post anywhere you wish and do all the quoting your fragile little heart desires , just don't get your knickers in a twist when someone takes you to task for some of your input. Simply defend your posts. If you can't do that then take your licks and learn. Lots of other guys have done so and have become much better piss-takers for doing so.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kansas will crush Duke and that will be the end of this pathetic thread.:D

parkheadstillridingalongwiththeWildcats

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More cut and paste

Duke Cuts Down CMU, 86-60 3/23/2003

Alaa Abdelnaby once said that you could always tell it was March because Coach K got an extra spring in his step, and March definitely jukes the man up. In a game which some predicted as an upset, Duke overcame a quality performance by Chris Kaman to go back, yet again, to the Sweet 16, where first Kansas awaits, and then the winner of Arizona-Notre Dame. Tough weekend - but only two wins to the Final Four. Step lively!

Both teams had major adjustments to make. For Duke, they had to find a way to limit Kamen's considerable skill around the basket, which they ultimately did, trying double, triple and even quadruple teaming him. For Central Michigan, the job was to stop Duke's penetration, and then their outside shooting, and it wasn't something the Chippewas could do.

Dahntay Jones started off with another sensational first half, and it's fair to say that not only is he playing as well as anyone at Duke is - and providing tremendous leadership - but he's also playing just about as well as anyone in the tournament, period. This is not the time to talk about the NBA, but he has to be making a huge impression on scouts. He's just playing sensational basketball.

As for JJ Redick, can we have whatever he's supposedly sick with? He's sick alright - anyone with that kind of range is definitely sick. He completely eliminates any possibility of a zone defense, and on top of that, it's not like he's a savant. He drives well and passes well and his defense, while not as suffocating as Jones', is not bad.

Chris Duhon also did a superb job of running the team, and was properly aggressive on the offensive end, scoring 16.

Duke had a significant quickness advantage and wasted little time exploiting it with Jones leading the charge. Duke also forced 20 turnovers and held CMU to .368% from the floor.

Good thing they had Kamen - he hit 10-20. One other player hit 5-10, but otherwise, Duke just stifled this team's shooting - 1-3, 1-9, 2-6, 0-1, 0-1, 0-1, 2-3, 0-2, 1-2. To simplify that, the rest of the team hit 11 shots, total. Toss in the turnovers and there's not a chance you can win.

For the game, Duke shot .615%, which ain't chicken feed.

Fcuk, I hate the J-Hawks.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the game, Duke shot .615%

How the fcuk did they win the game with a shooting percentage that was less than 1 . Get your facts straight, Mr. Dukie. The shooting percentage would be 61.5% or in decimal form .615, which translates to 615/1000 as a fraction. Either fcuking way, usually a team who has such a hot hand in one game comes out with a stinker the next game. This bodes well for the cnuts from Kansas. I hate both these teams and I wish they could both be knocked out. Perhaps a brawl that would see both teams kicked out of the tournament? That would work for me.

BTW for the record, you stated their shooting percentage as a fraction was .615/1000. ;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Roy Williams got that elusive victory over Coach K -- thanks to Nick Collison.

Collison scored a career-high 33 points and had 19 rebounds to lead Kansas to a 69-65 victory over Duke in the semifinals of the West Regional on Thursday night.

A 6-foot-9 senior, Collison scored seven straight points to give second-seeded Kansas a 63-57 lead with 5:41 remaining, and the Jayhawks were on top the rest of the way.

Kansas (28-7) will face Arizona on Saturday with the winner going to the Final Four. The top-seeded Wildcats (28-3) beat fifth-seeded Notre Dame 88-71 earlier Thursday at Anaheim Arena.

Williams, in his 15th year as coach of the Jayhawks, was 0-3 in matchups with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, including a 72-65 defeat in the national championship game 12 years ago.

Jones led third-seeded Duke (26-7) with 23 points and seven rebounds. Daniel Ewing added 13 points and Chris Duhon scored 12. Freshman J.J. Redick shot 2-of-16 in scoring only five points.

The game matched two of college basketball's top coaches and elite programs. Duke has been to 13 Final Fours -- nine under Krzyzewski -- and Kansas to 11 -- three under Williams.

Krzyzewski's 60 NCAA Tournament wins are the second-most ever behind the 65 of former North Carolina coach Dean Smith.

Williams, an assistant under Smith before taking the Jayhawks' job in 1988, has a 32-13 record in the tournament. His .806 winning percentage (416-100) in 15 years at Kansas is the best among active coaches with six or more years of experience and third-best ever.

Krzyzewski is 663-274, including 590-175 in 23 years at Duke.

The game didn't reflect the fact that the Kansas entered averaging 83 and Duke almost 82, making them two of the six highest-scoring teams in the country.

Aaron Miles scored with 52.7 seconds left to give Kansas a 67-61, and Michael Lee added a free throw with 34.1 seconds to play for a seven-point lead.

Dahntay Jones made two baskets for Duke before Miles made a free throw with 16.8 seconds left to complete the scoring.

Keith Langford added 13 points for the Jayhawks. Kirk Hinrich, averaging 17.5 points, shot 1-of-9 for two points, but it didn't matter. Collison made 14-of-22 shots -- mostly from inside.

Jones scored five points to spark a 9-1 run to start the second half to put Duke on top 44-36. But the Jayhawks scored the next nine points -- four by Collison -- for a one-point lead.

Neither team led by more than two points after that until Collison got going. He wound up scoring 12 straight points for his team.

Hinrich scored his only points with 12:25 left on a short jumper to tie it at 49.

It was 35-all at halftime despite the fact that Hinrich didn't score and Redick shot 1-of-6 for three points. Redick, called the nation's best freshman by Krzyzewski, was averaging 15.3 points.

Lacking in depth to begin with in part because of a season-ending shoulder injury to starter Wayne Simien last month, Kansas received a blow when center Jeff Graves picked up his third foul midway through the first half.

But his teammates picked up the slack after Ewing and Redick made 3-pointers to give Duke a 22-13 lead -- largest of the game for either team.

It was 27-20 when Kansas went on a 15-8 run to finish the half.

The Associated Press News Service

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by knvb
Fcuk, I hate the J-Hawks.
Let me repeat.... Fcuk, I hate the J-Hawks. :mad:

Boy, did Duke ever fall apart in last half of the second. They're going to have to replace the back boards in Anaheim thanks to Redick, good thing there is plenty of BRICKS around to do it with. :rolleyes: 1 for fcuking 12 from beyond the arch. Take the hint, cnut. You suck. Stop chucking up the ball up.

Looked like a SDSS 3 point contest out there.

Sensei, should be happy a big no vert having white guy dominated and my team is done. What kind of beer did you say you wanted?

Duke Killer. Cnut.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Redick was awful. Two-for-sixteen is ugly, especially down the stretch, when a few scores by the Blue Devs could have turned the tide. But really, like I mentioned in the March Madness thread, you can't let Collison go for 33 and 19 and expect to win. If you're not overly strong in the paint and you're matched up against one of the 'premier' big men in the country, I think you'd make it a primary concern to pull out all the stops so he doesn't beat you. Well, that philosophy went out the window. 33 points and 19 rebounds in a game where your team scores 69 and pulls down 47 boards (Kansas outrebounded Duke 47-33 on the night) is a MASSIVE performance.

I'm not sure I've wrapped up this case of beer yet, as Florida assclowned me with that brutal performance against Michigan State. Only time will tell. Obviously the big one now is the much-anticipated Kentucky v. Arizona game in the final four.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too true. Unfortunately. Where the hell is Sandman? I need a shoulder to cry on.

Mike's whispering... "Stop your blubbering kid. It's your fault you kept kicking the fcuking ball out to him."

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
An excellent college Basketball game watching two primo programs go at it:

-Collison who was heavily recruited, chose Kansas over Duke 4 years ago.....it came back and bit Duke in the ass. The guy played 40 minutes at the same pace. Casey Sanders was knackered half way through the first half.
-Graves from Kansas is BRUTAL.
-Casey Sanders should not wash his hands with butter, that guy can not catch a ball.
-JJ Redick 2 for 16? he'll be back.
-As solid a game that Collison played, the reason Duke lost was Redick's stat's. Not having an overpowering inside game, Duke NEEDED badly JJ to at least shoot 35% from the field not 12%.
-Kansas won't get by Arizona......Roy Williams is overated and Collison can be neutralized by Arizona's big men.
-Duke is still the most successful school in NCAA hoops for the last 20 years

Sandman

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By Paul Forrester, Special to SI.com
Why aren't Duke players more successful in the NBA?

Courtesy of the NCAA tournament, we've all been given a glimpse into a possible future of the NBA, replete with Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and T.J. Ford. The quickness, ball-handling and maturity under pressure that these three and some of their college brethren have displayed appear to translate into the pro-style game. Oddly enough, though, the athletes from the school at which the aforementioned traits are gospel, Duke, rarely translate into Grade A pros.

To be honest, the relative lack of success that Duke players have achieved in the NBA perplexes OTG. They have the best coach in the college game, a loyal and loving fan base, talented teammates and pressure-packed games in the national spotlight. That should be a recipe for pro success, shouldn't it? Yet year after year we get Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Cherokee Parks, Trajan Langdon and William Avery. Fundamentally sound players all, but none around which you would build a team. The same seems to be true this year with Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer.

Of the two Dookies you can legitimately term stars, Elton Brand has already been traded once (whether you agree or not, at least one NBA GM didn't think Brand was a primary building block), and Grant Hill's career is in jeopardy far before his life as an athlete should be over.

Ironically, the Blue Devil with, perhaps, the most ability, Corey Maggette, is one of the few that coach Mike Krzyzewski did not give his blessing to, thanks to Maggette's early departure from Durham. While the fact that so many Blue Devils make it to the NBA may be something to crow about, the harsh reality is that for a program that recruits so many high-school All-Americans and wins so much, Duke does a rotten job of turning out top-notch NBA players. OTG won't claim to know the cause but here are some possible reasons.

Thin Skin: Jay Williams will probably lose more games this year than he has in all the years of his entire basketball life, combined. Who is to blame? Well, according to Williams, it's the Chicago Bulls' system, the famed triangle offense, that is stifling his ability to run Chicago into the win column. While OTG agrees the notion of running the triangle in Chicago with its primary proponents on the West Coast is foolish, it isn't the primary reason the Bulls are headed toward another spot in the draft lottery. That has a lot more to do with coach Bill Cartwright's puzzling rotations, Eddy Curry's and Tyson Chandler's rate of development and, oh yeah, playing a point guard from Duke who shoots less than 38 percent and hands out fewer than five assists a game.

Williams, of course, isn't the first player from Duke to complain about his initial NBA surroundings. Danny Ferry took the silent way out and hauled off overseas for a few seasons while Christian Laettner took a more vocal route in expressing his displeasure with a Kevin Garnett-less Minnesota. I am not suggesting that any player should sit back and tally up the losses with a smile on his face. But even the best players have to deal with losing 20 times a season. When the complaining starts before a player has developed his game to the best level it can attain, it is whining. When Williams gets his game in order, then he can criticize.

The Mirage of Talent: The fact that Duke plays in so many big games -- and on national TV -- gives its players a sheen of quality that exists only as long as Mike Krzyzewski is coaching those players. Shane Battier won the Naismith and the Wooden awards by scoring 19.9 ppg, grabbing 7.3 rpg and shooting 47 percent from the field during his final season at Duke. Two years later, it's clear that Battier's trophies won't have any company on his mantle soon, what with his 9.3 ppg and 4.5 rpg.

As I said before, it isn't as if the Duke boys don't have NBA skills; they just don't have NBA skills equal to the expectations we fans, and many a general manager, place on them. Trajan Langdon could have been a perfectly serviceable two-guard off the bench. Instead, he's the No. 11 pick in the first round and his inability to do much but shoot is glaringly apparent against other NBA starters. OTG wonders if Atlanta regrets selecting Roshown McLeod with the 12th overall selection in the 1998 NBA Draft before later draftees Ricky Davis, Rashard Lewis and Cuttino Mobley.

Duke players always fall into that "winner" category, that intangible quality that many a GM or coach believes makes a difference on a team. While that may be true if you are adding a long-range marksman to a playoff club with a great post game, it isn't a quality around which you build a team. For that, you need players with talent oozing out of their ears. You need the Shawn Marions from UNLV or the Tracy McGradys out of Mt. Zion high school. "Winners" make nice complementary parts. They know how to play a role on a winning team; they rarely form the backbone.

The Blue Devil Mystique: While Duke may not be producing future NBA All-Stars each year, no other school is consistently churning them out, either. Steve Francis may have come from Maryland, but so did Joe Smith. Baron Davis was a fabulous choice out of UCLA, quite unlike Jerome Moiso a year later. Still, for the constant flow of high school luminaries Duke receives, very few develop into the pro stars they seem to have the talent to become. Is Krzyzewski's system to blame? Dean Smith had a pretty rigid system in Chapel Hill and still managed to turn out Michael Jordan, Rasheed Wallace and Jerry Stackhouse. Whatever the reason, talented players don't come out of Duke the same way they came in.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very True

Great article Sensei.

So what are your feelings on it? Why does Duke turn out mediocre NBA talent year after year.

My thoughts are that Duke is always blessed with 5 talented players, (if not more), each year that all contribute to a winning team. That's the way coach K likes it. He hates to have to depend on one superstar.

Most of the top players in the NBA were the sole superstar on their college team and were better at stepping up in the crunch and being the star, as opposed to Duke where they all shared the limelight equally.

Just my thoughts.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Methinks you may be on to something Yoda and I will have to agree witch youse. Of course it could be also as simple as Duke sucks. Thoughts Sandman or Sensei?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0