Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Enraged North Americans

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll get a little rest tonight, and roll up my sleeves for the ensuing battle in the morning. It'll get ugly, for sure. I fully expect Fastshow to poke me in the eye with a sharp stick. Can't wait- should be a blast!

Question for the Gaffa: do cricketers have groupies? What do you call them? Paddle Bunnies?
:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t claim to know anything about Rugby, except the basics: it’s a tough sport (physically and mentally), and as boring as hell to watch. It also seems that the skill level isn’t as high as sports like soccer, baseball, or gridiron football. Other than that, I know squat about it. So, no disrespect at all to rugby or rugby players.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Groupies...

...indeed we do. They get a little cougeresque from time to time. Rugby has the best groupies of any sport. No question.

Dude...get back on your pennyfarthing, ya closet yank.

;)

Where's Warney when you need him.:p

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The skill argument Dude presents is a difficult one to comprehend.

Skill in sports is all relative. One could make the claim that playing soccer takes more skill than running, say, the 100m sprint.

Anybody can sprint. You run as fast as you can, in a straight line, enough times and eventually you've figured it out.

But, that being said, anybody can play soccer. If four guys who have never played soccer before in their lives suddenly start to get together every sunday and kick a ball around - boom - they're soccer players.

So the argument must be - which sport takes more skill to be successful at? This is where things get tricky. Each sport has inner-workings and dynamics that need to be comprehended before success can be achieved. A sprinter is much more than someone who can run fast; a soccer player is much more than someone who can kick a ball and run at the same time. Each sport has its own levels of skill that are measured seperately, and cannot be compared to one another. There are techniques and methods which sprinters utilize that soccer players could not master, and vice versa. The skills are completely different, yet equal.

Saying Rugby is a less skillful game than soccer, baseball or football is essentially saying that rugby is an easier sport to comprehend or "master" than the aforementioned athletic endeavors. That doesn't seem right. If your kid stinks at baseball, but you'd like to see him succeed in a sport, do you enroll him in rugby?

Of course, this doesn't apply to shitty sports like figure skating, bowling and croquet, which require no fcuking skill whatsoever.

deb

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
and watch the groupies fly!

I find it intruiging that there is much being said about which sport is best and which sport requires more skill. I thought the real argument was which one had the best looking cheerleaders. I know it ain't cricket, us being cougars and all, but isn't that really why you blokes watch sport? Oh, and the licence to drink as much beer as possible and shout armchair abuse. I thought it was just us girls who watched it for the skill........;)

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
painful...

I can't reply to such a misinformed and amero-centric post. You'd rather be accused of being a yank than British? Sums you up nicely you enormous fadge. Having arrived in Vancouver this evening for a two week holiday, I can safely say that, apart from my mates, Canadians are a bunch of fcuking boring, humourless, fcukwits with barely two bits of clue to rub together. Harsh words? Perhaps. But fcuk it, you didn't have to travel from the world's capital of fashion, culture, and all things progressive and sit with a pile of soap-dodging tree-huggers having a right old moan about the driving, the tube, the absence of mountains. You're not in Canada you bunch of FADS (Fcuk All Divided By Six). Best thing a liver lapel like Dudeshitehandle can do is get out a tug pamphlet and get on with his menage a moi. This time don't allow the nad nogg to transcribe itself onto this thread the way you normally do with such reckless abandon. . .

Oh Canada.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
?

Deb,

Since you follow AFL, could you please pick a few winners for this weekend? I know you probably don't venture into the Captain's thread, so I would appreciate your input. Just pick a treble for me and I would appreciate it greatly.. Here are the odds.

To stay on topic, Cricket is gay, Gaelic Football is far more skillful than any of the sports mentioned, and hurling is more exciting than all of them.

The Non-Biased Trap Six

Bet Until: 12/07/2002 10:45:00

Odds Spread Competitors Spread Odds

1.90 +11.5 Hawthorn V W Bulldogs -11.5 1.90

Bet Until: 13/07/2002 04:40:00

1.85 -24.5 Kangaroos V Fremantle +24.5 1.95

Bet Until: 13/07/2002 05:10:00

1.90 -21.5 Collingwood V Geelong +21.5 1.90

Bet Until: 13/07/2002 10:10:00

1.90 +30.5 Richmond V Brisbane -30.5 1.90

Bet Until: 13/07/2002 10:40:00

1.90 -28.5 Adelaide V St Kilda +28.5 1.90

Bet Until: 14/07/2002 04:10:00

1.90 +23.5 Sydney V Port Adelaide -23.5 1.90

Bet Until: 14/07/2002 05:10:00

1.90 +14.5 Carlton V Melbourne -14.5 1.90

Bet Until: 14/07/2002 06:40:00

1.90 +7.5 West Coast V Essendon -7.5 1.90

Thanks, Deb.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
reckless abandon

The Rugby thing: I didn't say it wasn't difficult, just that the overall skill level seems lower. It does take a certain athlete to be a good rugby player- though- and if skill were measured on heart and effort, I'd take rugby players in any sport, any time.

The choice of being accused of being either a Yank or Brit? Well, that's like getting to choose between liver and spinach, isn't it? "Would you like a kick in the balls, or a punch?"

Fasty- we should get together for a pint up at Whistler while you’re in town! You can wax on about how great London is, tell as many witty, run-on sentence jokes as you can, and wear as many stylish gay-boy euro shirt / slack combos as you want. I can only do this, however, after you're done crying in your pint about your beloved England shitting the bed with a very un-Canadian effort against Brazil. Too bad Stevie Yserman can't play footy and doesn't have English citizenship, huh? Imagine; you would have stood a chance...

Long live the Queen.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Offside

Fastshow,

You're spot-on. Canadians surely are half-witted compared to the English.

Look how long we put up with you.

Furthermore, I am confident that you will not claim your GST after your holiday. It would be a fine opportunity for you to contribute to charidee. Us Canadians can sure use the help.

Buckfast.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
brutal...

But I am, supposedly, 'home'. Weather's all right but apart from that..... Gino 'face like a spat out toffee' Reda, Deborah 'clown's pocket' Hope, watching Much Music and the latest 'Pink' video, pictures of a bunch of beer queers wearing white pyjama bottoms playing a side in black bottoms at baseball, people like keeper wandering about with their doe-eyed and slack-jawed expressions getting in my fcuking way, 'hype' about the next round of edge-of-your-seat-thriller CFL match-ups where overweight and under-talented yanks fight it out for a Cup none of them can possibly give a stuff about......... and not a single thing on Aussie beating seven shades out of Great Britain in the rugby today, not a single thing about Bowyer going to the Reds yet when the EPL starts up they show two matches every fcuking Saturday which, by the way, is two more matches than we get in God's country. All this and I had to spend an hour of my life I'll never see again in Calgary last night. I feel suicidal.

Shitehandle, I'd love to come to Whistler for you to buy me a pint but the place is crawling with Antipodean sorts. They have a tendency to clamber all over my tits. Fcuking Aussies and Kiwis. Do they have to speak so annoyingly? :rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now that is one world class run-on sentence.

Wow.

Gotta agree with your assessment of Deborah Hope. She also has a face like a catcher's mitt.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why fly thousands of miles, endure what I'm sure was one of the more horrific hours of your life in Calgary to sit inside watch TV (Baseball to boot) and traded long winded banter with Dudeshitehandle?

I can imagine the looks you got sitting in the OK Airport Saloon in Calgary while you were no doubt sipping on a Heineken. The focus I'm sure would have been on the skin tight Euro bell bottoms or the silky silver tux shirt with a keen new set of Go-go boots bought especially to dazzle the ladies at the Roxy this weekend.

For fcuk sakes man. Go outside or at least come over here and do what little work I do during the day so at least one of us can enjoy your vacation. I'm sure a man with your education can handle it.

Paper or Plastic? Simple really.

Screw You Captain

Nov 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fastshow in the DCS?

Will Fastshow make a long-awaited appearance on the local darts circuit? Wednesday night at a sanctioned bar of his choice?

On a duller note, I actually watched some of a cricket game at the park with my semi-nephew. The first 45 minutes were bereft of action. Finally, a great cheer rose as they broke for tea.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
well,well

and not a single thing on Aussie beating seven shades out of Great Britain in the rugby today,
Fastshow:
are you bloody mad? i had no intention of bringing up the rugby league. that would have been cruel and unkind. when are great britian going into bat anyway?

did people know that australia is in the guinness book of records for the highest hockey score?? 108 against new zealand. i didnt even know we had a team.....or even a local comp. the newcastle team is doing ok......they should , all the players except for 2 are canadians.

maybe it's time we stopped letting the media and sponsors tell us which sports we like

deb

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
afl tips

You're right, Cap'n, I'm not one to venture into your gambling den, but I'll do my best:

Geelong
Kangaroos
Hawthorn
Brisbane
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Melbourne
West Coast - but out of bloody-minded loyalty. I love my boys!!!!!!

Nice to see we're discussing a decent sport.......
:p

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ouch!

On a duller note, I actually watched some of a cricket game at the park with my semi-nephew.

Teachers really are lost souls during summer vacation, aren't they?

Interclub match-up tonight at NAP: Rangers vs. Royals. Experience vs. Youth (except me). Ball movement vs. Foot speed (except me, of course). Air-game vs. Ground-game (don't know where I fit in there). Big cooler vs. Little cooler (I'll be a Ranger after the game).

It'll be a cracker! Captain; can you lay the odds on this beauty? :cool:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0