Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fcuk the NDP

Rosie11

Sep 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now, mostly PE, but there is no difference in my socials, english or business ed classes. This has also been at three different schools

Sorry Dutch, I'll be more exact for you next time. 57% of my classes are at 30 or more students. This year I had a class at 31, two at 30, 2 at 28(1 started at 30, but two students moved), 1 at 25 (Specialized class capped at 25) and a class of 24(Again started at 28 , but a few students moved, expelled.. ect). Would you like me to provide each of my 8 years of classes? This was a smaller year in terms of number. I have had upwards of 33 a few times in my career. And as for teaching by myself, I have had 1 EA in 1 of my classes in the past three years and less than 5 total during my career.

I'm not arguing for either side of the strike/ job action/ lockout, but rather simply trying to clarifying information.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you mean you are trying to clarify information...or are trying to provide clarifying information.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear talks have stalled. of course they have stalled. now is when the teachers start there 2 month vacation. i assume talks will continue sometime septemberish. but it's all about the students. every time i hear the teachers union brass say that, i'm expecting the wink,wink, nudge,nudge motion to the other board members. i think your average teacher just wants a fair raise and alitle better working condition( class size ). to bad the union brass seem to be getting in the way of things. but, what do you expect from a guy with a mullet.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not rocket science.

There's a bucket of cash and the Gov't was elected on the promise to not spend foolishly. The TF advocated against any economic development projects which could have generated more source funds for said bucket and actively advertised against the Libs during the last election. Sadly this is political and both sides have to agree on a number for said bucket of cash that neither side is happy about.... more importantly the TF needs to give up a LOT on the benefits side if they want to realistically settle with class comp/size dealt with and a reasonable wage increase.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes.....was talking to someone last night who is on the govt side of things and it appears it would have been REALLY easy to get a deal done.....but someone with initials J and I.......wanted nothing to do with it. It's depressing. It really is because of the amount of rubbish that gets spewed around on both sides. Person was VERY honest about not wanting to save the money that we have been giving them.....he said they REALLY wanted a deal. Talks are basically done until September. Awesome.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
on the womens team i help coach we have several teachers, of various degree and type. some have been teaching for a few years, some a few months. but i'm pretty sure they are all under 10 years. most of what they say to me is that they really aren't getting any usefull info about why they are on strike. some have even been bullied to strike more or cause more of a stink to quote them directly. i get the feeling that this is the union brass and a small percentage of teachers, agains't the goverment. the rest just want to work. At least, thats what the girls say to me.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spending money on education is not foolish. The education system needs to be improved. I am going on what my sons tell me. Teachers are spending more time on managing rather than teaching because of the numbers. Last time I checked the facts govt is proposing scraping the class size and making it possible to have 40 students in a class. That is not right. Furthermore, teachers have not had a raise in 4 years and that needs to be addressed fairly.
On the other hand, speaking of PE, my son had a female PE teacher who was 5 1 and was like 200 pounds. She would come to class drinking her coffee and just sitting around. Now that is something serious wrong with this as well. Needs to be addressed.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh what's that? Summer vacation is almost over?

Guess we better get back out there on the picket lines!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How old is your oldest, Regs? School age yet?

It's beyond being a joke. On one hand, I want them back in school. On the other, I don't mind collecting their wages to fund my vacation account. Two of the last three years have been a waste of time, so far as having kids in school goes.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude:

The $40/day fund doesn't get paid out until AFTER this nonsense is resolved. As the parent of a kid going into Grade 11, I hereby authorize Vince Ready to use a baseball bat to help convince the pinheads on either side of the table to sort this out and get my kid back to school.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How old is your oldest, Regs? School age yet?

It's beyond being a joke. On one hand, I want them back in school. On the other, I don't mind collecting their wages to fund my vacation account. Two of the last three years have been a waste of time, so far as having kids in school goes.
My boys are going into Grade 4 and Grade 2... the oldest asked his teacher last June if she was going on strike because she wanted more money :)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have ZERO issue with the Govt treating the TF like the Activist Political Organization it has acted like over the last 20 years. The TF has lost most of/nearly all of what remaining public support they had, which is to say all those unhappy with Christy and the BCLibs.

Sorry kids, sit tight. If you want to make an omelette you're going to break a few eggs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude:

The $40/day fund doesn't get paid out until AFTER this nonsense is resolved. As the parent of a kid going into Grade 11, I hereby authorize Vince Ready to use a baseball bat to help convince the pinheads on either side of the table to sort this out and get my kid back to school.

I'm being fairly sarcastic here, Trece. Not sure you had your sarcasm meter on.

I want my kids in school, but fcuk me, the disruptions the past 2 of 4 years are damaging...and my oldest is only going into grade 10.

Many teachers seem to be doing their best in a crappy situation, so far as communicating to parents, etc., but we've had a couple now who take a hard line so far as their union's recommendations on their "duties". While with my daughter we knew exactly where she stood on grades, and areas of attention needed, with my son we had no idea a couple of years back on his progress, dispite pointed e-mails (remember, we had no way of meeting them face-to-face) asking for real feedback. It was a joke, and last year towards the end we ran into the same BS.

The private school options for us are few in between. We want non denomonational, so anything Cathlic, or otherwise, is out. There wa sa waiting list at Southridge a couple of years back when we were serious. Now, I think we'll look towards getting mini Dude in there for grades 11 & 12, to give him the best shot at preparing for post secondary with no disruptions. I'm sure that list has grown, too. Bloody hell.

For the most part, my opinion falls in line w/ JBN's...the teachers have lost my sympathy. The Government never had it, so that is a moot point.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
"The Government" isn't a political thing for me. The party that makes up "The Gov't" has never been able to make peace with the TF, except in the one case the NDP sank the Poison Pill on CC and CS when they knew they were going out for a long time out...which was political. "The Govt" is who is in power today, which is important to note.

When filtering out the noise from all stakeholders comments you have to take into account the political leanings of the Govt of the day. I don't see the political leanings that the BC Libs would normally be accused of here at play. I think they could curry a lot of favor from people who traditionally don't support them by getting this figured out, no mater how it's figured out. This is a centrist position to take considering the Lion's share of the voters are indeed tax payers and to take a position of strength on a debate which essentially boils down to who has the Authority or Perception of Know-How to spend our Tax Dollars in the classroom. The TF think they know better than Parents, Govt, School Boards and Trustees- so instead of trying to be a trade union and look to defend the position of their members they are also trying to become more than a valued stakeholder, they are loobbying through the Collective Bargaining Process to be THE Authority, and they often will posit things that have sweet fcuk all to do with Classroom Funding as "Per Student/Per Capita" Funding issues... but sweeter benefits and massage and signing bonus' don't trickle down to John and Mary Smith's Kids in the classroom. Good but not gold-plated compensation packages will allow for more resources to trickle down to students and classrooms and resources in the classrooms- I submit to you that if Jim Iker and co got this in their head that we'd be beyond all this crap and kids would be off to class next week instead of off on holiday because Mum and Dad can vacation in smaller crowds with no class to attend here at home.

Instead there's still 70k accredited teachers in the province for what amounts to 30k jobs, and the TF is trying to figure out the codes to the BC Gov't Vault to keep the Uni's producing more and more teachers.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0