Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Friendlies over the break

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
ACBC CAT 4- Langley Nomads 3
A good run for both teams and a good friendly to get back into league play.

Rich I expect my payout for gifting you the game. Who commits two penalites?!?! Though our onloan keeper almost had the first.

Our friend the ref didnt understand the spirit of the game and took himself way too seriously.

We should have had a few more goals, but mr. hauser seemed to like pulling them too far wide of the post.

Good to get the cobwebs out and run off some of that turkey.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks again for coming out ACBC,

That referee was a total abomination, total nutter, didn't understand anything we were trying to accomplish.

You know you are going to have a rough night when both teams managers approach the ref to let him know the spirit and intent of the game and he is stand-off-ish and dictator-like in his speech and body language,

I verbally undressed this arsehole earlier in the year and he is obviously still holding a grudge against me and my team, sadly...

He must be a real loser in life to have to come out to the soccer field and act like that...

Total Jerk that did a piss poor job for both teams

I totally know what you mean about linesmen Rich.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
ACBC 2- Poco City Premier 1 ;)

Great match, Great way to get back on after the break.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
who was the ref, JBN?

I don't know his name...I should as we have had him way too many times this year, I asked once in a friendly manner and he was very stand-off-ish.

It seems every game I approach him pre-game to say hi and pay him or do the coin flip or whatever and he always has his back up.

I flipped on him once during a game, he yellowed me for dissent, and seems to be holding a pretty good grudge.

There were more than a few very poor calls against both teams both for offsides and tackles...I know I myself was guilty of 'selling' a few offside when I was beat down the wing and conversely we got burned bad for one where our guy took the pass, then rounded the keeper 25 yards later, as he was about to slot home the referee then blew the whistle for offside...that would have made it 3-1 Nomads.

Whatever, these things happen.

But what stinks, is that we followed proper protocol for a friendly, contacted the league, had a ref assigned, and he come in acting like God Almighty, when it would have been easier for all parties if I had just called up a ref and had him come do our game, especially one that would have been accepting of two coaches, one from each team, explaining to him the 'spirit of the game' and had it reffed that way. Now I know for the future that the best thng to do is just simply schedule the game on the 'down low' and bring in our own ref...

We were totally not concerned about the result of the game, just the process, as most teams are after a 5 week or more break...lets just get a run, a few touches and gear up for next week...

The first time we friendlied with ACBC JB did an awesome job knowing the game was simply a friendly, diffused any hostile or potentially hostile situations and got on with it, instead of treating the players and coaches like subordinants etc.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey guys, before going on thinking I am slamming the FVSL and the refs let me state that I think the league and their match officials do an awesome job of the thankless job that is refereeing senior soccer at times. 99% of the time the refereeing is good if not great, it is always the two or three games a year where a certain guy may have a shocker that we always seem to comment on and remember. Also the league does a great job imho of getting guys there. It would have been real easy for the league to say no, the league is on break, or for the ref to simply not show up because the wind made the game near unplayable at times.... but he did show and he did the game.

If you look back at a lot of my posts you will see that I go to bat for the refs a lot. I think there are some real gems out there and some real characters as well that simply add to the experience and enjoyability of the games.

I am just stating my frustrations about one ref in one instance in particular, and the situation of a friendly game and any possible consequences of bookings etc...

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
the views of Johnnybluenose in no way reflect the views of the LUFC Nomads or anyone asocciated with our team or club :D

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a bitch about the FVSL refs,,,we need fricken linesmen for Div 1 and up.
Its part of the game.
It stops behind the play bullsh(t.
It makes the ref do a better job as there are now others watching him.
It makes it easyer for the ref to do what he is supposed to do.
The most blown calls are the offside calles by far.
The yelling at the ref almost always starts with a blown offside call.
It makes for a way better game period.
Did I mention its part of the game.
Its also not fair to a ref to have him have to make those offside calls from the other side of the park because he cant be in 2 places at once.
15 year old girls get linesmen (no offence ladies)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You used to be able to pay extra for linesmen in Div. 1, but I think that was based on availability. I.e.: busy Sunday afternoon, not enough officials to go around.

Simply put: there is a shortage. If we did get linesmen, it'd be the 12-15 year old boy type variety. Not sure it is in their best interest to throw them in that kind of fire.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure it is...The Burnaby Mens League does it...

Why have rules that the league cannot properly enforce!?

I'm sorry, I understand that there is a shortage of referees, that shouldn't excuse the ones that are out of their depth from poor performances.

We play on fields largely around the youth, why not have the 15-17 year old guys come out and line?

In the BMSA it worked really well, because the kids lining had 2 responsibilities.
In/Out and Offside.
They were younger, so even if you thought they got the call wrong you thought that extra thought before verbally abusing them...which adds to everyones patience and then subsequently the referee has an easier time of it.

My $0.02

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We play on fields largely around the youth, why not have the 15-17 year old guys come out and line?

Seriously ?? You want a 15 - 17 year old kid to come out and get screamed at for 90 minutes ?? He'd last 2-3 games and he'd quit doing games for good ....

In the BMSA it worked really well, because the kids lining had 2 responsibilities.
In/Out and Offside.
They were younger, so even if you thought they got the call wrong you thought that extra thought before verbally abusing them...which adds to everyones patience and then subsequently the referee has an easier time of it.

My $0.02

Is this the same Burnaby Men's League that just suspended a guy for life because he sucker punched a referee in the side of the face after 'a blown offside call' ?? Awesome ........ you're right, I'm sure young kids can't wait to officiate in that league :rolleyes:

Since when does anyone care how old the linesman are before they yell at them for a poor decision ?? Seriously ....... give your head a shake man.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously, I played in the league last year and had zero issues, and saw zero issues, at least in our games.

No matter what you are going to have the lunatic element ruin a good thing for eveyone.

Fact is that league provides a job to some teenagers, and the kids, last year anyways, did a decent to excellent jobs, I can remember feeling hard done by a few times here and there, but then when does anyone do anything in life 100% perfectly? we all make bad passes, poor tackles, bad calls, etc, etc, etc...

I know if I was 16 years old, and had the chance to line 2 or 3 games on a Saturday night and make 25 bucks a game, I could do that saturday and sunday evening and make $150 a week!

I'm not sure what 'giving my head a shake' will do...I played in it, ran a team with kjohnsob in the league, and that I thought was the only real redeeming quality that league had.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having youth do the lines is unimaginable. there are already enough problems within the leagues without adding something else that will never and could never run smoothly. The youth players on the sideline will feel absolutely intimated after the first call they make and the first player had a go at them. Don't believe for an instant that people won't complain because they are youth doing the lines. If anything that will make the complaining worse in the the thought you can bully them to your side of the game. The refs would now have to look after the game and keep an eye on the linespeople and make sure no abuse is aimed there way.

Not sure how many teams would be willing to pay the extra cost to have youth linespeople. I know our club for one would not pay to have them as it owuld bring our home game cost with refs and field fees to 165.00 per game or something like that. The refs do a pretty good job as is and if you continue to try and play the offside trap you have to realize that they ref isn't going to call them all even if they are offside the whole game.

Wghat youth referee in his right mind would want to an adult game anyway. they pay you $25.00 to line youth games as well i believe so why take the extra hassle.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlazeArmy said:
The youth players on the sideline will feel absolutely intimated after the first call they make and the first player had a go at them. Don't believe for an instant that people won't complain because they are youth doing the lines.

Spot on Army.

johnnybluenose said:
Seriously, I played in the league last year and had zero issues, and saw zero issues, at least in our games.

I'm glad everything went smoothly for you and your team last year but the fact of the matter is that in every league in this province & country, there are problems with abuse towards officials - doesn't matter if it's youth or FIFA officials, it's all the same ........ young kids aren't going to be able to deal with it the same as older officials and thus, 90% of them pack it in before they finish high school - fact.

I know if I was 16 years old, and had the chance to line 2 or 3 games on a Saturday night and make 25 bucks a game, I could do that saturday and sunday evening and make $150 a week!

It gets old pretty fast for kids when you're standing out in the pouring rain / freezing cold, getting screamed at by muppets that spend half the time hammering the ball into the parking lot :rolleyes:

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It gets old pretty fast for kids when you're standing out in the pouring rain / freezing cold, getting screamed at by muppets that spend half the time hammering the ball into the parking lot :rolleyes:

Hey, Every game doesn't involve the Idiots.

Cheers

Army

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear what you are saying, I guess I have had positive experiences to draw on for my opinion, and we will have to agree to disagree Walks.

And I hope said Sucker-punched ref is okay, and that the offenders team beat the hell out of him along with the competing team.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
16 -17 year old boy can play in the league ,he sure can run the line.
The 16-17 year old ticketed linesmen are tought the rules and would have no problem doing a good job,,Better than no linesmen for sure.
Any player abuseing(sp) the linesmen should and would be suspended.
$25 moe bucks a game is all it would take...If we could find them..
Dont under estimate kids now a days,,,

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0