Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gold Cup 2007

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CONCACAF 2007 GOLD CUP

Tonight sees the Canadian Men's National team finally back in action in a "meaningful" game, as they take on Costa Rica.

The match will be aired LIVE on Rogers Sportsnet, kickoff is scheduled for 6:00PM Pacific.

2 local players are involved, both masters, as Tony Fonseca is the Canadian Assitant coach and Paul Dolan is the Canadian Goalkeeping coach :D

Pat Onstad was also called in as a player and he will back up Greg Sutton between the sticks.

Predictions?

Canada 2-2 Costa Rica

Next game for Canada is Saturday vs Guadaloupe (I looked it up), also on Rogers Sportsnet at 6:00PM Pacific

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This game is taking place at the Orange Bowl in Miami. Don't expect anywhere near a full house since it doesn't involve either baseball or Merkin foobaw...:rolleyes:

The rest of Canada's announced lineup (as per the CSA's web site):

1 Greg Sutton
2 Adam Braz
3 Ante Jazic
4 Marco Reda
5 André Hainault
6 Julian de Guzman
7 Paul Stalteri
8 Kevin Harmse
9 Rob Friend
10 Ali Gerba
11 Richard Hastings
12 Gabriel Gervais
13 Atiba Hutchinson
14 Dwayne De Rosario
15 Patrice Bernier
16 Martin Nash
17 Iain Hume
18 Issey Nakajima-Farran
19 Antonio Ribiero
22 Pat Onstad

For Costa Rica:

1 Wardy Alfrado
2 Jervis Drummond
3 Victor Cordero
4 Michael Umaña
5 Jose Freddy Fernandez
6 Andres Nuñez
7 Rolando Fonseca
8 Rodolfo Rodriguez
10 Walter Centeno
11 Michael Barrantes
12 Leonardo Gonzalez
13 Allen Aleman
14 Randal Azofeifa
15 Harold Wallace
16 Christan Bolaños
17 Gabriel Badilla
18 Jose Francisco Porras
19 Alvaro Saborio
20 Pablo Chinchilla
21 Windell Gabriel
23 Dexter Lewis
nn Bryan Ruiz
nn Alonso Solis

Lots more info at http://www.GoldCup.org[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Noted that they show kick-off time as 7 pm Eastern. Hate to say this, but I think it will end 2-1 for Costa Rica.

Trece
[/FONT]

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Regarding the KO time... I originally posted a start time of 4:00PM Pacific but when I searched Sportsnet, they are indicating they are showing the game at 6:00PM?

Other Gold Cup matches are being aired on GolTV throughout the tourney.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The game really does kickoff at 7pm EST (4pm PST), but I think we are getting it delayed so that Sportsnet can show the TFC/RedBulls game live.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
For some reason, that just seems so backwards to me. Show your National team live and the other game on delay... of course, it is probably all spelled out in contract agreements but seriously...

At least they won't cut away to show a telethon :rolleyes: (off-topic but that's what the NBC station in Tampa Bay did apparently the other day during the Ducks/Sens game - 3 years removed from hosting the Stanley Cup Final and this is the interest - nice one Gary!)

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Totally backwards! Of course the CSA also could have taken the onus themselves to ensure the MNT gets the best exposure possible and requested CONCACAF to swap their kick-off time with that of Haiti/Guadalupe who play at the same venue immediately after them. But that would require some kind of vision :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Not the biggest CSA fan here but I don't think you can hardly pin this one on them.

Even if the CSA did possess the power and vision to change this, you would then have people complaining that they didn't have the vision to change the date of the game so it didn't conflict with Game 5 of the Stanley Cup.

:D

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
trece verde said:
Noted that they show kick-off time as 7 pm Eastern. Hate to say this, but I think it will end 2-1 for Costa Rica.

Trece

Well TV you got the numbers right 2-1 but it was all the way around...Canada beat Costa Rica...

Mr. Rempa

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would you check this thread knowing someone might do that?

I was watching the TFC game when all of the sudden the screen went blank. When it came back, it was the Canada/CR game with about two minutes to go. Saw the score and just like that had two free hours ahead.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, now I see why this game was first and the Haiti/Guadalupe game after... all the soccer fans in Florida are Haitians immigrants and would have left after that game.

Great game by De Guzman ... shame his brother will never play for us.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonathon who?

Perhaps the best performance ever by an individual Canadian for his country, deGuzman was a level/step above everyone tonight.

More importantly, I thought Canada was great, especially through the middle of the park... along with deGuzman, Hutchison was strong.

Very encouraging.

As for posting the score in here, seriously, why check the thread during the time the game is being played? That's retarded.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks MR RETARD, now I won't bother watching the game! f**kin moron!:mad:
I am puzzled by you calling him a f**kin moron??? I think I've spotted the retard... quick run down the hallway to the bathroom and look in the mirror.

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was with the commentating!?!

Very Ernie and Bert-like. Sounded like they had their soccer commentating for dummies hand books on their laps.

Great result though. I thought that Onstad did a stand up job as a fill in. Friend is a valuable target man up front.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
They did look good. all cute too.

The commentating was sub par. But I guess they think they need to teach the public.
One of them kept repeating, "The Canadian Mens National Team", as if he was speaking of them, while we were watching another game.
Or to tell the viewers what they were watching.

It looks like the whole world is playing Zonal now... man to man, 4-4-2 seems to be gone. Having 2 strikers wait up top is in the past...

The 4-3-3 offence, turns in to the 4-5-1 defence-ivly.

True or am I retarded?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada played a 4-1-4-1 last night with Nash sitting just in front of the backline (I thought he was actually pretty effective in that role).

Friend did a great job holding up the ball and laying it off, not to mention, getting a couple of quality chances himself.

The big question is if they can repeat this performance on a regular basis.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
so basically a 4-5-1 with Nash as the holding mid. And the winger/mids jump up and turn it in to a 4-3-3 when they have the ball.

I am noticing this with many teams when watching.

I think they can do this consistently. Its a hard formation to break down, when in the 4-1-4-1 defence. And with the right person in the high 1 position, can be great going forward.

Go Canada Go!!

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
so basically a 4-5-1 with Nash as the holding mid. And the winger/mids jump up and turn it in to a 4-3-3 when they have the... when in the 4-1-4-1 defence. And with the right person in the high 1 position, can be great going forward.

Thanks for that Vic Rauter!! :D Don't you have some tortelini to stir or someething!? Get back to work!

"Buuuuun-buuuury....Peschiso-liiiiiiiiido.....Ooohhh Myyyyy"!!! :D

~S

P.S. Didn't see the game. Did we REALLY look that good?

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great work on the Rauter.

I can hear that in my head.

you missed out on one of leggats extremely loud breathe-ins.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0