Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grapes Fired

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So word is Don Cherry has been fired after the weekend shitstorm.

Me? It's a fcuking joke how "the Internet" has reacted and while I'm sure plenty will disagree, what I think he was trying to say is worthy of a discussion.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree. The man is 85 years old. Take it with a grain of salt like everything else he says.
What a way to go out. So sad. He was trying to talk of supporting the vets and wearing a poppy. That everyone should wear one. Yes the delivery wasn’t super clean, but we all know what he meant no?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you read between the lines of Sportsnet's statement where they say "following further discussions with Don Cherry..." I think it is likely that they gave him the opportunity to walk back his comments and he is choosing not to. In his only public comment he said he "had his say" and so far has chosen not to speak to the media further.

He has been out of touch for sometime, the classic older relative at the family dinner, who makes inappropriate comments but everyone just looks the other way. As the guys on PTI said today, this "firing" could have happened at just about any time over the past 40 years.

Yes, the "leftist" media is having somewhat of a field day on this, but it has been coming. His comments this time were wrong, flat out. I get where he is coming from on the veterans who are completely worthy of all the honour and recognition they receive and Cherry has always made it a point to bring them into the spotlight. However, it is not just "immigrants" that are not wearing poppies, I think it is a generation gap as well. There were plenty of ways to make this point without saying something as inflammatory as "you people come here and take all our milk and honey but won't wear a poppy." That's not accurate, its just divisive.

He could have talked about the meaning of the poppy, he could have explained to anybody that "doesn't know" why it is important and worthy of their support. He didn't. He chose to take an uninformed shot at "immigrants" in an already heightened political climate.

As I said, this has been coming. He has been walking a fine line for the last few years. With his contract coming up just about every off season recently, he had a chance to go out on his own terms, but kept coming back. Sadly, it was always going to end like this. Again, it sounds like Sportsnet gave him a chance to "clarify" his intentions and he does not want to. MacLean issued an apoligy and it will be interesting to see how he and the broadcast address it next Saturday, not to mention what fills that spot during the first intermission.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
So you are saying he had this coming and today was the best day to draw the line?

Too PC for me, sorry.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you read between the lines of Sportsnet's statement where they say "following further discussions with Don Cherry..." I think it is likely that they gave him the opportunity to walk back his comments and he is choosing not to. In his only public comment he said he "had his say" and so far has chosen not to speak to the media further.

He has been out of touch for sometime, the classic older relative at the family dinner, who makes inappropriate comments but everyone just looks the other way. As the guys on PTI said today, this "firing" could have happened at just about any time over the past 40 years.

Yes, the "leftist" media is having somewhat of a field day on this, but it has been coming. His comments this time were wrong, flat out. I get where he is coming from on the veterans who are completely worthy of all the honour and recognition they receive and Cherry has always made it a point to bring them into the spotlight. However, it is not just "immigrants" that are not wearing poppies, I think it is a generation gap as well. There were plenty of ways to make this point without saying something as inflammatory as "you people come here and take all our milk and honey but won't wear a poppy." That's not accurate, its just divisive.

He could have talked about the meaning of the poppy, he could have explained to anybody that "doesn't know" why it is important and worthy of their support. He didn't. He chose to take an uninformed shot at "immigrants" in an already heightened political climate.

As I said, this has been coming. He has been walking a fine line for the last few years. With his contract coming up just about every off season recently, he had a chance to go out on his own terms, but kept coming back. Sadly, it was always going to end like this. Again, it sounds like Sportsnet gave him a chance to "clarify" his intentions and he does not want to. MacLean issued an apoligy and it will be interesting to see how he and the broadcast address it next Saturday, not to mention what fills that spot during the first intermission.

He did go out on his own terms didnt he?

He meant what he said and wasnt taking it back.

Q: What's the difference between Cherry and Trudeau?

A: One lies to keep his job. The other doesn't.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you are saying he had this coming and today was the best day to draw the line?

Too PC for me, sorry.
Totally valid, but I think we have seen the landscape change, certainly when it comes to public comments.

Cherry told the Toronto Sun that "it's not Coaches Corner if I have to watch what I say," so clearly he was given the option to walk back his comments and play by some new corporate rules week to week and he's opted not to.

Again, if he goes off on everybody who doesn't wear a poppy I think he is fine. Why did he have to bring "immigrants" into it? What the fcuk does that have anything to do with the point he is trying to make other than to stoke the political fires already burning on that issue?

I just heard Bob Mackenzie's comments on TSN re Cherry and though he put it well and that is coming from another figure who shares the same spotlight as Cherry but it would seem understands the subtle nuance of what it takes to be on TV in this day and age...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure, landscape has changed and not sure I can stomach it anymore TBH. Something has got to give, just don't start posting "OK boomer" or I will lose it.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like boomer is all worked up about grandpa finally getting put out to pasture.

Was at the ceremony today and somebody should mention to Chery that 90 percent of the the cadets were were immigrants from Asia or India less than a handful were white.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like boomer is all worked up about grandpa finally getting put out to pasture.

Was at the ceremony today and somebody should mention to Chery that 90 percent of the the cadets were were immigrants from Asia or India less than a handful were white.

Why are you referring to racial makeup here? What's that got to do with what Cherry actually said?

SJW alert.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why are you referring to racial makeup here? What's that got to do with what Cherry actually said?

SJW alert.
Because most people feel his point was that in smaller "mostly white" towns with less "immigrants" people still wear poppies. But in larger immigrant rich cities too many of "these people" come to Canada and take all the "benefits" and do not care about the sacrifices made to earn those benefits because they are not "true Canadians".

Did you want to clarify your position on what you heard from Cherry?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is what I heard:

"You know, I was talking to a veteran who said
'I'm not going to run the poppy thing anymore no sense anymore, I live in mississauga, no one wears- very few people wear. Downtown toronto, forget it. Downtown Toronto Nobody wears a poppy',
So I say 'Wait a minute, why not run it for the people that buy them?"
Now you go to the small cities and you know the rows on rows
And you know; you people love, you know the people who come here from wherever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that.
These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. That these guys paid the biggest price.
Anyway I'm going to run it again for you great people. For you great canadians who still bought a poppy."

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Curious on your interpretation:

1) Who is Cherry referring to when he says "YOU PEOPLE" who come from wherever it is.

2) Who is Cherry referring to when he says "you love OUR way of life and OUR milk and honey

The issue is not about wearing poppies. If he said EVERYONE in Canada should wear poppies - there would be no backlash.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0