Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Group A

Who will win this group?

• France

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • Senegal

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Uruguay

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Denmark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teams

France
Senegal
Uruguay
Denmark

Games
Code:
Date Venue Time Teams 
31 May Seoul 20:30 France : Senegal  
01 Jun Ulsan 18:00 Uruguay : Denmark  
06 Jun Busan 20:30 France : Uruguay  
06 Jun Daegu 15:30 Denmark : Senegal  
11 Jun Incheon 15:30 Denmark : France  
11 Jun Suwon 15:30 Senegal : Uruguay

Head-to-Heads in World Cup finals (since 1930)
Code:
15 Jul 66  London  Uruguay vs. France  2:1 (2:1) [World Cup Finals] 
08 Jun 86  Nezahualc-
oyotl  Denmark vs. Uruguay  6:1 (2:1) [World Cup Finals] 
24 Jun 98  Lyon  France vs. Denmark  2:1 (1:1) [World Cup Finals]

Head-to-Heads overall (since 1992)
Code:
17 Jun 92  Malmoe  France vs. Denmark 1:2 (0:1) [Continental Finals] 
09 Nov 96  Copenhagen  Denmark vs. France  1:0 (1:0) [Friendly] 
11 Jun 00  Bruges  France vs. Denmark  3:0 (1:0) [Continental Finals] 
15 Aug 01  Nantes  France vs. Denmark  1:0 (1:0) [Friendly]

TTP Prediction: France

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anelka Out?

France boss Roger Lemerre all but confirmed his World Cup squad on Tuesday when he called up 13 more players for a training camp at Clairefontaine.

While the coach did not admit it the only players left to add to the 21 he has already named are Real Madrid duo Zinedine Zidane and Claude Makelele.

Both are involved in preparations for the Champions League final against Bayer Leverkusen but both are certain to make it to the World Cup.

It means heartache for Nicolas Anelka, on-loan at Liverpool, who also missed out on the 1998 finals.

His place has been taken by Djibril Cisse, whose 22 goals for Auxerre have made him difficult for Lemerre to ignore.

France 98 veteran Christian Karembeu, currently with Olympiakos and injured, has lost his place to Willy Sagnol, while Fulham striker Steve Marlet and Lyon's Eric Carriere are also set to miss out.

Clairefontaine training squad: Fabien Barthez (Man Utd), Alain Boghossian (Parma), Philippe Christanval (Barcelona), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea), Youri Djorkaeff (Bolton Wanderers), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Yohan Micoud (Parma), Emmanuel Petit (Chelsea), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal).

The other eight, called up last month and currently training in Tignes, are: Vincent Candela (Roma), Djibril Cisse (Auxerre), Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Christophe Dugarry (Bordeaux), Franck Leboeuf (Marseille), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Ulrich Rame (Bordeaux), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich).

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Breakout Season at 'Gers Earn Lovenkrands WC Callup

Peter Lovenkrands' breakthrough season at Rangers broke new ground on Monday when he was named in Denmark coach Morten Olsen's World Cup squad.

The 22-year-old former AB Copenhagen striker, who has only three caps to his name, scored twice as Rangers lifted the Scottish Cup with a 3-2 win over arch rivals Celtic on Saturday.

And his dream weekend was completed today after he secured a seat on the plane to Japan and Korea.

Lovenkrands is one of nine British-based players in the 23-man party and is joined by Rangers team-mate Jesper Christiansen who although uncapped, has been chosen as third-choice goalkeeper.

Aberdeen's veteran keeper Peter Kjaer is the SPL's other representative and he

will provide cover for Sunderland goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen. The other English-based players in the squad are Chelsea winger Jesper Gronkjaer, Manchester City defender Niclas Jensen, Everton's Thomas Gravesen, Stig Tofting of Bolton and Charlton midfielder Claus Jensen.

AC Milan defensive duo Thomas Helveg and Martin Laursen will form part of the Danish backline and the Serie A club's newest addition, Jon-Dahl Tomasson, who will join the Italian club after the World Cup from Feyenoord, is also included.

He is likely to partner Schalke striker Ebbe Sand up front with another Serie A star Martin Jorgensen, of Udinese, Brondby's Peter Madsen and Lovenkrands providing the striking cover.

Panathinaikos pair Rene Henriksen and Jan Michaelsen, who helped the Greek giants reach the Champions League quarter-finals, will also make the trip to the Far East.

Squad: Peter Kjaer (Aberdeen), Thomas Sorensen (Sunderland) Jesper Christiansen (Vejle/Rangers); Niclas Jensen (Manchester City), Thomas Helveg, Kasper Bogelund, Martin Laursen, Steven Lustu (Lyn Oslo), Rene Henriksen (Panathinaikos), Jan Heintze; Thomas Gravesen (Everton), Stig Tofting (Bolton), Claus Jensen (Charlton), Brian Steen Nielsen (Malmo), Christian Poulsen, Dennis Rommedahl (PSV), Jan Michaelsen (Panathinaikos), Jesper Gronkjaer (Chelsea); Ebbe Sand (Schalke 04), Peter Lovenkrands (Rangers), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Feyenoord), Martin Jorgensen (Udinese), Peter Madsen (Brondby)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Awe inspiring . . .

After Zidane's goal today, how could you not expect France in the Final Four? Amazing stuff, really.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey guys!

Have you guys entered the TTP/Coveside World Cup pool yet? Well, what's stopping you? Hurry up and enter.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
France - Belgium 1:2
The 69th encounter between France and Belgium proved an entertaining and ultimately surprising occasion. Despite being overrun for most of the second half, the Red Devils hung on and grabbed a winner in injury time. The result will be an enormous boost for Robert Waseige's side, just two weeks before the FIFA World Cup™ party begins in Korea/Japan - and a timely warning against complacency for a French team without playmaker extaordinaire Zinedine Zidane.

The French fans had come en masse to the Stade de France to celebrate the departure of their conquering heroes for the Far East. "Les Blues" were up against an injury plagued Belgian outfit led by ace marksman Marc Wilmots. Roger Lemerre's inclusion of Ulrich Ramé, at the expense of an in-form Fabien Barthez, was perhaps the only surprise in the French starting lineup. With Zidane detained in the maternity wing (his third child was born yesterday), Youri Djorkaeff was handed the task of directing traffic in midfield.

Cheered on by a large Belgian contingent, Waseige's side then found their feet against a French team curiously lacking in ideas. After going close on a few occasions, they eventually broke the deadlock on twenty minutes, when Johan Walem found Glen De Boeck's head from a free-kick. (0-1).

Emmanuel Petit almost struck back for the world champions after 22 minutes, but his fine shot was thwarted by De Vlieger. The Red Devils were now playing with more confidence, however, and on 26 minutes, Bart Goor picked his way through and set up Mbo Mpenza, brother of Emile who has been ruled out of the FIFA World Cup™. Mpenza's control let him down, though, and the chance was gone. Then, on 32 minutes, Nico Kerckhoven passed up on another gilt-edged opportunity to put his side two up.

France responded with more attacking purpose, and were rewarded for their efforts with a scrappy goal shortly before the break. Emmanuel Petit's corner was headed out to Djorkaeff on the edge of the box, whose shot deflected off Trezeguet to Wiltord. The Arsenal hitman pulled the ball back from the by-line into a forest of legs inside the six-yard box, and it finally ricoched into the net off Leboeuf (1-1, 40'). The Bleus then laid siege to the Belgian goal until half-time, and Bixente Lizarazu came close to putting France in front, breaking free down the left before curling a shot just past the far post (45').

Belgium's talisman, who scored one goal per game in the qualifying campaign, troubled Ramé on two occasions. First, a fiercely struck free kick had his former Bordeaux colleague scurrying, then the French keeper had to be on his toes to keep out another clever attempt (72'). The Belgian captain was to have the last laugh though.

Just as the game was petering out, a beautiful four-man move was rounded-off by a superb Wilmots volley (1-2, 92'). France were dead and buried.
France are still one of my favourites to win it all. They'll be pressed for first in the group by either the Danes or Uruguay. It's actually holding up my WC pool picks. Where's my coin.......?

School was in for the stink'n Crotes in 98'.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
News Clipings

Denmark qualified for the FIFA World Cup™ finals for the third time when they thrashed Iceland 6-0 in their final 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan qualifier in October. The Danes impressed throughout in a closely-fought group, from which they emerged unbeaten, having scored more and let in fewer goals than their nearest rivals, the Czech Republic.

The side is peppered with top internationals, most of whom play outside Denmark. The British-based contingent includes Thomas Gravesen of Everton and Sunderland goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen, who has made a significant impression since taking over from the legendary Peter Schmeichel.

Much hope is also placed on Jesper Gronkjaer of Chelsea. The former Ajax man missed the final qualifying game after incurring a serious knee injury, but should be fit in time for the finals. Meanwhile, pulling the strings in the middle of the park are Thomas Helveg of AC Milan and Martin Jorgensen, who also plies his trade in the Italian Serie A at Udinese.

Up front the Danes are very strong. Schalke 04's Ebbe Sand having developed into one of European football's top marksmen, leading the German Bundesliga in 2000-01 with 22 goals. Alongside him, John Dahl Tomasson of Feyenoord weighed in with some vital strikes in the qualifiers.

The current Danish coach, Morten Olsen, came to prominence as a player. He recently signed a long-term contract to continue in charge of the national team and is assisted by another former fan favourite, Michael Laudrup.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MONTEVIDEO, May 23 (AFP) - Uruguay coach Victor Pua said Thursday he would employ an offensive strategy against Group A World Cup finals rivals Denmark in their June 1 clash as he considers it to be the match which decides who finishes second to world champions France.

Pua, who guided Uruguay to the finals via a play-off win over Australia, spoke to the local press by telephone from his Japanese base. While he respected the Danes he believed they lacked the flair to rattle the Uruguayan defence.

"They are a robust and speedy outfit but I believe they lack a certain amount of flair," he said.

Pua is likely to employ a three-man front line with three of his foreign-based players Sebastian Abreu of Mexican side Cruz Azul, Spanish side Malaga's Dario Silva and leading light Alvaro Recoba of Inter Milan the obvious candidates.

The Uruguayans play France on June 6 and debutants and African Nations Cup finalists Senegal on June 11.
With France all but a lock, what's the TTPers consensis for 2nd in Group A? I fancey the Danes to have the best chance. Any others?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zidane out!

(May 27) SEOUL (AP) - France, the defending World Cup champion, was dealt a blow Monday when star player Zinedine Zidane was ruled ineligible for the team's opening match due to injury.

The Real Madrid playmaker said he will miss Friday's game against Senegal because of a left thigh injury, which was confirmed by a scan Monday. He didn't give details of the nature and extent of the injury.

However, Zidane said he was hopeful of playing in France's second match against Uruguay on June 6. The French side's final first-round match is against Denmark on June 11.

"The first match, it's certain that I'll miss it," Zidane said. "It's just a small thing, the scan showed something.

"We have to wait three or four more days. I'm confident, I hope to play France versus Uruguay."

Zidane hurt his left thigh in Sunday's exhibition game against South Korea, which France won 3-2. He left the game at the 39-minute mark and sat on the bench, holding an ice pack on his leg.

Zidane is France's undisputed star, and although Senegal is not considered a particularly dangerous opponent, a prolonged absence by Zidane would spell disaster for the defending tournament champion.

Still the French won the World Cup four years ago when Zidane missed two games in the first round when he was suspended for stomping on a Saudi opponent.

No other French player has Zidane's stature and influence over the game. The son of Algerian immigrants scored twice to lead France to a 3-0 win over Brazil in the 1998 World Cup final.

The French are already missing attacking midfielder Robert Pires, sidelined in March for six months with a torn knee ligament.

France has since struggled to maintain its form. The French lost 2-1 to Belgium and tied Russia 0-0 prior to their win Sunday. And even then, the defending World Cup champion trailed South Korea 2-1 at halftime.

Earlier Monday, coach Roger Lemerre said Zidane was staying with the team, at least until the extent of the injury was known.

"For the time being he is only briefly absent," Lemerre said. "He is with us and we are hoping to get him back in the team as soon as possible.

"(Zidane) is an exceptional player. When he's in the team he improves it."

Zidane missed France's 2-1 defeat to Belgium at the Stade de France nine days ago. He was with his wife Veronique for the birth of their third son, Theo, and only joined the French team in Japan last Wednesday.
Won't hurt France much I don't think. Anyone have any thoughts?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On second thoughts.(Don't read if you're taping France vs Senegal!)

(May 31) tsn.ca - In its first ever World Cup match, Senegal shocked France 1-0 in the opening game of the 2002 World Cup in Seoul, Korea.

Pape Bouba Diop, who plays for Lens in France, scored the goal for Senegal in the 30th minute. He slid on the ground to convert a rebound, giving Senegal an unlikely 1-0 lead on the defending champions.

Goaltender Tony Sylva was golden for Senegal, making several big saves to keep the French at bay.

Sylva was helped by his woodwork, which stopped two shots on his behalf. David Trezeguet ripped one shot off the post in the first half, while Thierry Henry nailed the crossbar in the second half.

France sent 18-year-old scoring sensation Djibril Cisse into the fray with 10 minutes remaining, but he could not deliver a spark in his limited time.
I guess they do miss Zidane. Who would've thunk it?

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vive Le Senegal!!!!

I think this will do two things. It will wake the French up, but it may also be too late. Before the tournament started you would have looked at this as a guaranteed 3 pts. Now, France will arguably need 4 pts out of 6 in the next 2 games to go through, against teams that have a much higher pedigree than Senegal (no disrespect intended to the boys from Senegal) I still think they will squeek through, but it will be difficult particularly if Zidane is not fit for their second game!!!

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
frustrating

Was it just me or was the camera-work shocking for this game?

First of all, is that camera mounted on the blimp a mile away from the field? The camera guy almost had both nets in the picture at the same time.

Secondly, it seemed like whenever the ball was controlled for longer than 1 second there would be a close-up on the player with the ball - leaving the viewer with no clue about the rest of the field of play. :(

I hope things get better before the next game.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PLEASE

Could that wanna-be World Class Player Petit get a frigin Hair Cut ????:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, anyone else lose money in this game?
:mad: Misery Loves Company.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many pools could this possibly affect?

Thanks for the updates on the game guys. Of all the times for this to happen, my TV went to pasture on me last night :rolleyes:

~TB.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs

I forgot to mention that too...
I watched the first half on cable, and then when I returned for the second...i got a snow fall! My cable was gone!!!!
Thank goodness for satellite!

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not a great first match

I found the game rather boring.
It lacked any real imagation on the ball
France didn't look very sharp.

Congrats to Senegal. It's always good to see an over confident team get a reality check. Although, I beleive this will wake up France, who should advance to the next round.

On another note, What shite colour commentating by Bobby L.
I'm really getting tired of this guy. How many time do you have to be asked to explain what off-side is?

Anyways, looking forward to tonight's match.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Joko

Good Game, Great Result. Now just wait to see what happens with the other pair in the group.
A tie by Uru-Den gives france still a chance with 2 wins over those 2 clubs. Ahh shite to complicated just wait till next game!
:confused:

Congrats to Senegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0