Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Group D

Who will win this group?

• Korea Republic

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Excited States

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teams

Korea Republic
Poland
USA
Portugal

Games
Code:
Date Venue Time Teams
04 Jun Busan 20:30 Korea Republic : Poland  
05 Jun Suwon 18:00 USA : Portugal  
10 Jun Daegu 15:30 Korea Republic : USA  
10 Jun Jeonju 20:30 Portugal : Poland  
14 Jun Incheon 20:30 Portugal : Korea Republic  
14 Jun Daejeon 20:30 Poland : USA

Head-to-Heads in World Cup finals (since 1930)
Code:
07 Jun 86  Monterrey  Poland vs. Portugal  1:0 (0:0) [World Cup Finals]

Head-to-Heads overall (since 1992)
Code:
03 Jun 92  Chicago  USA vs. Portugal  1:0 (1:0) [Friendly] 
05 Mar 94  Los Angeles  USA vs. Korea Republic  1:0 (0:0) [Friendly] 
12 Mar 94  Fullerton  USA vs. Korea Republic  1:1 (0:1) [Friendly]

TTP Prediction: Portugal

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can Dudek be the difference?
Liverpool keeper looking to lead Poland into WC 2002

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson believes Jerzy Dudek has proven himself a rare species of goalkeeper with all the attributes to prove the hit of Poland's World Cup campaign.

Dudek has stood out as a figure of composure since his arrival at Liverpool, and the Anfield club's rise up the Premiership table owes a deal to his unerring consistency.

Plunged in for a debut against Aston Villa, Dudek was shell-shocked as Liverpool lost 3-1.

But he has been a rock since, keeping Chris Kirkland and Holland's Sander Westerveld sidelined. He is now one of the few names inked into the Reds first team.

And Lawrenson, these days a media pundit, compares the Pole favourably to any Liverpool goalkeeper of his day.

According to Lawrenson, who played with Bruce Grobbelaar and Ray Clemence, Dudek is a defender's dream.

"He's not like anyone I ever played in front of," Lawrenson said.

"For the modern-day goalkeeper he's very phlegmatic and I think he inspires people in front of him.

"He's been very good for Liverpool. His first game was at home to Villa when they lost and since then he's not looked back. He's been absolutely first class."

Liverpool's goalkeeping has arguably been their weakness since the days of Zimbabwean Grobbelaar in his prime.

The likes of England goalkeeper David James and United States stopper Brad Friedel did at times look up to the job but consistency let both down.

"I think Dudek's the best they've had for a long time," said Lawrenson, who won five league titles and two European Cups in seven seasons at Anfield from 1981-88.

"You look at David James and he's done well, but this fella's better as he's very consistent."

With Poland set for first-round matches against Portugal, South Korea and the United States, Lawrenson is sure Dudek can take his club form onto the biggest stage of all.

He added: "I like his style. He doesn't scream and shout, and he's so calm that defenders can't help feeling comfortable in front of him.

"He should do well for Poland. As well as a great shot stopper, he handles crosses well and doesn't have an obvious flaw to his game."

By rights, Dudek should be shattered come next May. It has been a remarkable year for the 28-year-old, who did not belong to a top-flight Polish club until after his 22nd birthday.

Sokol Tychy provided him with a break and after just 15 games he was lured to Feyenoord.

At the Dutch club he was an Eredivisie ever-present for four successive years, and his international bow came in 1998 against Israel.

A year passed before his bow for the Rotterdammers, as Ed de Goey held on to the number one jersey before leaving for Chelsea.

When coaching Feyenoord, Leo Beenhakker described Dudek as "the best goalkeeper I've seen in 30 years".

Arsenal rated him so highly they were on the verge of shelling out £8.5million to take him to Highbury before plumping for England's Richard Wright.

And Liverpool coach Gerard Houllier, recovering after his heart scare and subsequent by-pass operation, must reckon himself to have struck a great deal when he gave £4.85million to Feyenoord for the Rybnik-born miner's son.

That move came on the deadline for Champions League registration, when Liverpool also swooped for Coventry's Kirkland.

He has hardly been out of the limelight since, with the Reds stepping up their quest for honours in the Premiership and Champions League.

And while Poland should not win the World Cup, their last line of defence will prove as tough as any to crack.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nuno Gomes - From Relegation to WC Glory?

Nuno Gomes was relegated to Serie B with Fiorentina after a tortuous season, but there remains little question of his top-drawer quality.

The Portugal striker battled to keep cash-strapped Fiorentina afloat in Serie A against the odds, and his departure now looks inevitable.

The World Cup now offers the livewire frontman an ideal platform to impress potential suitors.

He benefited from Euro 2000 with his subsequent £12.5million switch from Benfica to the Italians, and Liverpool coach Gerard Houllier is among his admirers.

When arriving at Fiorentina, Gomes was seen as a ready-made replacement for recently-departed Gabriel Batistuta, and there was money made available to Fatih Terim to extend and improve the squad.

Now that has situation has soured, he sees his career away from Florence and recently said he believed the club could sell him at any time.

"I arrived at a difficult moment, but I am here and cannot change my situation," he said.

"Now I am happy however, happy about my choice. I do not know what will happen in the future, but now I am in Florence and I want to help my team."

Gomes began his professional career with Boavista in 1994.

He was born into a soccer-mad family and said: "I think that throughout my life there has always been a football close to me."

Gomes' younger brother is also a striker for home-town club Amarante.

A nimble marksman, Gomes is in the fortunate position of being in the same side as midfield geniuses Luis Figo and his former Fiorentina team-mate Rui Costa.

Until recently, there was a lack of punch about the Portugal frontline, with pint-sized Joao Pinto the regular line-leader.

Now, with Nuno Gomes and Bordeaux's Pauleta such dominating figures in attack, there is a real sense of anticipation ahead of the finals.

"I would like to be the star of the national team," said Gomes.

"Going to the World Cup is like a distant dream which can only be realised by a few."

Gomes took 15 games to open his international scoring account - but the wait was worth it as he stole in to lash home the winner in Portugal's 3-2 win over England in Euro 2000.

After consulting with Rui Costa, now of AC Milan but then a proud violet, he chose Florence as his destination, saying: "I would like to be part of the history of this club like Batistuta and Rui Costa."

The goals dried up for Gomes and his team-mates this season though, and a third-round UEFA Cup exit to French club Lille hit the club financially.

Gomes added: "Without offending my club-mates, perhaps the Portuguese players are stronger and therefore it is easier for me to score."

As welcome as bumper pay cheques undoubtedly are, there comes a time when a footballer wants silverware and as he approaches his second major finals, Gomes is hankering for success.

"Now I am dreaming of winning the World Cup," said Gomes. "It is an exaggerated ideal, but that is what dreams are for."

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Tournament dark horses?

Portugal squad can be best ever - Eusebio

LISBON (Reuters) - Portugal's squad have the ability to achieve the country's best ever performance at a World Cup, legendary striker Eusebio said.

Portugal's best World Cup was in 1966 when they reached the semifinals and Eusebio bagged nine goals to become the tournament's top scorer.

"The squad picked by Antonio Oliveira is strong and guarantees success," Eusebio told sports daily A Bola. "I am quite convinced this team will play well and surpass our achievements in 1966."

Coach Oliveira blended youth with experience in his squad, announced on Monday, which includes midfielder Luis Figo, FIFA's player of the year for 2001.

The "black panther", as Eusebio is known in Portugal, warned against complacency in the group stage which begins against the United States in Suwon, South Korea, on June 5.

"It is worth remembering that our group is not as easy as it seems at first sight," Eusebio said. "I saw the United States play against Uruguay and I was impressed with the players' physical fitness.

"Even so, Portugal can go far in this World Cup, and I believe in this group of athletes."

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
bad news for Yanks

American Armas sees his Cup slip away

Every team worth its salt needs a playmaker - a creator - to pepper telepathic passes with consistent brilliance all over the pitch. A squad - especially one about to climb up on the world's biggest stage - the FIFA World Cup™ - is nothing without a bundle of creative energy who sees spaces and angles others simply can't.

And by a similar process of logic, every side that dreams of greatness requires a rugged, tough-tackling, take-no-prisoners ball winner - a destructive force in the middle of the park whose sole purpose is to disrupt the rhythm, flow and creativity of the opposition.

The United States - an upstart side not known for stunning creative contributions at the international level - lost the services of their crucial midfield destroyer supreme in a freak incident in an over-tough friendly with fellow World Cup attendees Uruguay at RFK Stadium in Washington DC on Sunday evening - just days before setting sail for the Orient.

Doing his all to shut down the quick-footed Uruguayan creators, Chris Armas - born in Puerto Rico and a true prodigy of the US' nascent Major League Soccer - midway through a fast-paced first half put a foot wrong. There was no contact, no crash of limbs, just a twist and a heart-breaking snap, as the stocky midfielder crumpled in a heap.

"It was a very odd play; a movement that I have made a thousand times. I had just planted on my right foot and I felt the knee go," remarked a gutted Armas after the US' 2-1 victory.

After nearly ten minutes of hobbling on, it was clear something serious was amiss. A scan later confirmed US boss Bruce Arena's worst fears - a torn ACL - and a World Cup minus his side's passionate, battling soul.

Just weeks ago Arena had pointed to the Chicago Fire midfielder as one of the key elements to American success, claming "He (Armas) is the kind of player who is everywhere you want him to be."

With the loss of Armas - a starter of 14 of 16 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan™ qualifying matches, and undoubtedly the dogged, rugged, determined ball winner in the middle of the park, hopes of US graduation from a difficult Group D, along with Portugal, Poland and South Korea will now prove even more unlikely.

"Chris has been an outstanding performer with our team and a fine professional," said Arena. "He will certainly serve as an inspiration to his team mates this summer."

Armas will surely be missed in this summer's US squad. An inspiration in the stands he may prove, though that is surely not where Arena would have hoped his workhorse would be doing his inspiring.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey guys!

Have you guys entered the TTP/Coveside World Cup pool yet? Well, what's stopping you? Hurry up and enter.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
- A fortunate Roy Makaay goal in the dying moments of the first half, and a late strike from Andy van der Meyde saw a confident Dutch side master the Cup-bound US in the Americans' final pre-tournament friendly on Sunday.
The opening ten minutes were a swirl of bright orange as the Dutch looked keen to remind the football world of what it would be missing come June.

Almost at once captain Frank de Boer's long ball up the middle found Roy Makaay surging toward Brad Friedel's goal. As the two collided, the ball wriggled loose, but no orange jerseys were on hand to finish the job.

The Dutch turned the screws on the sluggish Americans twice more in the opening quarter hour, as Makaay was unlucky not to find a first goal.

The US finally got themselves into the match as Sunderland's "Captain America" - Claudio Reyna - pressed forward in the 15th minute sending a pinpoint through ball for Brian McBride streaking down the left. The blond-haired striker's near-post rocket was only just kept out by the diving Ronald Waterreus.

The resulting corner again had Waterreus scrambling as Reyna's blast forced the Dutchman into flight.

An absolute stunner of a 20-yard shot from US defender Eddie Pope in the 30th minute looked to have put the US a goal to the good, but again the Dutch 'keeper was up to the sprawling task.

After nearly a full 45 minutes of end-to-end football, it was the Dutch that managed to grab the vital goal. A mistimed Eddie Pope tackle failed to clear the danger posed by Roy Makaay breaking toward goal. In the scuffle, the Dutch striker reclaimed the loose ball and steered it simply and coolly into a yawning American net for a 1-0 advantage at the half (1-0 '45).

Three minutes into the second half Andy van der Meyde nearly doubled the Dutch lead after rounding his man in the box. Halftime substitute 'keeper Kasey Keller lunged like a lynx to deny the point-blank strike.

Just as the US looked like threatening to draw level, through dangerous substitutes Landon Donovan and Cobi Jones, a troublesome bit of defending from defender David Regis in the 75th minute allowed Andy van der Meyde clean through to slip his shot into an open net for a 2-0 Dutch lead (2-0 '75).

And there it stayed to the end, leaving US boss Bruce Arena with some thinking to do on the long flight to Seoul.
I caught this game via satellite. The Dutch subs looked like World cup contenders. In a perfect world the great squads should just be invited to play. :rolleyes:

The States are fcuked. It will be Poland & Portugal one, two. :eek:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now I know why they aren't in the WC

I caught this game via satellite.
I caught this in Calgary on ABC -- wasn't it available in Vancouver? Nevermind that, though... that was some of the crappiest play I've seen since the Rangers lost to Bingers on Thursday. Jaap is slipping since leaving Man U -- I couldn't keep track of how many balls he coughed up inside his own 1/3rd. The U.S. ... well, they showed why "soccer" is such a minor sport in North America.

I want my 90 minutes back.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's with zeee Germans......

wasn't it available in Vancouver?
I don't know I wasn't there. Japp has never been good. Why are your surprised he coughed up so many balls? Being in his own third is moot The States are just ugly and it's a crime to the Soccer world the Dutch are not involved.

Stupid orange bastards.....

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Frankly, the way the Dutch were playing yesterday confirmed -- rather, justified -- their absence this time 'round. Meanwhile, I don't know who this Japp person is, but I thought Jaap Stam used to be quite good when he had Peter Schmeichel yelling at him on a weekly basis.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fastshow's worst nightmare- YANKS UPSET PORTUGAL!!!

Fastshow, just curious…what did you think of the big upset today?:D

As if I really care, but did anyone actually watch this game? How did the Yanks look? I caught a bit of the USA / Holland friendly a week or two ago, and the US looked really bad- could not sustain any pressure up front, or possession in the midfield, and the defenders looked old and slow. They kept getting beat, clean. How bad is Jeff Augoos (Is that his name? Left back.)?

I think the Yanks should have called up “young” Kenny Cormac to play:eek: . But then, what do I know about international footy (who’s this George Best I keep hearing about?).:confused:

Happy to not be waking up ever at 4:00 AM,:p

Dude.

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I stayed up and watched the game

Portugal's defence was horrible, the back 4 as well as the keeper.

Quick strike 4 minutes in off a corner which the keeper made the initial save, 2 goal was off a cross that deflected off a defender's head into the net (own goal) and the third was a defensive let down leading to a nice diving header. Before you know it, 3-0 USA over Portugal.

Before the half, Portugal got one back off a corner kick, then with 20 minutes left in the game, USA got an own goal themselves, and from there I was waiting for the nice goal (Just like USA), but Portugal couldn't generate anything (too tired?). Not many shots by the Portuguese at all, and I hate to say this, but if they don't create more quality chances, it will be an early exit for them.

They are pretty much in the same prediciment as France right about now.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Americans amaze me.

I flipped to KIRO News to see what they would have to say about the game. Shockingly, they only showed two goals (the U.S.'s 1st and 3rd) -- no more. They followed that up with a 5-second clip of O'Brian and a 10-second clip of some fans in a Virgina bar.

You'd figure they would've made a bigger deal.

:confused:

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That Beasly(sp) kid was on fire for the US. He tore the Pork Chops apart down the wing and created havoc for them through out the game. He still a teenager (I think?).

Look for him to be signed by a big European club after the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0