Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Herdman Leaving?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I call BS. Sounds like strategy to get more money here.

With almost a guarantedd spot in 2024 COPA and auto berth 2026 WC being hosted in your back yard, this would be a stupid decision.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Music Video GIF

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Doubt it makes sense to leave for NZ coaching and I doubt they'd pay big bucks for any coach.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That sounds bad for the national team as finally they were back in the World Cup.
I hear Herdman wasn't the best tactician but like Tony Waiters back in the day these guys knew how to get the best out of their teams and actually gain a berth the World Cup.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I won't shed any tears... "we shocked the world!" after going out with a whimper... his rah rah act has worn more than a bit thin for me...

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Herdman leaves that will be great for CMNT. He was completely exposed at WC as somebody who is nowhere near at the level where the other top Managers are.

Players need a perfect plan to execute on the field and if the Manager is not capable of doing that then you can have the best 11 soccer players in the World on the field playing for you and you will still not succeed.

Canada never had more talented team than this one. That talent alone was enough at CONCACAF level to qualify for WC despite having Herdman as the Manager.

Unfortunately, in Qatar, at the biggest stage where every single detail counts, we could see that Herdman is not good Manager at all.
All he managed in Qatar was to provoke Croats with his stupid comment and then Croats showed him what a motivation really is combined with great strategy by their Manager Dalic.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with the comments that Herdman did a poor job in the World Cup and decision-making was poor including that PK by Davies that should not have been his to take when a proven PK scorer at the club level was in the line up.
My comment was more around the marketing of the team which he did effectively BUT then again unlike hockey there's not really going to be big bucks for a GM.

Makes you wonder what Toronto FC would see in him if astute soccer minds look at the WC game versus just the getting there.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Herdman did a better job than I thought he was going to do. Definitely needs more experience when it comes to the men's game. But he is a young coach and will get better.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Herdman did a better job than I thought he was going to do. Definitely needs more experience when it comes to the men's game. But he is a young coach and will get better.
A national team coach should be a coach that already has experience elsewhere. What other men's team did Herdman coach?
Why would CMNT risk basically wasting this very talented generation on a guy who needs to learn and gain experience? Sorry, not at this level and not with CMNT.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Herdman was the first coach in a long time who was able to successfully recruit all of our best talent into the squad at the same time and get them to collectively buy-in.
And telling the prima donnas to fcuk off.
I give him a lot of credit for that as the number 1 thing for all national team coaches is getting those top players to trust in the manager and him being honest with them.
He must have done that to a certain degree to be able to do what he did.

Stevie Clarke has done the same with Scotland.

Just getting a 'generational talent' to step on the pitch, or sit on the bench, on a consistent basis is a huge part of it.

It's about creating a unified front, collective focus, competitive atmosphere and getting them well prepared.
That is 80% of the battle in my opinion and I think he's done a decent job of that.
Its kind of up to players after that really.

Tactics, Ok, maybe he's lost the plot at times I'll admit but some may look at that as being bold and brave and not afraid to try new things and/or go balls in.

And, whether he's lost the room or not I don't know but if he can manage that group I'm sure he could manage an MLS team.

And, we're all in it for the money - Sorry, full stop.
Can't blame him for that IMHO.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
that's all fine and I can get behind that... but chirping at Croatia and doing the "we came we saw we conquered" thing after a three and out? sorry, I had enough of that with Carl "it's a good point it's an important point" Robinson...

Rah rah works for a while, you overachieve, and then its effectiveness wanes, you're exposed for being nothing special from a tactical / technical perspective, and you pack up your guns and move on. Won't be the first and won't be the last riding that carousel to riches... I don't begrudge him that at all, just don't think it's a massive loss if he goes...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0