Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier Hip Hip Hooray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m all for Fair Play but not a big fan of the “3 cheers”. I’d much rather shake hands on the park right after the whistle like they do everywhere else in the world. Can we make this happen, any thoughts?

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed. shake hands with the players youve worked hard against all game and a few others and call it at that. No need for 'hip hip hooray" what the hell does that even mean?? We should all just yell "Canada is 75th in the world" 3 times and then proceed to shake hands.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, it's kind of weird because we do it after every game. Maybe it's because it's been ingrained throughout our whole childhood of doing it.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah I agree from now on instead of saying happy birthday on your birthday we should say fukc off.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can we trade three cheers at the end for some orange slices at half time, I miss all the fun times of reaching dirty hands into an orange bad and then sticking the whole piece into my mouth, now thats a top 10 world ranking.

Three Cheers for Shaking hands with a cold one after the game.

hos

Hall3

Sep 11, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The older fellows don't do it anymore. I guess it stops once we start playing in the masters division. After U21 it should probably stop. We could stop the cheering and just go straight to the line up and shake hands.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We still do it and I'm pretty sure every team we've played has done it as far as I can remember (VMSL Masters).

Personally I'm of the opinion that it should continue as it is a show of respect for the other team as well as the sport... if you stop doing it, then people will say eventually why even shake hands, we can talk afterwards with a pint...

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eveyone in the Over 50's and over 55's still does it. Its not a big deal, just do it and head for the cooler

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and if we continue on Reg's line of thought long enough eventually we will not even play the games and the Tables can just be decided based on Sir M's Excellent Power Rankings :D

at least that way we would have more time for pints right ?

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
We play too many teams who arent old enough to drink with us. I think it's a good tradition, speaks to sportsmanship.

A team that drinks together wins together.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've always found it an awkward thing as we all put our hands in and look at each other for this after game cheer. I also find that the same guy starts this cheer every time? How does this guy feel about this position...I guess you can call him the Cheer Leader? How about the unwritten rule of the keeper goes first in the hand shake?

Another weird soccer event is when a player is hurt and the possesion team boots the ball off the field to get medical aid. Then the opposing team throws the ball back in to the team that kicked it out and everyone claps as a friendly gesture? Let's stop the clap shall we as those that don't fully understand the game think we're applauding his crappy throw in!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
haha...girth the last one is dying a slow death, especially at pro level...

Untill the rampant plague that is diving is eradicated from football I don't like to see players kicking the ball into touch so someone can get his wind back, a touch of magic spray and he is good to run his arse off again for anothe 45 minutes...just so that the team attacking up the field into his teams final third has to kick it out, so that the defending team can boot the ball all the way back to the initially attacking keeper...nothing makes me more furious!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We still do it and I'm pretty sure every team we've played has done it as far as I can remember (VMSL Masters).

Personally I'm of the opinion that it should continue as it is a show of respect for the other team as well as the sport... if you stop doing it, then people will say eventually why even shake hands, we can talk afterwards with a pint...

I agree, if you don't then you just end up doing something as cheesy as clapping for the team from the other side of the field and giving a way to them. Kinda lame if you ask me.

Wait, is this the AMSL thread?

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This isn't the first time this has come up. Personally, I don't like chanting hip-hip-hooray three times with my hands in the middle of a pack. Some teams can get away with it. Some teams cannot. My team is laden with balding, graying old men with weathered skin. Their hands are consumed with liver spots. Do I need to witness this debacle after every game? Some guys look rather effeminate when chanting. Then the dilemma of where you stand in the line-up to greet the other team? I believe it is decided by a self-perceived
notion of where you rank quality-of-play wise for the day. Does the best player stand in the front of the line or the end? It can cause a rift within the team. What about the perception of how your opponent has wacked your hand? Did he mean something more by that extra force upon contact? How about when you hear "good game" directed towards you and the teammate behind you gets "great game"?

Get rid of the whole hip-hip-hooray thing and replace it with a simple private handshake, selectively picking who you want to greet.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm surprised you remember what happens after a match, it's been so long since you made it to the end of one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0