Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Huge Boyd Artificial Turf Largest In Canada

wayne's world

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hugh Boyd field will be huge At 24,000 square metres, artificial turf will be Canada’s largest

Richmond’s Hugh Boyd park will become home to Canada’s largest artificial turf field when it’s completed later this year, big enough to simultaneously accommodate two soccer matches and a football game.

The park is in the midst of the transformation, with the large natural grass soccer pitch at the park’s northern perimeter on Francis Road scalped to make way for the 24,000-square-metre project that will cost the city almost $1.4 million.

The new facility will feature the latest version of FieldTurf, a synthetic surface produced by Montreal-based FieldTurf. Company marketing manager Darren Gill says Hugh Boyd’s field will boast an improved version of the plastic surface used at Richmond’s first outdoor artificial turf field at Minoru Park.

Like the new field in front of Richmond High, Hugh Boyd’s year-round playing surface will sport monofilament fibres, which look more like grass and perform more like grass.

Instead of the flat-blade plastic fibres in the older version, the new monofilament are more spaghetti-like and are less abrasive.

Gill said he’s certain this will be Canada’s largest continuous artificial surface, and it may in fact be the largest in North America.

Gill says when you look at all of the costs associated with a field, including maintenance and installation, FieldTurf is only about one-third the price of a grass field from a cost-per-use perspective.

The field will be usable year-round, including during the wet and cold fall and winter months when most natural grass fields become soaked and are seriously damaged by play.

The new field will last about a decade and comes with an eight-year warranty, Gill says.

Not only are the monofilament fibres more grass-like, but this type of field provides better cushioning and is easier on the body than other forms of artificial grass.

The FieldTurf comprises three layers, with sand at the bottom, which is covered by a mixture of sand and rubber, and then coated with tiny rubber shavings.

Project engineer Marcus Liu said the new field should be opening in October, depending on if there’s enough consecutive warm days to allow the gluing of the field onto the concrete base. That is scheduled to be done toward the end of August.

The massive field will be surrounded by a four-foot chain-link fence, save for the areas behind the nets, which will reach 16 feet high.

Liu explained that concrete curbing is currently being install and then a drainage system will be put in place to keep the surface dry throughout the year. That should make it usable 365 days per year.

Plans for the park include the installation of a spectator viewing area and bleachers.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The pitch on Francis was such a great field. Shame that the lower mainland is well on it's way to phasing out all natural grass surfaces :(

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfortuantely, with land prices, maintenance costs being what they are, any argument against FieldTurf would have to be pretty compelling to beat the cost/per use disparity.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bonefish said:
...any argument against FieldTurf would have to be pretty compelling to beat the cost/per use disparity.
Oooooooooooh. I love it when you write sexy like that. :D

~Wilde.

wayne's world

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
maybe few rainouts, playing the ball on the carpet instead of humping the ball will help improve soccer in Canada. then again, it might just lead to more rug burns and out of work grass cutters and fewer trips to the laundramat.

and after the olympics, the richmond speed skating oval is suppose to turn some of it into indoor turf fields also. that's a lot of fields just in Richmond alone. Vancouver city of course can't respond with these capital improvements.

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
In Montreal, I played a solid four years on FieldTurf and enjoyed some great footie on that surface. Their claim though that it's less abrasive is extremely questionable.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find now that I enjoy playing on the field turf over most grass surfaces. Granted, I haven't been forced to spend a season on Burnaby Lake, Livingston or Port Moody Rec. Those surfaces are punishing.

Rarely do we get a nice, cut, plush natural surface anymore. Either the grass is too long, or the ground is too hard. If every pitch were maintained like Swangard, that'd be different. Some facilities do, but most don't. Cloverdale Athletic...great natural pitches. Newton did too a few years back (North side), don't know how it is now.

The turf at Langley Municipal Athletic has actually kept me playing long after I would have otherwise hung them up, due to being able to train on the it and not gravel. It feels soft to run on, and the bounce is always true. No sprinkler heads to worry about bottling your shot, either, like what happened to me on Tuesday in Abby.:rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For those who don't know... where Dude plays his footy the sprinklers are strategically placed 60 yards above and to the left of the nets. Clever buggers.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks KNVB. I'll take that as a complement. Most would say they are strategically placed at about dead centre, 15 yards out. They seem to be most problematic in training, shooting drills.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0