Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm getting old

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay so here's the deal. I'm an aging keeper and playing in a league full of kids. I get hurt pretty much every third game now and get in $#!T from the wife on a regular basis because it affects the family.
Our team is 80% ready for over 35's but that's not really the issue as I'd get hurt their too.

At what point should I listen and say enough is enough? Do I have to look like Regs to finally get it???

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, just feel like Regs.

When you start playing against your own kids, it's time to pack it in. That's what i think.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought and felt the same way as you girth. I think this is my retirement year as there is no room for me on the O35 team. Most O35 teams already have their keepers. I was thinking of telling my wife I have practice every Wed and game every Friday night and just drink instead.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think some out there are in for a bit of a surprise if they think O35s is any easier on the body.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any guys in wheelchairs make your starting 11 Regs? Does your pension cover the league fees?

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Especially with all the turf fields now. I think this year, at least 1/3 of the teams have turd as their home fields. Nasty on the joints and body.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree Freddy 100%! You dive on that crap game after game and yer done like dinner. I'm not sure if their are any keepers out their that prefer turf over grass?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Probably HOS as it's a bit harder to chip on the turf :D

I have yet to be chipped on turf, love the stuff, but the body does feel older, but come on, none of us train like we should, so we get what we deserve. It is not your age it is your training and how you play. Look at Futbol, just signed with Norvan Premier, and he played for the Mighty Rangers in O-35 for the last 4 years, by the way he is 43. So, all out there that think Masters is a walk in the park, for get about it, but there is less chips on the park, not after, love my bbq,

hos

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
this might be my last year as well (some say I haven't never played) as my knees are ****ed from the turf. and I'm still a few years away form O/35's. not a fan of the turf.

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
35 was my mandatory retirement - never really recovered from a game ending tib/fib fracture - I was having enough trouble chasing 22 years olds around the park without having to take a year and a half off. At the end of the day a 30 year playing career isn't too bad - a lot of guys don't even get that. I do miss the beers and Z's hotdogs though.:(

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm quickly closing in on the big 3-5 and unfortunately am feeling like a cripple as well. I'm not allowed to wimper or moan when at home as this would just seal my fate. She wants to me start coaching and reffing instead. I told her to give up shopping and to see how that feels. That went over really well.

There are indeed benefits to playing on the turf, but the brutal wear and tear that it puts on your joints is just brutal. I'd take a mucky pitch any day.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
From a "over 35" point of view, the Friday night game appears to be popular. 5 or 6 teams have gone this route for the coming year in Masters Premier. My point is that if you plan on playing over 35 get used to playing on turf. Two more fields at Burnaby Lake coming soon...At 41, you just have to get used to it and change your game a little bit plus train a little harder.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just turned 34 and "play" in goal. i prefer to play in ths order of field condition

Wet turf
Wet grass
mud
dry grass
FIFA on the PS3
dry turf.

I find that grass fields these days bother me more than the turf does. i think it has to due to the uneveness in the ground level on most grass fields. Dry turf leaves way too many rug burns and you don't slide as well either which is a lot harder on the body.

moneyman

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Old is just a number. Being out of shape is a reality. Most of us when we were younger had to work for a living eg physical work or you spent 6 days a week playing sports. This was followed by drinking at the bar. Now your days are spent at a nice cushy job, 1-2 hour lunches lots of cocktails at lunch at the bar . And when you get home most of your time is spent with your kids or taking out your 2nd or 3rd wife for dinners and vacations. When you were in your early 20's it was all about the game. Now your time is shared and the constant nagging when you try and get out of bed on Monday mornings after playing on the weekend you're in pain trying to put on your socks. Is it worth it? I would rather die a crippled warrior then live as a little Princess :D With age comes wisdom, and boy are the old guys good for the beer cooler. And if your that out of shape and you can't run you can always become a goalie:D:D:D

$$$MAN

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great talk boys and I love the 2nd or 3rd wife comment from Moneyman! I definately do not train hard (or at all) anymore so yes it is my fault 100% but still love the game and being around all my teamates is what makes me sign every year.

Styles of play between the young guys and us old guys are so different but yet important to make for a decent team.I love watching young teams move up into premier and have a tough time then the next year(if their is one) add several "experienced guys" to captain the ship.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's this "old" stuff anyway? Fcuk, what are you guys going to do when you get to be really old - like colemanj?:D

Girth: the yardstick I used was my last year in open ball when I was playing with guys who for the most part were 18-21. Fitness wasn't an issue; the team culture was. It really gets tough when you and your 18 year old team mate look at the same 17 year old and your first though is "babysitter" and his is "hawt" (Yes, my wife has been looking over my shoulder).:rolleyes:

Over 35 doesn't mean the end of a career. It means (hopefully) smarter soccer, better (and more) beer in the cooler, and a decent excuse to get some much-needed exercise when you get stuck at the stage of life where you start driving a desk. The game does not become any less physical either; tackles are just as hard, although I like to think that they tend to be cleaner because you just know better. I find that the only time I really have to worry about the chippy shite is when I go back to playing open ball in the summer, when the kids just have too much testosterone, and also have the delusion that their 160 lb bodies can defy the laws of physics and go through my 215 lb one.:rolleyes:

Keep going as long as you can. You'll hate yourself if you quit playing.

Trece

badknees7

Sep 15, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Old is just a number. Being out of shape is a reality. Most of us when we were younger had to work for a living eg physical work or you spent 6 days a week playing sports. This was followed by drinking at the bar. Now your days are spent at a nice cushy job, 1-2 hour lunches lots of cocktails at lunch at the bar . And when you get home most of your time is spent with your kids or taking out your 2nd or 3rd wife for dinners and vacations. When you were in your early 20's it was all about the game. Now your time is shared and the constant nagging when you try and get out of bed on Monday mornings after playing on the weekend you're in pain trying to put on your socks. Is it worth it? I would rather die a crippled warrior then live as a little Princess :D With age comes wisdom, and boy are the old guys good for the beer cooler. And if your that out of shape and you can't run you can always become a goalie:D:D:D

You got it Moneyman!! Play til you drop dead!!! What a great game.Can't beat all the laughs(and pints,fireball,Cap't Morgans etc)Worry about the aches and pains in the morning.

43andjustcan'tgiveitup!!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0