Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Immigrant/Ethnic influence on Canadian Soccer

M

Mal

Toronto and surrounding places is a very mixed multicultural place with strong immigrant communities -Italians in Woodbridge, Indocanadians in Brampton, Jamaicans in Jane Finch and also Portugese , Croatian , Serbian , South Americans, Polish etc.
Many of these communities have their own leages, tournaments and soccer schools etc.

These communities take soccer so seriously in Toronto .
It seems to be the same in Vancouver/Surrey with immigrant communities running their own leages and tournaments mostly during the summer.
Alot of top coach,s are immigrants especially the Italians.
The immigrant influence should have a positive effect on the future of Canadian soccer.
What u guys think

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it's likely Mal's first language isn't english... and that maybe he's trying to start a very relevant 'chat' - in a Canadian soccer forum.

Hockey VS Soccer.

Canadian vs New Canadian?

Would you rather Canada win an Olympic Gold medal in hockey in 2014 -- or would you rather Canada qualify for the next World Cup of soccer in 2012?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mal and Toze,

Good observations/questions!

Regarding Gold Medal vs qualifying, I think qualifying would have more of an impact for soccer than winning gold would have for hockey. Except in 2012. I don't think anyone would care as we would be the only country in it. Unless of course you meant we qualify in 2012 for the next World Cup in 2014 :)

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahh right - the 2014 World Cup of soccer. It's hard to count in multiples of fours for me sometimes.

I'd way, way rather qualify for soccer's World Cup than win Olympic gold in hockey -- not that Salt Lake and 2010 weren't sweetly celebrated.

There's an article in the Hockey News saying something like "there's more kids playing cricket in Missassauga than are playing hockey" - I'd imagine the same is true for soccer.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
The immigrant influence should have a positive effect on the future of Canadian soccer.

What u guys think

Depends on the immigrant really. But generally, you would hope so!

Originating from a country that excels in soccer doesn't mean he/she knows more or plays better.

From a commitment level though, even some beer leagues in England (for example) are fairly well organised (with exceptions, obviously) so that could be seen as a positive (especially if the immigrant has played a high standard). I think the depth of hierarchy there helps organise the committed from the 'can't be arsed' crowd though.

The best way to build a better future is to start with the kids, which Canada is doing, immigrants are always going to be a small minority and their effect on soccer will likely be minimal.

M

Mal

I think it's likely Mal's first language isn't english... and that maybe he's trying to start a very relevant 'chat' - in a Canadian soccer forum.

Hockey VS Soccer.

Canadian vs New Canadian?

Would you rather Canada win an Olympic Gold medal in hockey in 2014 -- or would you rather Canada qualify for the next World Cup of soccer in 2012?

Definitely soccer world cup over hockey any day !

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love hockey, but I'd trade one Gold or even two for just qualifying for the WC. Canada will win half of the Olympic Hockey Gold medals going forward for the next 50 years, but we may only qualify for one or two WCs, if we're lucky. I'd gladly trade one or two Golds for one qualifying spot. Absolutely.

M

Mal

Toronto and surrounding places is a very mixed multicultural place with strong immigrant communities -Italians in Woodbridge, Indocanadians in Brampton, Jamaicans in Jane Finch and also Portugese , Croatian , Serbian , South Americans, Polish etc.
Many of these communities have their own leages, tournaments and soccer schools etc.

These communities take soccer so seriously in Toronto .
It seems to be the same in Vancouver/Surrey with immigrant communities running their own leages and tournaments mostly during the summer.
Alot of top coach,s are immigrants especially the Italians.
What u guys think

I read about the Nations Cup which is held in Richmond and i,m looking forward to that tournament. That tournament must give an idea of the level of different immigrant communities. Just hope the games are played in the right spirit as though immigrants have a positive influence on soccer it can sometimes turn ugly as i experienced a few times back east when the Serbs played Croatian teams

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0