Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Laffs vs. Nucks Tampering saga

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of GM's of the past and people who feel they know everything, didn't a well known ttper with nice hair and tonnes of knowledge about everything get upset when Nonnis didn't make the move to get Richards the year we missed the playoffs. How has that deal worked out for Dallas and I wonder if he still feels Nonnis made a mistake or did we do better in the long run keeping the young players we still have. I think Gillis is getting a lot of credit for Nonis's work and Nonis takes a lot of blame dispite being handcuffed with high contracts for players underperforming. Contracts that were left for him by Burke just to make the argument cyclical.

Anyways to get back on topic how are things at cheers these days.

disclaimer I do not proof read and Mr Base was my English teacher and I believe reseach is for people who are to lazy to make things up themselves.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hypocrisy.
hypocrisy [hɪˈpɒkrəsɪ]
n pl -sies
1. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc., contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour, esp the pretence of virtue and piety
2. an act or instance of this

The NHL Sends out this edict to the teams and publishes it on NHL.com
NEW YORK -- Bill Daly, Deputy Commissioner of the National Hockey League, today released the following statement which will serve as the League's only comment regarding its findings relative to purported tampering allegations as between the Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs' organizations:

"I confirm the following:

"That Ron Wilson, Head Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, violated the provisions of NHL By-Law 15 relating to inappropriate public comments by speaking generally to his Club's potential interest in negotiating with Daniel and Henrik Sedin prior to such time as those players' existing contracts with Vancouver had expired. The League has imposed a fine on the Maple Leafs' organization as a result;

"That after a thorough investigation of all the relevant facts and circumstances, the League has found no evidence whatsoever to support Vancouver's broader concerns that the Toronto Maple Leafs' organization may have engaged in any other conduct or activities vis-à-vis the Sedins that were in contravention of the League's rules or policies relating to tampering;

"That while unfortunate and inappropriate, the inclusion of a brief reference to the names of a pair of current Vancouver Canucks players in a television segment that aired once on Leafs TV last week did not constitute a tampering offense under League rules, and that no League action will be taken, or League sanction imposed on the Maple Leafs' organization as a result.

"The Maple Leafs have been advised that the League likely would impose discipline for any future inappropriate conduct on their part that may cause, or may reasonably be perceived to cause, damage to the Canucks' franchise, or its relationship with its existing players and/or employees.

"Both Clubs have been advised of these findings, and both have been instructed to refrain from further public comment of any kind relating to these matters. From the League's perspective, this matter is closed. We will make no further comment."

Ahem... (From today's Vancouver Sun)
"I know there was a lot of yapping going on in Vancouver the last little while, but you noticed none from Toronto," Burke said in a telephone interview Thursday when asked about the apparent bad blood between the two organizations. "I'm certainly not going to pour any gasoline on a fire that as far as I'm concerned doesn't exist. When other organizations talk or complain about the Leafs, I ignore it by and large."

"We weren't copied with any of the correspondence or made aware of it so when all this talking was going on we were mystified, it was like, what are they talking about," Burke said. "If we were going to bring a tampering charge against a team we would copy the team on it, make them aware of it. That wasn't done so we were kind of in the dark on this.

"Other than the fact our coach obviously made some pretty luke-warm comments and was fined for those — and we support the league's decision — all the rest of it was kind of like watching a movie with ghosts in it. We had no idea what people were talking about."

"There's nothing to clear the air about," he said. "The team made unsubstantiated tampering claims, never notified us, the league looked into it and pointedly dismissed them all, except for the comments made by my coach … There's no air to clear. They were unsubstantiated allegations made behind our backs, never to us and as far as I'm concerned it's a non-event."

"If I didn't see Mike, that wouldn't be a snub," Burke said. "In my building, I always go down and talk to the visiting GM, ask him if they need anything. I don't know what Mike does. If I see him, I'll say hi to him, but if I don't see him I wouldn't consider it a snub … I'm not jumping off a bridge if I don't see him and I'm not going to order a cake if I do."
To rob a thought from Blake Price of the TEAM1040 this morning while driving...
So he is saying there is no blood on his hands because the Canucks didn't follow protocol by not hitting the "CC" Button in Outlook while complaining to Bettman, they didn't follow protocol? Kind of like stating comments on the issue only 16 days following the leagues command to not comment on it any further...

What a schmuck.

also from the article:
Gillis, citing a league request that both sides not comment further on the case, declined an interview request on Thursday.

I wonder if Bettman forgot to CC Burkey on the League Memo?, or if Burke is just plain stupid...

Brad Ziemer FTW.

Nucks 4-1 Laffs :wa:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0