Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier League Re-Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but the way I read the proposal showed 2x15 Groups of Div 2 for both 07/08 and 08/09 (and I presume the future).

Also, whataboutcat?

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can anyone confirm the final realignment?

From what I have heard (nothing confirmed, just rumour):

2007/2008
Premier - Kept as-is... 14 teams... side A and B... bottom team from each side gets relegated... playoff between 2nd from bottom from each side to see who is the third to be relegated.
Div 1 - 20 teams... each playing one another ONCE... top team promoted... bottom 2 relegated - WOW!!!
Div 2, etc... no idea.

2008/2009
Premier - 12 teams... single pool... play each team twice... bottom 2 relegated
Div 1 - 20 teams... side A and side B (same as 2006/2007)... top team from each side promoted... bottom team from each side relegated
Div 2. etc... no idea

Can anyone confirm?

sixfyvjustfireduptofinallybringourlowlyfvslteamtovmslpremier

aekara

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Vinnie and evergreen. Good points.
I hope people take notice. This tiered system is the most logical way to go.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can anyone confirm the final realignment?

From what I have heard (nothing confirmed, just rumour):

2007/2008
Premier - Kept as-is... 14 teams... side A and B... bottom team from each side gets relegated... playoff between 2nd from bottom from each side to see who is the third to be relegated.
Div 1 - 20 teams... each playing one another ONCE... top team promoted... bottom 2 relegated - WOW!!!
Div 2, etc... no idea.

2008/2009
Premier - 12 teams... single pool... play each team twice... bottom 2 relegated
Div 1 - 20 teams... side A and side B (same as 2006/2007)... top team from each side promoted... bottom team from each side relegated
Div 2. etc... no idea

I think 3 teams will be relegated from Div 1 to make room for the 2 teams being dropped from Prem.

As for 2 Div1 groups. I'd rather see 1 - 10 team grouping and a 10 team Div 1 - 2nd tier. (aka Div 2, thus Div 2 would be Div 3, and a new Div 4).

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I completely agree with a smaller premier division and by whatever means neccessary to get to it should be done sooner rather than later. However I don't like this massive size Div 1 where you only play each other once. The best games in Div 1 are the rematches late in the year between the two battling for promotion sides.............perhaps still have two different sides with a playoff between the two side winners to get promoted.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
John, that was the proposal from last year that got turned down by the div. 1 sides. The complaint was that it put too much emphasis on the single game playoff at the end of the year, when teams have injuries/suspension/etc. The idea of one big Div. 1 actually seems to be the result of feedback from the teams.

I notice they had a 20 team Div. 1 in the FVSL this year after some divisional restructuring... I guess you'd have to check their threads to see how it worked out.

Either way, it's short term pain, for long term gain...

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's official.....

Ratified last night at the AGM:

Prem - 3 relegated (the 2 last place teams - 1 from each side, and a playoff between the 2 second-to-last teams)

Div 1 - One 20 team grouping, paying each other once. Top team promoted, 4, yes 4, relegated to Div 2

Div 2 - 2 groups consisting of at least 15 teams in each group plus up to 4 additional new teams that want to get into the VMSL this year. Top team promoted on each side, and a new Div 3 forming in 08-09. This will consist of possibly 10 - 14 or so bottom Div 2 teams moving to a new Div 3.

No Div 3 until 08-09

The vote was not even close: Round 90% in favour.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best part was the guy(s) wont' name name's complaining the most didnt' even vote..... I lost it laughing a couple of times, especially when he was trying to justify dropping mroe premier teams..... Just had no clue....

Also part of the AGM Azzi, Foden, and Horvath were up for re-election, all 3 got back in. There was a vote, cuz a 4th person accepted teh nomination, but lost.

Nothing else interesting....

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
He didn't vote? Why was he bitching the whole time if he had no vote.

Division 2 will have a meeting in july sometime to formalize and approve their setup for the upcoming season and a formalization of Div 3.

Premier and Div 1 are set as WAB said.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Progress!

Can't wait for next spring and the premier relegation match takes place.

Was there any talk concerning mandatory Imperial Cup entry for Div 1 teams? In 2 years time, you are going to have 32 teams in premier/Div 1 which is perfect for the Imperial Cup... do away with the Div 1 cup bollox.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the league really showed some great vision:

Prem: Get tickets for that relegation match now. I'll probably have some ;)

Div 1: It was said that you couldnt take any days off - gives a whole new meaning now. Week1 or Week19 all one game showdowns. Matches between top tier teams are going to be great. April atmosphere in September.

Div 2: It was an excellent ideas to have all Div 2 teams meet to come up with an acceptable structure that promotes 2 teams. Look for improved competition.

If new teams want to enter the league - now is the time to do it. Otherwise, the introdcution of a Div three or a tiered Div 1 will put a couple of extra years to all promotion aspirations up to Premier.

The aforementioned "guys" at the meeting all had a vote, but they abstained.:rolleyes: All from the same organization. Frankly expected more foresight from them. Highlight of the evening was Azzi tearing a strip of one fo them for introducing an "idiotic" proposal for for collecting fines. It was sheer comedy.

Sandman

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Change was needed. Change is coming. And for what its worth, I think the level of intensity is going to be much greater in Premier with 3 teams going down and Div 1 should be even more so at the top and the bottom. What will ultimately fix the promotion relegation controversy is to have 10(12) team groups and as many divisions as are required to substain the league.

Div 2 is going to need some sorting out. I think the pain process should have started this year with the creation of the 3rd Div. This would mean coming to an agreement on a cut off that takes into consideration the 3 teams coming down from 1, the new teams wanting entry and the existing Div 2 teams. I am sure that a 20 team Div 2 could be created to align with division above along with the creation of a 10 team Div 3.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 2 is going to need some sorting out. I think the pain process should have started this year with the creation of the 3rd Div. This would mean coming to an agreement on a cut off that takes into consideration the 3 teams coming down from 1, the new teams wanting entry and the existing Div 2 teams. I am sure that a 20 team Div 2 could be created to align with division above along with the creation of a 10 team Div 3.

I have sent Azzi a email asking him to do the following:

*Ask all Div 2 teams to see if they have interest in joining a newly formed
Div 3. (there are 30 teams in Div 2 excluding the relegated div 1 sides but including the 3 fake CAT teams who have no affiliation but are playing in those division to have a place to play. )

* All New Teams should be admitted with the Provisio that they are joining Div 3 if it is formed this year

If there is enough interest from existing and new teams to at least create a 10 team div 3 for next season. Upon the completetion of next season the bottom 5 teams in each side of Div 2 will be dropped to form a second 10 team 3rd division. Meaning Div 2 and Div 3 will have 20 teams like Div 1.. This makes future changes to the league structure ( which will eventually come) to a bunch of 10 team leagues from top to bottom much easier.

That was the gist of what i have sent him anyway. it only made sense to suggest that we meet later to figure out the Div 2 system. At least get some of the reforms through and we can deal with the Div 2 stuff after we have numbers of teams and who wants to play in Div 3.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, Squamish wants to join the league. Can't wait to try and make that trip. Hope they enjoy our 9pm friday game times in Ladner.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, Squamish wants to join the league. Can't wait to try and make that trip. Hope they enjoy our 9pm friday game times in Ladner.

200clicks for this trip....make sure the Bus is well stocked...

Attachments

• SquamishToTsawwassen.jpg
    SquamishToTsawwassen.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 88

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army:

Nice proposal. If the Div 2 teams don't go for it, they could also be offered the option under the committee's plan of playing an unbalanced schedule so they don't get stuck with only 14 games...Agreed; it's hard to come up with a workable solution until the numbers are a known commodity. Hope it all works out to everybody's satisfaction.

Squamish has previously been in the VMSL. It's been a few years, but I remember making that trip a few times. It's really nice at the end of November when you find 2 inches of water on those nice green fields at Brennan Park after making the trip up...:rolleyes::D ...and then you play anyway.

According to Azzi, he'd already talked to the guy about the fines proposal during the break to count ballots...

Interesting times...

Trece

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
200clicks for this trip....make sure the Bus is well stocked...

A Little less actually. We would leave from the Landing in Ladner not the rose in tsawwassen.

I don't know if we could stock enough booze to get there and back with.
Need to refill after the game i guess.

I played SeaBird Island( way the fcuk out there) and chehalis chiefs ( played out of the reserve across from Minter Gardens on the way to Harrison) when in the valley. Those games were fun.:rolleyes:

Used to stop at Wonderland in abottsford on way back though. A little mini-golf and skee ball to cut the drive in 2. Got anything like that in north Van?:D

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What time did meeting go to?

Me and Sidewinder screwed off after giving our ballots to make the second half our game in Ladner. I should have stayed. I wouldn't have missed anything. :rolleyes:

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like the laague is moving in the right direction.
I still believe that groupings of ten, top to bottom (except for the lowest divison) is best.
As it stand, regular season games played (per team) would equal:

Premier - 23 game
1st Div - 19 games
2nd div - 14 games
3rd div - ??? (dependaent on number of teams)

I understand that this is process and will take a few years to complete but how do get a group of 7 to play the same amount of games as the other divisions while at the same time giving every team in that group an equal chance at promo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0