Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Liberals cut grant to BC School Sports

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure we'll all forget about these cuts in 4-5 years when we're distracted by all the new election promises.

Here's the notice BCSS sent to all member schools:

On Friday July 24, 2009 BCSS received notification that the entire provincial government operating grant for the organization had been cut. This is a devastating financial blow for BCSS as there had been no communication, consultation or indications of any funding cuts prior to the announcement of this decision.

In addition, BCSS has received no word on the 2009-2010 Gaming grant request of $56,000.00 of which a large portion goes to the various commissions for facility rentals as well as referees and officials. (This application was submitted in February and is ‘still in process.’) We also have still not heard anything from the Ministry of Education on our request for support with the volunteer liability insurance program, which costs just under $50,000.00 per year.

At the May 2009 AGM the membership had been notified of the healthy organizational and financial status of BCSS and that planning was in place to continue to effectively and efficiently provide the services that BCSS offers its members.

This now leaves BCSS is a perilous position and as a direct result services will be cut back to focus on ‘essential core services’ only.

Core Services are;

Ø Student Athlete Eligibility
Ø Governance via updated Rules and Regulations
Ø 47 Provincial Championships – banners, medals
Ø Sport Commission funding
Ø Exnet registration
Ø Insurance Program – volunteer liability
Ø Limited Legal Coverage

Service Cuts include;

Ø Student-athlete scholarships
Ø Coaching recognition
Ø 2 staff positions
Ø No travel expenses for any in-person meetings (Eligibility Appeals Committee, Board of Directors, Competitive Standards Committee, etc.)
Ø No publication production – Championship programs, on-line report magazine, future hard copies of the Handbook
Ø Possible termination of office space in Burnaby
Ø Student leadership conference participation
Ø No budget work or committee work on meetings that focus on advocacy for our members with key stakeholders that can support Athletic Directors, volunteer Coaches and the organization.
Ø Miscellaneous requests for staff (i.e. research, compiling information, etc.)

In the interim, BCSS is asking each of the Districts through the Superintendents to recognize the value that BCSS has across the Province and assist us by providing some additional funding as follows;

Districts with a student population of under 10,000 = $1,500.00 per year
Districts with a student population of over 10,000 = $3,000.00 per year

BCSS will continue to work in a positive manner to use this opportunity to source out new funding partners, however, please note that regrettably it will not be ‘business as usual’.

The irony of the situation is the government continues to promote its goals of healthy and active citizens. BCSS directly achieves this goal by providing opportunities to over a 100,000 student athletes a year.

Any questions please contact me directly at 604-737-3066.

Yours in the Spirit of Sport;

Sue Keenan
Executive Director

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Sue.

I won't forget. Too bad about our only other real choice. The opportunity is ripe for a Reform type party. Give me someone else to vote for besides NDP, please...

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This hurts, but what did we expect?

The government has aggressively attacked the transportation issues throughout the province with many expensive projects on the go, not to mention a number that are complete (Canada Line, Golden Ears Bridge) and will take years to pay. Now that the money's not coming in from taxes at the same levels as before, how do they make up the difference?

Stuff gets cut. Budgets go into deficit.

Unfortunately, sports is a logical target. It most certainly isn't necessary when you compare it with medical or educational needs. And too much has been spent on the existing transportation projects to reverse them, so...

... and I agree with you Dude - Give me someone else to vote for besides NDP, please... :(

I just can't mark an "X' beside any name that has NDP beside it. The memories of the 90's scare me too much.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a bad thing, but since it has happened, it is now time for kids, parents and teachers to come together, get organized, and raise funds - and seriously. It could actually be one of the best things for the kids.

I look at our younger teams in the club, and I am shocked at the apathy. They don't come out to fund raisers, parties, drink beer after games, elect a beerman, or anything. Maybe this will make the kids realize that if they really want something, they need to go out there and do it themselves. It would be great to see initiative. And for God's sake you young people - elect a beerman, have cold beer at your games, and quit expecting your parents to do everything for you.

I am not saying this government choice isn't shyte (double negative), but I am saying that it happened, get on with it - and make something good out of a bad situation.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
part of the problem is the sports that are offered nowadays...

Curling? ( Fuk me)

mountaing biking? (Do it on your own time)

ski/snowboard teams? ( Nothing like spending money on a bunch of hippie lettuce smokers)

Badminton? (Id say the percentage of players have families that can buck up for this)

Aquatics? ( cut out the pools and use a lake )

Get back to the core team sports in our schools that can be played in house

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys, for those of you that are typical right of centre leaning, watch out for the new BC Conservative party...

I've heard/seen rumblings that this party is going to be a force, they have started work to get the grassroots going as there is a real dissatisfaction with the current choice the BC liberals, with their lying etc... And the other choice was the NDP.

The NDP will be all over this as a vote splitter is always a good thing for the current also-ran.

BC Conservatives - index

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a bad thing, but since it has happened, it is now time for kids, parents and teachers to come together, get organized, and raise funds

Sure... the government continues to blatently under fund and slash public education and the teachers will now start to fundraise for these cuts. Not going to happen. Said it before... less than four months ago this province blindly handed power back to these morons and now enjoy it. I'm sure the mandated 30 minutes of DPA will cover the physical needs of our province's kids.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luch,

as much as I disagree with what Gordo and his hacks have done, it would've put our province back in the dark ages (fiscally) to hand the keys over to Carloe James and her Psychopaths.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN,

We're only four months in. Can't wait to see where our province is (fiscally) after the winter games.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure... the government continues to blatently under fund and slash public education and the teachers will now start to fundraise for these cuts. Not going to happen.

If you aren't going to do something about it, then lump it, and go gather votes the other way for the next election. In the mean time, continue bitching about everything they do, and pass that attitude onto your kids :cool:

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Freddy,

Did it take cuts to school sports to get you're attention? With class sizes ballooning and more and more schools shut down each year, what else was there to cut? PACs have been forced to raise more and more $ each year just to fund the basics. With this latest blow, the extra curric programs are fcuked. You can't raise thousands of dollars with cupcake sales (which, btw, are "illegal" in the new healthy schools act).

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, I didn't say I liked or believed in the government or the decision - I said, "get on with it and make the best of your situation".

I remember many (read "many") years ago when P.W. needed to raise funds for Quest, the got very aggressive on Xmas tree sales and ended up doing a great job raising money. There are frozen meat drives, car washes, work parties, and plenty more.

I was trying to take a poke at kids being responsible for themselves. It's a hard cruel world out there - might as well learn how to duck, bob, weave, and come out on top despite the things that are thrown your way.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0