Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Master's pre-BC Provincial Cup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hot off of the press from the VMSL Office:

VMSL Masters, a league with some 40 teams, will get 6 spots again in the Provincials this year:

Two spots will go to the top two Premier Div. teams, based on points, regardless of which side they play on. (Right now just off the top of my head I think that may be SU and Westside I am not sure though).

The other four spots for VMSL will go to the 4 Master's Cup semi-finalists. The Master's Cup though has had entries cut back by quite a bit because of weather etc.

Similar to last year, the Master's Cup will have more weight than league results it could be argued. And despite adding teams, including a perennial qualifier from the FVSL SU, the allotment of spots to the to the VMSL stays at 6. It follows (unconfirmed at this point but staff are working on it) that FVSL and NSCL will again get three each and 4 will go to the VISL.

Hose

Apr 10, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice format ... what you guys at the league office figured this out by sharing a bag of Doritos. What a joke!

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slur m... 3 teams from NSCL and none from the Millers league? That does seem a little hokey.

How does that format differ from how they choose the open teams?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
To start with you little Chort, VMSL has 8 spots in Open...

Hose, I don't think this has anything to do with the VMSL who probably both would want the VMSL to have 8 spots. It would be BC Soccer that dictates this.

But:

This means, out of

Metro Ford
Surrey Utd.
Sapperton
West Side
West Van
Inter
Columbus
Firefighters

Not to mention PCOV and Wickham, as well as RU, SFU, Cliff etc,

Only 6 of the above teams will qualify.

One could argue though, that at the very least, the VMSL should set out the qualification rules at the beginning of season, or at least not in February.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Final is to be played MAY 26th in Nanaimo.

All Provincial Finals have been pushed back 2 weeks due to the weather problems recently.

So semis on Mothers Day, next weekend in Vernon, and then Final in Nanaimo if all goes to plan... Wife won't be happy.

Give me strength.

:D

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would think one would have to blame Surrey United for all of this.
Seriously.

And:

This means, out of

Delta
Aldergrove
Rangers
Peace Arch
Mission
All Blacks

Not to mention Sapperton Old Boys and Golden Ears, etc.

Only 3 of the above teams will qualify.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dickens:

Unless Miller's League has re-affiliated with BCSA, they won't get spots in a Provincial Cup tournament. Also, aren't they still an over 30 league (at least their Masters' Division)?

Hose:

Actually, the last time I shared a bag of Doritos with SCP, we were talking about how many spots each league should get. We both thought that with more teams (42), our league would pick up one or two more, but BCSA has decided otherwise.

Remember this: the number of spots your league gets in a Provincial Cup is determined by the number of registered players you have. Oh wait, I've said this before. Several times, actually...:rolleyes:

Should another league get fewer spots as a result? Which one would you pick? With the ludicrous weather we've had this year, that's the only option open - there's no way that BCSA would expand the format. So if you took another spot away from the smallest league (FVSL) do you think they would be very happy about it? Fcuk, they're almost insufferable now as it is.

So how would you guys propose that the VMSL's representation for this should be structured? Sir M says that the format should have been determined at the beginning of the season. That's great, and in the best of all possible worlds, that's how it has been done in the past. What's different about this year? The fcukin' weather!!!! I'd say that as a contingency plan (which it should be obvious to even a FVSL Div 2 player that this is), this is a valid replacement. Got a better one?

Under previous management, entry was via a challenge system; all premier teams were automatically entered and any other teams who wanted in (normally only from Div 1) would play down against the lower-positioned premier teams until the 6 reps were sorted. Again, this depended on having time, and fields available. BAM!!! that fcukin' weather thing rears its ugly head again...

Seriously,

Trece

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
trece verde said:
Fcuk, they're almost insufferable now as it is.

I know this debate goes on at nauseam in the Open category too with the VMSL and their whining ;) , but based on # of teams in each league how would it shake out?

Also, I've always thought geographic location should have representation in any 'Provincial' tourney as long as they could compete.
A representation from the Interior and/or North for example.
Another example is that team from Saskatchewan we played a couple years back - They were terrible and couldn't lace any team in the FVSL's boots but they were there at the Westerns.
Do you give BC two berths and not admit them then?

Discuss.
Copyright (C) Regs TTP Incorporated

FVSLforever

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece..... I belive all of this could just be settles over a Poker game....as long as Sir m and dany V. are not the player reps for West van ;)

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hose said:
Nice format (deleted) ... what you guys at the league office figured this out by sharing a bag of Doritos. What a joke!

I have edited this post. Reminder, please do not refer to TTPers by their last name here, use their TTP nickname if you want. Especially when it is as in the above type of reference. Thanks.

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sir M said:
I don't care who qualifies, as long as Rangers and Firemen play eachother.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for us to make the provincials but we don't need to play the Rangers again as I don't think my nose is up to it...let SU...they like playing each other!

Cheers!

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
trece verde said:
Dickens:

Actually, the last time I shared a bag of Doritos with SCP, we were talking about how many spots each league should get. We both thought that with more teams (42), our league would pick up one or two more, but BCSA has decided otherwise.

Remember this: the number of spots your league gets in a Provincial Cup is determined by the number of registered players you have. Oh wait, I've said this before. Several times, actually...:rolleyes:
Should another league get fewer spots as a result? Which one would you pick? With the ludicrous weather we've had this year, that's the only option open - there's no way that BCSA would expand the format. So if you took another spot away from the smallest league (FVSL) do you think they would be very happy about it? Fcuk, they're almost insufferable now as it is.

Trece

Not that you are arguing this point but it has been raised before:
I can appreciate the # of spots is related to no. of teams formula...this way there is no bitching/lobbying about selection.
....BUT the fact that the vmsl has a whack of its 40 team membership in div 1,2, and 3 doesn't convince me that they should get more berths...how those div2 and 3 squads have anything to do with the quality of the upper divisions is beyond me.
As for the valley 7 team league getting 3 spots...it seems generous but certainly no more generous than giving the north shore 3..especially given the results over the years.
As for the future of the valley league, many wonder why there aren't more teams out here...??... I'm thinking that since the 035 format came into play, maybe its harder to keep a core of players together from their 20's and segue into over 30's. Players scatter, get mortgages, wives and kids and have lost the connection from their days of glory.
I know of more than a few players who drift a bit while waiting for 35....can't commit/aren't good enough for the young guns but too young for o35's. So their choices are div1,2 with a bunch of younger guys who are a far cry from anything o35except the odd cougar they may run into.:D

side bar...doesn't it make more sense to reward the top4 vmsl teams in the league with a spot and then add the cup finalists? It would certainly put more importance on the league than a crap shoot cup run?

Aves

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think we should just play the Rangers in the back alley.... the CAT system throws off the VMSL league standings, our guys don't take off shifts for League and coach girls teams on Sundays. I think we should switch to a Friday night league and just not even schedule Dec 15-Jan 15th. In a perfect world VMSL should get the 6 spots and have a challenge/backdoor system with FVSL, the Island for the other 2 or maybe 4 spots - but not this year due to the weather - maybe even an extra birth to the league that won the previous year .. As for guys getting older etc .. the Over 35's is going downhill if you look at the lack of talent sticking with soccer - our guys average age is 44 and we won last year.
As for mortgages - what's a mortgage :)

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Final is to be played MAY 26th in Nanaimo.

So semis on Mothers Day, next weekend in Vernon, and then Final in Nanaimo if all goes to plan... Wife won't be happy.

Sounds like Old Reggy and Slurrey U have booked the hotel in Nanaimo early, well you can allways watch Rangers in the final.

hos

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves said:
As for the future of the valley league, many wonder why there aren't more teams out here

It might have something to do with teams leaving the FVSL...

;)

Figures you'd be in favour of a backdoor system Taxman.
Ya Fudgie.

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Figures you'd be in favour of a backdoor system ....
[/QUOTE]

Listen Rounderthanever - we all know you were the centre on your high school football team ... When is the golf tournament - does your wife want to be in my foursome again ? :cool:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know exactly what to make of this, but here you go:

Vancouver Metro Soccer League
EXECUTIVE MEETING: February 05, 2007

3. Cup Play:

A) - Provincial “A” Cup:

Men’s draw date; Tuesday, April 18th at BCSA Canlan office at 6:00 pm.

1st Round of games April 28/29, Finals May 26, 2007.

Allocations:

Open Division: VMSL: 8 Teams; FVSL: 4 Teams; VISL: 4 Teams.

Masters Division: VMSL: 6 Teams; FVSL: 3 Teams; VISL: 3 Teams.

I guess this is a mistake, unless we have dropped the North Shore completely (or they forgot) and have reduced the VISL allotment by 1, and are only going with 12 teams this year in the BCs in the Masters. This notice cuts back the U 21 spots as well, ( cut it out of this post) but go to the excellent site for details.

Maybe SCP or someone can get to the bottom of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0