Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLS issues Vancouver ultimatum, sort of?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone else read in the paper today about the MLS basically saying if the stadium gets built Vancouver will be the top one or two choice for and MLS franchise in the next few years (by 2011), but if it isn't built it's basically never going to happen.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If this doesn't push the City to see past the Lefty Granola eating lesbian crack addicted tree hugging hippy bain of our city's existance than nothing will.

The fact that we are blessed to have two parties (allegedly) interested in having an MLS side here and willing to fund a stasdium initiative apparently means nothing to the NIMBY's and other people with nothing else to do except protest everything.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I sent an email to the city @ ccclerk@vancouver.ca

To whom this may concern,

As a Vancouver native, I strongly urge this council to consider the positive aspects a state of the art soccer specific stadium would bring to such a beautiful city. Mr. Kerfoot has donated numerous amounts of time and energy into the aspirations to providing the local soccer community something many other cities could only dream of achieving. He is willing to spend his money to build the facility and isn’t looking for financial help. Again, a fact that other cities in Canada and North America would be envious of. While I am sensitive to some of the effects the construction and building will have on others, this proposal is a great opportunity for Vancouver. This vibrant city is about to open its doors to the world in 2010 and although it may be too late to be completed by then, another updated sports stadium could hold a plethora of events for years to come. Which in turn will create jobs for local residents and further boost a thriving economy.

Thanks, JC

The reply was recieved by:
Thank you for your email which has been circulated for information to the Mayor, Councillors, City Manager, Deputy General Manager of Community Services Group, Assistant Director of Current Planning, and the Central Area Planner.

I know it won't be the talk around the water cooler, but the point it was actually responded to means it may somehow get noticed if more peeps do the same thing! Seriously, it took about 5-10 minutes of my time.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness,

Each of the 8 letter words you used took 10 minutes of your time to understand what they meant. Let's be honest here. :D ;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello and thank you for the post. I will be out of the office from Wednesday Nov14th to Friday November 16th on personal business, you see, I have to explain to my mate Guinness the wonderful world of outlook and the Auto Response feature…

If you need immediate assistance please call 1-800-are you fcukign kidding me…

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brilliant...I was going to say the same thing, because I got the same reply.

Point being, it does get in front of the council's screens. If they get read, who knows. Worth 10 (or 30 w/ tutorial, in JC's case) minutes of time.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For what it's worth, I believe the the Stadium is currently being delayed while Kerfoot and friends negotiate with the Vancouver Port Authority over the proposed location of the project. Once that has been decided it will then be delayed by city council until it finally gets approval from them. Just so everyone can get their delays and bureaucracies sorted out.

There was actually a city councillor in the paper the other day talking about the need to get the project green-lighted by the council as quick as possible once they've concluded talks with the VPA. Which is a change. Earliest date of completion of the stadium is now sometime in 2111. Er, 2011.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's true, but to this point the council and NIMBYs have been the big problem. Specifically the council, for failure to locate a collective backbone and allowing this to be over politicized.

I am pessimistic on this like crazy. I think that they should honestly cut their losses, and look at Surrey. Get it done, even though location wise and marketing wise, it isn't ideal. You need the tenant, and MLS is waiting.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree. City Council should have approved this ages ago. It just boggles the mind. Only in NoFunCouver, I suppose. That said, I really hope it will happen in Vancouver and not be changed to Surrey but I can understand the need to move the project if things don't start happening in the very near future.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello and thank you for the post. I will be out of the office from Wednesday Nov14th to Friday November 16th on personal business, you see, I have to explain to my mate Guinness the wonderful world of outlook and the Auto Response feature…

If you need immediate assistance please call 1-800-are you fcukign kidding me…

I love that feature!!! I use it all the time!!! It keeps people off my back!! :D

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: 1.800.Fuc.kyou

piss takes aside, I recieved the following email from a Vancouver councillor:
Dear Mr Collins,
The city is extremely supportive of the stadium - it will be one of the premier venues in the world. At the moment the land issue is not settled as the port and the owner are in a negotiation. Once they have settled I will be asking that the project moves ahead as quickly as possible and will be personally paying close attention to make sure that happens.
I've been a long time soccer fan and hope we see the Whitecaps in the MLS before long.
Thanks for sending your opinion,
Suzanne Anton

It appears Dapotayto knows more than we think!? ;)

vancouversoccerman

Mar 2, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can say for certain that if you write Council, they'll get it and at least read it.

And while Suzanne Anton is one of the biggest supporters, Council can't shirk it's responsibilities just because the Caps are negotiating with the Port.

Despite the fact that every councillor has voted in favour of the stadium at some point, not one of them has been actively involved in the process. Not one councillor has offered to sit in on the negotiations with the Port. Not one councillor has so much as picked up a phone to call Ottawa and lobby on the stadium's behalf. This is the type of involvement and, dare I say it, enthusiasm from Council that we're looking for right now.

Suzanne Anton's comments were encouraging the other day, but it has to be backed up with action. And I think that's the message to deliver to council. Write them again and tell them loud and clear that they have to stop treating this community asset like it were a condo or a supermarket. And tell them we'll hold them accountable if they don't deliver before the next election.

If you're interested, we're also writing letters to the Federal Minister of Transport, Lawrence Cannon, in hope that he can expedite the land exchange between the Whitecaps and the Port. If you write him, keep in mind that he's probably completely uninformed on this issue. It's probably enough to let him know the benefits of the stadium for soccer and Vancouver, and that the stadium enjoys broad, popular support.

To write council, the address is mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca

To write Lawrence Cannon, here is his contact info below:

Cannon.L@parl.gc.ca
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Telephone: (613) 992-5516
Fax: (613) 992-6802

Thanks,
Bill Currie
Friends of Soccer

Members online