Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Results 2001/2002/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sept 15 results...

Stopped by and saw the second half of POCO-BBY B game...Poco looked decent despite the lack of talent against them from the BBY B side. Final was 3-1. Procedeed to my U18 game where my girls forgot that the ball should go in the other twine more than our own. Nuff said there. Then I watched most of the afternoon match between the U19 Alumni and the U19 Canadians teams....or maybe it just felt like a youth game! About 6-7 regular starters on each squad from last year were playing and the rest were call-ups or young'uns that may not see much time when the college girls return. Left when it was 5-0 for the Alum-toons and pretty ugly soccer to stomach for the top couple of teams in the league. BBY even had the same youth keeper in goal that played for the B squad in the AM...where have all the keepers gone? Coach Tommy wasn't there, so Alumni made more than one sub as well. Could've been the score, or his absence!?

Any other results known?

Bravedart....are you out there? I am dying to here that a win came your way!

CD

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lack of talent

Poco looked decent despite the lack of talent against them from the BBY B side
Lack of talent? I would say more a lack of experience. No player on the Burnaby team had played a Premier game prior to that match. The same could not be said for Poco. Burnaby's B team is about the future. The majority of that side is 19 and under. As for Poco, Michelle Artuso (on fire!) and Brenda Stratton carried the team today. However, it should be noted that with a few additions they could be this year's Norvan.

(By the way, CD speaking of lack of talent, your team didn't blow anyone's socks off.):p

As for the UBC-Burnaby game. Shocking! Horrible! For Burnaby anyhow. No excuses. They just didn't show up. By the way each team wasn't missing 6-7 starters. UBC was missing 3-4, as was Burnaby. Good on UBC for smacking some humility into a lethargic (complacent?) Burnaby side. A good wake-up call heading into Nats, to say the least.

BaddayforCanadians...FBshouldhavestayedinbedthismorning!

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB a bit testy?

I did say they were starting 6-7 on each squad from last year, NOT missing that many starters! If you think 1 Artuso and 1 Stratton who hasn't played in some time make POCO that much better, so be it. Although talking to Peggy and watching the game myself, the POCO team has their share of young'uns too.

BTW...why would a B side with not one player having experience at this level be playing in premier? I thought U21 and div 1 were the route for development/experience, and then promotion?

Unfortunately, I 100% agree with your point on my own sqaud. Hardest working team I've ever had at training, but they have floated on a few too many Sundays. Only for 20 minutes after a verbal lashing at the half did they show any desire. Sorry you had to witness that, but I had to witness the women's stuff too! Would love a friendly against the BBY B side at some point as we train at BLW....FB, can you hook it up?

CDhadtoughtimemotivatinghungover17yearoldsyesterday:(

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another Bad Weekend for Semiahmoo

Well it was another hectic week getting everything organised for the weekend games. But after being one coach and five teams a month ago, I am now four coahces and five teams and have almost got a fifth coach. Life is starting to look easy.

As for scores:

Scorpions (Premier): Not really the name we wanted but we're stuck with it til next year. With eleven out this time we only lost 7-0 to Westside. The first half was our best, 3-0, with two of the three goals coming from complete fcuk ups by our defense. Other then that we were fairly strong at the back but could not mount much of an offense. Our back-up keeper (an over-34 player who had not played in net in 12 odd years) made some tre-men-dous saves and an all star performance by our U-17 Gold callup Alison Pochereva proved that she could hold her own at this level. In the second half we succombed to fatigue and had to play the last 25 with only 10. Next week will againg be a different story as we will have two more signings and a few U-18 Metro call-ups including Carly Carson. The only thing against us will be getting everybody out of bed by 7:00 so that we can make the 9:30 kickoff in North Vancouver and the fact that Commandant Cormack might pull our team from the league because of our poor results. :confused: What else would you expect when you put a team new to Premier up against the stronger teams in their first few fixtures.

Surf (Div 2E): Not much to say as I wasn't at th game but I hear they played to a well fought 1-1 draw out at Rotary Stadium.

Strikers (Div 3D): 2-1 loss to the Hodder Tugs (What's in a name?). A fair result for a very positive team who is keen on developing together.

FC (Div 3A): 6-1 win over PoCo City Boss Cartage. FC are a div 2 team that was moved down and from the look of things will most likely be moved up again.:wa:

Sunbirds (U-21): Again another poor name but I couldn't come up with anything better and just happened to see a pontiac drive by. I think they want to be called the Semiahmoo Turf ('cause it's tuff' one of the players said, it would also work because then we would have the Surf and Turf). They lost 7-2 to the North Shore Nemesis a good team but we couldn't put up mich of a fight with 2 no shows and only 8 on the field. Despite the result the Sunbirds look to be a fairly strong team that will definitely help our sponsors bar tab when they come out on the Wednesday nights.

Seniors (Classis): I regret choosing this name more and more each day - it may actually be turning players away from the team!
a 6-1 loss to the 29'ers. Another team that was short handed by 1 due to the slowness of registration by 4-5 players (they must be living up to the name). Again a good positive core of players with a very technically skilled coach in the form of Mike Smith who warmed the bench for the Whitecaps in their glory days. We should definitely look for improvement from this side.

That's it for this weeks report. I might possibly do one for next week if I have the time.

Bravedart ;)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah a wee bit testy!

You'd be a bit testy too if you just watched one of your teams get hammered 8-0!

As for putting an inexperienced team in Premier, you have to know this league to understand the rationale. The league is heavily weighted to the rec side of things. Division One and U21 are not "development" leagues. Division One is good, rec soccer, with a lot of former Premier players. U21 is nothing more than a gold/silver league.

The Burnaby B team is made up of a number of graduating U18 metro players, plus some younger keeners. We have a few premier players on the roster, but they're at college.

Bottom line, if we played this team in U21 or Division One, they'd either annhiliate (sp?) everyone (in U21) or simply go weeks without facing a tough team (Div.1). I have coached the past five years in first division, it's not bad soccer, and there are some good teams (Westside Shooters, SBAA Strikers, Coquitlam City), but the fact is a young team like this would plateau very quickly and in no way would the players be ready to play on our top team in the coming years.

Until the league gets their act together and implements a structure that includes a development division for Premier clubs, the best place to develop Premier players is in the Premier division.

Th Burnaby B side was never put together with any inclination of winning Provincials. We'd like to qualify for BC's but that's a lofty goal at best. The main goal is to give these kids, all of whom are good players and driven to succeed, the opportunity to develop so that they can move up in coming years to the team that will be winning Provincial Championships.

If we didn't do this, these players would go elsewhere. And with no development chain in place, our A team would simply grow old and disappear in the next five years, as so often happens in womens soccer.

As for misinterpreting thinsg, sorry about the 6-7 starters thing. But, along the same lines, I meant that Brenda and Michelle carried that team on Sunday. Over the course of the season, who knows? They'll be a good side if they can stick it out through some of the inevitable long days. (That said, I am a huge fan of Michelle Artuso. I coached her last year. She was my captain, and my best player. She's fitter now than she's been in years, and she's committed. I am thinking this is her year to establish herself.)

Anyhow, I figure CD's girls will turn it around. And hope BD will keep plugging away. Tell the Commodante to leave you alone. He can't force you to get out of Premier. They don't have that right.

FBsorryaboutthelongpost...lovetalkingsoccer:D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too Many Good Players, on Too Few Teams

Originally posted by Fat Bastard

Until the league gets their act together and implements a structure that includes a development division for Premier clubs, the best place to develop Premier players is in the Premier division.

The league took a step in the right direction a few years ago, when they put a cap on the number of players that a team could sign for the year.
Before they had this cap, the top three or four teams would sign all the top players and it would be a four team race for the Provincial Cup.
The league should again lower this cap to say 17 or 18 players max.
That sounds harsh, but it would force some of the quility players off of the top 3 teams on to some of the other teams, bringing the competition up, for the whole league.

One would think that the good players on the top teams, that are the 12th to 18th player on a teams roster, would move to a weaker team for more playing time, and in turn making that team stronger.
This is what you see in mens soccer more and more, players will move from time to time, perhaps because of the lack of playing time, with the end result, a more competitive league.

What would you suggest FB, for a more competitive league, I think there is enough talent out there, but it is so concentrated on so few teams.

HOS

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What to do?

A few things I'd like to see...

1. Limit the subs in the Premier Division. It only makes sense at this level. Then you'd see players going to other teams.
2. A CAT division or development league division of some sort is a must.
3. I like the 20 player roster limit ... not surprising, as I was the director who proposed it. Any lower would make it unmanageable - unless the league adopts a CAT-like format - because teams are without college players for the first few months.

Limiting the subs should be the next step for sure. It's a no-brainer. Five - even seven - subs a game is plenty.

That'smy$0.02...1/2centUS.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Canadians results

In the morning match, UBC handled the Burnaby B team 7-0. Interestingly enough the score was tied at nil until the 23rd minute. Then UBC exploded for a half-dozen before the half time whistle. :(

I know moral victories don't count for much, but the young ladies from Burnaby fought for some respect in the second half, and did extremely well against an experienced UBC side that showed no sign of backing off any. Giving up the single goal in the second half left the team with some confidence going into next weekend's tilt with a more even-matched Westside team.:)

As for Westside, the Burnaby A team took out their frustrations on them, beating them 6-1 in the pm match at Hillcrest. Phebe Trotan and Amber Allen eached tallied a pair, and Nadia Salvino and Lynsey Burkinshaw had one each. The team looked more like the group we've come to expect over the last couple of years. A good bounce-back from last weekend's disappointment (understatement of the year!).

Any other results?

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haven't heard the rest....

I haven't heard the rest of the scores, but I did watch an exhibition at PM turf last night featuring Douglas College against the POCO premier women's team. Despite the fact CD encountered many intoxicated DC girls at their rookie night (Mirage) the night before, surprisingly, they looked quite fit and aggressive in this encounter. I believe the final was 2-0 for DC, but I came a bit late and left a bit early. POCO is struggling big time for a keeper, as they had a young thing do double duty this day for youth and senior. In speaking with Senior Stratton earlier in the day (my metro girls beat his 2-0 in an afternoon encounter), he is frustrated that Alumni had 4 keepers trying out but he can't get 1 to come his way!!

That's all I know for now.....

CD

k-vale7

Sep 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
result

SU 4 SB 0

the ref didn't quite have control of this one, it got a little hacky, there was definitely a lot of fight in both teams.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 3 results

Courtesy of the metrowomenssoccer.com

Norvan 5 - Semiahmoo 0 (Is this the real score BD?)
SBAA Saints 0 - Surrey United 4

Other notes...

Today is D-Day for BD and his team. Apparently the Board meets tonight to determine if his team gets to stay or has to go. He wants to stay, so I think they should let him.

Does UBC have incriminating evidence on the scheduler? Aside from a game against Burnaby that should have been tougher, their schedule has been a walk. Semi, Burnaby, Burnaby, Poco, Bye. There first opponent of note is Norvan on 10/20. Then they follow that up with SBAA. They could conceivably be 6-0 by the time they face SU on 11/3. Of course, they could also pick up a truck load of bad habits by then too!

Watch out for Norvan. Last year's sleeper team is off to a great start. It's fair to say that they have moved ahead of Westside and joined the elite. It's good to see. A team comes to premier and works at it, rather than bitches about it.

FBhashisfingerscrossedforBDandhisteam

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I ain't going nowhere!

Well, the high and mighties at the MWSL (i.e. Bod and Rob) have decided that if Semiahmoo wants to keep on getting slaughtered in the Premier league then who are they to tell us otherwise. This was found out on Saturday morining as I was in the office getting a few more players signed.

And I was getting all of this done while the commandant was basically throwing insults in my direction, just waiting to see my reaction. Comments such as "Well that's a Premier team in the making" when I was signing a div 1 caliber player that Bob knows about, and telling the manager from Surrey United that even he could play in net against Semiahmoo as it was such a lost cause and didn't really matter anyways, all of this while I am basically standing right next to him.:mad:

Am I just supposed to sit there and let members of the MWSL board throw insults in my direction. :confused: What gives him that right. He is a fckuking disgrace to those decent people on that board.

Anyways, FB, no the actual score was 7-0 to a very helpful and understanding Norvan. A quality side, whose only intent was to play soccer and not demorilise their opposition. Kudos to them.

We were managing to have 12 out to our game but ended up with only 9 due to 2 players getting stranded in Whistler the night before and one (our temporary keeper as Carly Carson is now desiding to play for Surrey United) being called away to a family emergency as she was on her way out th door to the game.

Anyways, got to get off to work. :mad:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Commandante Cormack

Comments such as "Well that's a Premier team in the making" when I was signing a div 1 caliber player that Bob knows about, and telling the manager from Surrey United that even he could play in net against Semiahmoo as it was such a lost cause and didn't really matter anyways, all of this while I am basically standing right next to him.

Tell him to fcuk off. He hasn't had anything to do with a winning soccer team in a decade. Frankly, this just goes to show that the arrogance of the Board has indeed hit new levels.

I think this has finally hit a breaking point: (a) we vote Cormack off the board next year and try to refocus their efforts and attitude (tried before, didn't work); (b) form a new league.

Would anyone be interested in a new league. I have a basic framework. Two divisions only, both "A". (1) Premier Open; (2) Under-23. Premier Open would be teams like Burnaby, Surrey, UBC, SBAA, Norvan and Westside. The U23 would be teams like Burnaby B, Semiahmoo, Kerrisdale, etc.

Under23 would be for affiliated teams developing players for the Premier sides, as well as young teams looking to move up to Premier later on.

It's just an idea. But perhaps it's time has come.

FB

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmm....change? Progression?

Well, that's the type of TTP that we need on here. Rattle the cage of the higher ups and push the women's game to a new level. Sad to think that at the national women's senior and U19 level, things have progressed remarkably in the last 2-3 years while the MWSL seems to have stalled and started rolling backwards in that time. The CSA brought in a coach with no ties to their board, a new plan for the program, and look how they have taken strides. The MWSL could learn something there.

FB....your idea has potential on paper. But whether or not there are enough "rebels" within the current structure to make it happen would be the question. For example: Would Potis take her Alumni team to new pastures with her ties to the current structure? Would DP start something new when he has had great success the last two years in the current structure with the BC? Would new teams and players coming up join a new league considering it is hard enough starting a team without worrying about the other logistics?

But CD would be the first one in the door to an info meeting on the topic as he has had talks with a few people about coaching a women's squad next season:)

BTW, when's the last time Bob or Rob laced'em up? And I mean besides grade 11 rugby that was mandatory?

CDwonderingifFBwillgetanxmascardfromCormack

:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
CDwonderingifFBwillgetanxmascardfromCormack
Uhhh.... I don't think so.:(

whether or not there are enough "rebels" within the current structure to make it happen
That is the problem with any new idea. UBC has never struck me as a group concerned with the greater good. Look at the way they've been hammering teams - what does that accomplish. As much as I like Mr.Foden, I have my doubts that SU looks at the bigger picture either. However, in any new league or restructured MWSL these teams will continue to be strong teams. They just need to be convinced that they wouldn't be giving anything up.
I have had some discussion with Chris Venditti a newbie on the board whose naivete (sp?) is exceeded only by his dedication to the league and womens soccer. He thinks he can change things from within. I'm jaded and told him I'd beenderdundat, but I'm supporting him and working with him. I've given him a limited timeline to show me that progress is happening (like a month or two) and if I don't see it, I'm going to shake things up. And I'm going to recruit my fellow TTP'ers like BD and CD to make it happen!

FBisthinkingtheMWSLpremierdivisionisgoingthewayofthedodo:(

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at the way they've been hammering teams - what does that accomplish.
Absolutely. How does week after week of pummeling teams 5+ to 0 make any team better (or challenge them for that matter?

I heard recently that in Kamloops, I think it was, the womens' league hold a draft each year. That exactly what they need to implement here. Rather than one or two teams monopolizing the best players, a draft should be held in order to spread the teams around. This way those 'best' players would be competing against each other rather than together against lesser opponents.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeps...

One must remember that you are dealing with females here (i.e. emotions & blah blah blah) . I know, sounds kookie, but seriously, these teams form cliques (sp?) and some of these cliques control who and what happens with the team.

I love the idea, but really in some weird twisted way some of these teams really get a kick out of hammering the weak:mad: . Just where is this when it comes to the nationals?:confused: The very same teams seem to crack :( or collapse under real pressure:rolleyes: (with exception of the Canadians though, right FB ;) )

I'm waiting for when the collage/uni players graduate and/or head back to BC to pick up this league and spread out the tallent a bit.:) Mark my words, things will pick up in 1-3 years to come;)

+SCnotmissingtheMWSLatall

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just trying to keep on topic so the friendly moderators don't shut this thread down;)

I arrived at the Poco - UBC game about fifteen minutes in. The last 30 minutes of the half went scoreless, and Poco was just about as good and dangerous as UBC. I was stunned.

Then someone told me the score.

UBC managed to score 4 times in the first ten minutes and put it on cruise control for the rest of the half. They scored three more times on the second half - when both teams went through the motions - to finish 7 - 0.

All this without players on National Team commitments.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sunday results

Westside 1 - Burnaby "B" 0 :(
A great game for the Burnaby kids, showing perhaps that they might have what it takes to stick it out in this division. Westside scored the winner with about 10 minutes left. At the very least, Westside got a good scare and had to work for the win. Burnaby should be competitive again next week against a dcent Norvan side.

Burnaby "A" 3 - Norvan 1
Burnaby thoroughly dominated the first half. Then, as they often do in these game, the Lady Caps put it on cruise, with only a very lucky/sloppy goal spoiling things. (You don't often see Burnaby coming away with the "5-0" scorelines - not their style.) Last game before nats, where they'll hav Ros Hicks and KJ in the lineup, and the team looks ready.:D

UBC 5 - Poco 0
As noted above, score was UBC's second straight 7-0 score. They'd better be careful, there's a meeting with SU looming in a few weeks, and I wonder if UBC will be ready for that kind of game.

SBAA 5 - Semiahmoo 0
No word on the real scoreline as of yet. SBAA needed this win badly and came through. BD probably could have used a closer result to keep up morale, but apparently not to be.

FBthoughthewasgoingtogohomewithatleastapointtoday:mad:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is the gap widening???

Maybe this should be a new thread, but is the gap widening from the top 3 to "the rest" in women's premier? With Norvan losing and Westside looking average in beating a young BBY B team, the top 3 could "cruise" the rest of the year and only get good games against each other. I thought the gap was closing with UBC struggling the last 2 years and SBAA and Westside getting competitive in that same time frame, but apparently not so?

UBC toonies look good. At least from the scores. I have only seen them play once in beating BBY A, but I thought POCO was a decent team that would give them a game....but maybe not by the scoreline yesterday.:confused:

I beg to differ with FB's take on BBY A's "readiness" for Nats....I thought with a little more early pressure from Norvan, BBY wouldn't have jumped out to a quick lead. Without Amber Allen pulling the defenders all over the field and creating havoc by herself, BBY doesn't score 2 of their goals. With the young 15 year old and Poole and Dunn looking average, I thought the Canadians back line could've been had with a true striker on the other side;) Hopefully with Ros and KJ back, the individual play that won them this Norvan game will be spread around....I do wish everyone involved with them luck back east of course

:wa:

CDhopingtohearsoonfromFBifXgameisonforThanksgivingMonday:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0