Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Offseason Training - what do you do?

Offseason Training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I say it every summer after our last game - "I'm going to get fit this summer" - and plan to start a fitness/running program.

I'm such a liar.

So as I sit here with about 8 weeks before 'preseason training' starts, I wonder what others think and do when it comes to keeping/getting fit over the summer months.

For those that just play on a summer team, are you actually getting/staying fit or is it kinda negated by the cold pints?

Does anyone run on their own? If so, how frequently and where do you run? (road/park/track)

Don't forget to vote in the poll above!

Cheers,

~Regs.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like to play in one or two tournaments (or tours) to wring the competitiveness out of me, but I'd rather watch summer soccer leagues than run around in them -- too many people being too serious. Hmm... that sounds like winter soccer too... Sticking to Saturday (& Wednesday) soccer in the sun where it is always just for fun.

and running; never. Not even to the phone.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find running on the street is such an attention seeker thing. Especially when you're as hot as me , everyone looks including Franchise and Hector. The best way to get in shape is to put the soccer shoes on and go to a field with a ball and run dribbling it.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a physical specimen i find it takes a lot of work to keep in as good of shape as i do. The fitness training, the special diets, protein shakes as well as the copious amounts of working out i do, barely enables me to keep my body in the pristine condition i am in.

I get up each morning go to the gym and do an hour of spin classes followed up with 45 minutes of Tai Chi with all 3 chinese people in Tsawwassen. You need to balance the wellness of the spirit as well as the body. I then eat a protein shake in which there is 5 raw eggs blended. After that head to work where i sit at a specially designed station that allows me to treadmill while i work. the computer desk etc is setup so i can slowly run the treadmill at 1 mile an hour but it keeps the back in position and doesn't allow yourself to have bad posture or what have you. For our lunch break, i pull out the old rollerblades and blade around for 45 minutes stopping only to pick up lunch at the vegetarian restaurant near the office. After work i hit the pool and take an aquacise class. i find it takes all the stress off the joints and muscles and the resistance the water gives when moving in really gives a good burn. After that i hit the weights for a good hour. I tend to run through a 3 muscle group progression so i only work on an area every 4th day giving my muscles time to heal and repair themselves after the strenuous workout they get. For dinner it's a protein shake and a lean piece of meat with some salad and a green vegetable. Apres dinner i tend to keep it light and just go for a bit of walk to the beach and back. Then another protein shake and i am off to bed.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not a very good speller, and it's a shame that there is only one letter difference between 'fit' and 'fat'. I started out writing in my journal at the end of the winter season that "I was going to get FAT this summer". So far, so good.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find running on the street is such an attention seeker thing. Especially when you're as hot as me , everyone looks including Franchise and Hector. The best way to get in shape is to put the soccer shoes on and go to a field with a ball and run dribbling it.

Well stop training with only save on food bags on then! I saw pete the bum yesterday supporting you though;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I, like Regs, but with hair, always swear I’m going to off-season train outside of my various summer league games, but have any attempts thwarted by a dozen plus pints following any activity. Hell, I mow the lawn an feel it necessary to stand around the cooler and drink. I'm at the age and mentality now it's almost like a game. Let see how fat I can make myself, before the torture of "pre-season" begins.

It’s become my own sadistic ritual and I know one day it'll catch up with me, which is fine... I'll just have to hang out with RF.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Started taking summer season off and run in the trails a ton. Most importantly though...I actually feel like playing soccer again when training starts up in August. Have to agree with colemanj in that too many idiots playing summer ball, thinking they're the sh*t. Lastly: hard fields in summer! The Achilles are shot if I don't take it off - getting old.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I too am old compared to many on here I guess and seriously if I don't run on my own ( which doesn't happen ) I still think I can do it but get hurt 50% of the time I try.
I find if I play out I pull hamstrings when I try to sprint now so that sucks.
If I play in net I can still dive around pretty good and don't have to sprint too often which seems to work for me. Although I'm still paying the price for the following 4-5 days after a game along with my wife telling me I should pack it in if these injuries continue.

I also think of my job every time I put myself in a position to be hurt on the field which sucks as I'm playing a game I love.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fitness is a year round thing for me and the Mrs. But I don't wish to talk about her because its just annoying. But to be super fit, one must balance exercise and diet appropriately.

After trying numerous fads, personal trainers,etc, I have found that nothing beats walking for a couple of hours in the morning to go get the Audi.

And forget about cleansing diets: a dozen Budweisers, one Bloody Mary, and some of the Sir M special recipe super colon blast chili cleanses the system like no other diet.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
okay, maybe Sir M's chili would make me run.

I could use a Bloody Mary right now actually -- I would feel fitter for sure.

besty

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The chili does work!:eek: Lost ten pounds drinking beer and eating Sir M's chili in Aussie.

Must say the summer soccer is getting tough....two games two stupid injuries so far.:confused:

Besty

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm in better shape in the summer then the winter. I play on three summer league teams (and they let me play) compared to the winter league team I (haha) play on (they let me bring the water) plus with all the sandbaggin' I was doing getting ready for that stupid flood that didn't happen, I'm like the Ultimate Warrior minus the long hair, spadex and face paint.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When I do play summer, I don't know if it is fair to call that "playing", or "keeping in shape".

I keep pretty busy w/ other activities that I prefer in the summer to soccer, but inevitably, the first two weeks of pre-season are hellish shedding the beer weight. Doesn't seem to matter how much I ride, I'm heavier at the end of summer than end of winter season.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Doesn't seem to matter how much I ride, I'm heavier at the end of summer than end of winter season.

You might try riding at angle somewhat less than downhill. You see, pedalling typically burns more calories than pulling brake levers. Hard concept to understand, I know. Granted, downhill is more frightening and therefore more intense but that's like saying someone is more of a man because it is scarier to **** a fat chick than a hot one.

Now fcuk off, you're busy.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dap:

No bloody wonder you can't make it out for Wednesday games if you're too busy shagging Dude's mum...:rolleyes: (not that there's anything wrong with that). Hell, I'm probably old enough that Dude's mum would look good.:eek:

Despite the KNVB approach of exercise and then consuming mass quantities, I find that I'm normally lighter at the end of the summer season. Of course, playing 3-4 times a week in warmer weather doesn't hurt. Neither does the Celtic heritage where you sweat from just thinking hard.

Cross-training consists of playing competitive plink with gits like colemanj (ask us how! We'll show you the proper method to do both the figure 4 and the full Ian), and chasing after the demonspawn, along with 70 and 100 pound curls when I catch them. Occasionally, dwarf-tossing is added when we are near enough to dumpsters (if I can find one that Vinnie isn't occupying).

J: Get a cordless phone. Less running involved. Kind of like the way you play on Saturdays...:D

Trece

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know, there is a reason why I don't often employ the too easy yet low brow "I fcuked your Mom" joke- because it is awfully embarrassing when you find out that the guy's Mum has passed on.

Besides, Momma Dude- bless her soul- would never touch a couple of degenerates like you two twats. She had much higher standards, which explains her fine offspring known and loved as Dude.

Now, fcuk off, I am goddamn busy.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0