Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Paul Sagovia as a coach?????

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know this guy ? Any feedback from former players would be appreciated. Anyone on these boards had the pleasure or misery of having Paul as a coach?

be blunt be bias......

any info would help.....

thank you

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Used to coach youth soccer in Surrey, no? Never met him but a buddy in high school (Anders Erikson) used to say he was awesome. I think he gave him candy every week or something. You'll probably like that.

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it's Segovia....aka Uncle Buck.

I had him as a coach in HighSchool (QE 1990) and with the U17 provincial team where he and Skip Radbourne coached together.

He is as funny and as blunt as they come.

Haven't heard his name in years, glad to see that he might be coming out of hibernation.

Gilly

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL.

Haven't heard his name for quite sometime. I think it is best to describe him as "You either love him or you hate him". I was too old to have him as a coach but he coached Pete Hjorth, Paul McCallum, and such. I helped him out few times.

I do know that he is very blunt but I used to laugh at his comments. A chubby, likeable sort with an English accent. You know the type.

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where is the old bugger going to coach?

He was a demanding but fun coach with the Provincail team. Lots of stories and BS. Should be a good coach to add to the mix.

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
He is one good guy to have as a coach!!
I dont think this guy is hated by many!Cocky,funny, and a straight shooter like others in here have said!Coached me when i was with the M.F.oaks.
Him and the skipper never were apart were they now:rolleyes:

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
gilly said:
I had him as a coach in HighSchool (QE 1990) He is as funny and as blunt as they come.

Ahhhh gilly, you've left out all the good stuff!

Ballbaby is right, The QE Royals Soccer team '89 (including Paul McCallum, Pete Hjorth, gilly and myself) had the pleasure of his coaching talents. He taught us many things that year, not the least of which was how to pack a K-way jacket full of stolen junk food from 7-11, and how to play hung over in our Provincial games in Victorial that year. I think the highlight was him leaving our hotel for the entire night to shag some bird, then making us all feel special at the game the next morning, telling us in his pre-game speech that he "gave'er a stroke for each and every one of us on the team". Ah yes, and can't ever forget him assisting in the collection of funds from the entire teenage squad, for the purpose of securing the hotel stripper. She put on a GREAT private show for us!

Fond memories indeed!!!

As far as coaching goes, he IS a good coach. Knows the game well, and has a great way of getting his thoughts across to his players. I believe his temper got him in trouble though, in the mid 80's. The story I heard is that he was an up and coming national level coach, but it all went down the drain when he left the sidelines to deck a referee one game. Not looked upon too favourably by CSA I imagine. Might have been a bad rumour though.

~S

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh yes anyone associated with a team that had Segovia around has more than just a few storiess............but the story of him decking a ref.........now if memory serves me right that was our manager Dave Downing I think...........another real beauty:D The team of "Buck", Doc, Skipper and Downing was priceless.

~JP~

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
John, yes we had some good times with those four "Role Models" leading the way.

I beleive Segovia did crack someone in the ND Tournament when it used to be held at Sands. The Dave Downing story was great because the Dad he decked, his son ended playing on the select team that Dave managed.

Aww the good times.

Posted by Balsa

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Played for Uncle Buck with Metro Ford FVSL D1 men (Magpies) about 10 years ago. (Actually I think he tried playing a little too! Jersey was a wee bit tight.)

Good guy. Give the shirt of his back for his players. And yes, as has been said, every Segovia team has a bushel of stories. We played a tournament in Oregon one summer. More than enough from that weekend alone to write a freaking book.

Tim... If you're looking to hire him as a coach, I don't think you can go wrong. But be prepared. Like I said, he's pretty loyal to his players, but if you fcuk up, he's going to let you know it - and probably everyone who is within 100 yards of your too!

I haven't seen him and Skip together in years. Skip is coaching kids soccer in Coquitlam - no Buck though.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0