Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pool Chemistry

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, clearly I have a screw loose as not only am I in the middle of a kitchen reno, we bought a pool and I spent the weekend digging a level area in the backyard and currently filling the pool up :rolleyes:

(lost 10 pounds through sweat alone, gained back 5 already)

Anyways, anyone here experienced in getting a kit or whatever for keeping the pool clean? I could go to a pool store but I'll probably get talked into spending way more than I really need to.

Help please!

Cheers,

Regs.

PS. haha, you've smoked weed in your pool, haha... fcuk off, looking for real help here.

:)

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mini money pit. Filters pumps chlorine algae Ph booster solar covers and pool toys.

What size is it?

First step when the water is in is to shock it

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would recommend aa solar cover and a skimmer attachment that hooks up to the pump as two priorities. I don't use the test kits. If its clear and smells like chlorine it's good for me.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
12' x 22'

Its about two thirds the way full now... should be done by tomorrow night

Shock?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs I have a pool as well...

What we generally do is have the pool company come twice a season.

Once at the start of summer once at the end. In between we maintain it ourselves.

Once the pool company "opens" it at the start( get the chemical levels correct etc) all you really have to do is go clean out out every sunday and throw in shock and chlorine. There is also some backwashing and filtering that should be done every week. That is a little more complicated but a quick online search will show what to do.

They do have pool chemical testing kits that are inexpensive an very easy to use.

I recommend to buy the shock, ph, and chlorine from places like walmart etc instead of the pool store. The only thing you may want to get from them is a chemical testing kit. Very easy to use.

The amount of maintenance once set up is about 20 mins a week if you do it every week ad stay on top of it.

At the end of the season the pool company will come close the pool (winterize it).

They do have options in the winter. We purchased a high efficeny pool pump, and just run it at the lowest possible setting all winter. This keeps the water moving and is a good option to fully shutting down the pool in the winter.

Plus, you have the option of going for a swim in the middle of January.:gurps:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk this is too much work, I don't love my kids this much :(

:)

Picked up a test kit and shocked the pool last night. So far so good and my test readings this morning show an improvement and I need to go pick up some more stuff today (Alka & Stabalizer).

I guess I need the Chlorine mini pucks and dispenser too but want to see the level come down after shocking (currently 4ppm) before getting that going.

Filter pump has been running almost 24 hours now... how long and often do you run yours? I've read conflicting reports and you are to shut it off when people in the pool?

Cheers,

Regs.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, I will find out about the filter for you. My wife takes care of that. I am brown we make women do all the work.:eek: (My wife doesn't read TTP FYI):gurps:

As far as I know, now that we have the high efficency pump, we just run the filter all the time. I am pretty sure when we had the old pump we also ran it all the time as well except when we would clean the pool. With the old pump we used a lof of energy and the bills got high. Some people would turn off the pump and filter at night to save on the energy bills. The flip side being you need to add more chemcials etc to keep the water clean, so I don't think there is much of a savings.

Like I said, I will confirm tonight, but I think it is generally a good idea to run the filter all the time, even when people are in the pool. as the filter is what cleans the water. if the filter is off, the same water is circulating and not being cleaned. If anything, that would be the time the filter should be running. :smuggrin:

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs I have a pool as well...

What we generally do is have the pool company come twice a season.

Once at the start of summer once at the end. In between we maintain it ourselves.

Once the pool company "opens" it at the start( get the chemical levels correct etc) all you really have to do is go clean out out every sunday and throw in shock and chlorine. There is also some backwashing and filtering that should be done every week. That is a little more complicated but a quick online search will show what to do.

They do have pool chemical testing kits that are inexpensive an very easy to use.

I recommend to buy the shock, ph, and chlorine from places like walmart etc instead of the pool store. The only thing you may want to get from them is a chemical testing kit. Very easy to use.

The amount of maintenance once set up is about 20 mins a week if you do it every week ad stay on top of it.

At the end of the season the pool company will come close the pool (winterize it).

They do have options in the winter. We purchased a high efficeny pool pump, and just run it at the lowest possible setting all winter. This keeps the water moving and is a good option to fully shutting down the pool in the winter.

Plus, you have the option of going for a swim in the middle of January.:gurps:

Does the "pool company" only show up when your not home?

Hmmmmmmmmm

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0