Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Cup Women's Open 2008 - Predictions, Results & Banter

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know it's already the semis but I had a request to start a thread about the women's provincial cup so here it is. Semifinals are set for Sunday in Victoria as follows:

Westside vs Gorge
12:30pm

Surrey United vs Surrey FC Pegasus
3:00pm

Results on the weekend had Westside beating Gordon Head Logan 3-1 and Gorge defeating SBAA 2-0 in a game that sounds closer than I would've thought. On the other side, SU beat up on Norvan 7-1 while Pegasus beat Coquitlam by a larger than expected margin 4-1.

Feel free to comment on past games or make your predictions for upcoming games.

Fat Bastard - I think you should quit making predictions. If I recall correctly, you picked Coquitlam to win the league (didn't happen), Pegasus to win the League Cup (it was Surrey United), and Coquitlam to win Provincials (eliminated in quarters).

I refuse to predict my own games but I will make a pick for the Westside/Gorge match-up. Sorry to my Westside friends and Gomesy Jr, but I think Gorge will win this one especially since it's at their home park. It will be close though if Westside can convince certain players to actually make the trip to Victoria (who refuses to play in a PROVINCIAL semifinal just because it's on the island?!? :eek:).

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come on Surrey F C..............

You know what? I don't know one women on that team.

Now Surrey U....That's a different story.

Shhhhhhhh.....Changed my mind.

I support Megs and Robbie Sumners Team.

God help me!;) Good luck Megs!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guess I was wrong. But I was picking with my heart. Couldn't go against Coquitlam. I figured Gorge, Westside and Surrey would all win their quarters. I thought Peg vs Coquitlam was a toss up. That scoreline was definitely a surprise.

There's something to be said for experience. So I'll pick United over FC this weekend. I happened to come across United training last Sunday, and they looked like a focused group. This group has become one of those teams that just knows how to win, and get the job done when it matters. FC just doesn't have that.

I'll go against the grain and pick Westside to upset Gorge. Gorge only beat the Beavs 2-0, which tells me that maybe they're not as sharp as they'll need to be.

BTW... is Westside getting a travel allowance for this competition? Three Island trips in the 3 weeks. My goodness. Oh yeah, in lieu of travel allowance they received a very nice draw. ;):rolleyes:

I may be wrong again with these picks, but someone has got come on here and stir the pot a little. And with Coquitlam out, I can try to be a little more objective.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmeg's you had to wake Fat Bastard up didn't you? Now he's gone and predicted you guy's, SU to win on sunday. That's like having some old medicine man putting a hex on you! Look at FB's prediction's the last few years of always picking Coquitlam over SU, and so far he is 0-fer to many times to count on Coquitlam's losses. As for Coquitlam getting knocked out, it didn't surprise me, IMO I think their team is over-rated. The one person on Coquitlam who I personally believe is hugely under-rated is their coach TM. Now he get's tossed out the door with no pay cheque or even an honararium(sp), maybe they will at least give him a Golden handshake!:rolleyes: FB did you put your resume in with COQ for the paid coaching job? Maybe you could lead these under achievers to the promised land?:D
As for this weekend's semi's, I believe Surrey FC will be pumped for this game, but I have to agree with FB on his comment about SU being focused. I heard through the grapevine that some of these girls might be up for retirement and would love nothing better than to go out in style, just like Nadia G did a few years back!;) This game will be close, hopefully with SU taking it. As for the other side I believe that Westside will be well prepared with Gomesy Jr as their coach now, but the Gorge just have to much high Octane for WS to overcome. I hope WS pull's it off but I'm predicting the Gorge by at least 3 goals over the mainlanders!

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmeg's you had to wake Fat Bastard up didn't you? Now he's gone and predicted you guy's, SU to win on sunday. That's like having some old medicine man putting a hex on you! Look at FB's prediction's the last few years of always picking Coquitlam over SU, and so far he is 0-fer to many times to count on Coquitlam's losses. As for Coquitlam getting knocked out, it didn't surprise me, IMO I think their team is over-rated. The one person on Coquitlam who I personally believe is hugely under-rated is their coach TM. Now he get's tossed out the door with no pay cheque or even an honararium(sp), maybe they will at least give him a Golden handshake!:rolleyes: FB did you put your resume in with COQ for the paid coaching job? Maybe you could lead these under achievers to the promised land?:D
As for this weekend's semi's, I believe Surrey FC will be pumped for this game, but I have to agree with FB on his comment about SU being focused. I heard through the grapevine that some of these girls might be up for retirement and would love nothing better than to go out in style, just like Nadia G did a few years back!;) This game will be close, hopefully with SU taking it. As for the other side I believe that Westside will be well prepared with Gomesy Jr as their coach now, but the Gorge just have to much high Octane for WS to overcome. I hope WS pull's it off but I'm predicting the Gorge by at least 3 goals over the mainlanders!

Fat Bastard seems like one of the more astute footballers on this site, If he says SU is going to win, SU is going to win. I also believe that Surrey United will win because I really want them to. That is all. And they're quite pretty.:cool:

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've never seen the Gorge women's team play, but I believe they were in the finals last year vs. Surrey and it was a one goal game was it not? Therefore, I know we have our work cut out for us. However, I am getting too much credit for the run our team is on at the moment. Because of commitment to Sporting and the conflicting schedules, I have not been around very much at all the last few weeks and Leah Woon-Moon deserves the koodoos for getting the team this far! Hopefully we will see an all MWSL final!

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gomesy Jr, yes it was 1-0 SU over Gorge in last year's final, with everyone's favorite female TTPer Nutmegs getting the goal! Reg's and KNVB are always insightful with their prediction on games, I'm curious as to whom they predict this weekend?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do you really want us to predict on a SU game? Our most recent track record is pretty brutal, I don't think the ladies would like the jinx.

:D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard seems like one of the more astute footballers on this site...

Whatever Ballbaby is smoking... I want some.
I've been call a lot of things starting with the letters a-s, but this is a first for astute.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry to my Westside friends and Gomesy Jr, but I think Gorge will win this one especially since it's at their home park. It will be close though if Westside can convince certain players to actually make the trip to Victoria (who refuses to play in a PROVINCIAL semifinal just because it's on the island?!? :eek:).

Is this true that some Westside players won't travel to the Island? Or did they have work commitments or what?

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this true that some Westside players won't travel to the Island? Or did they have work commitments or what?

Heard that a few of their university players (UBC) might not go to the Island because they have a final exam and need time to study. Can you believe that?!?

Westside only had 10 players on the Island for their first round game because of these same players not wanting to waste a study day travelling to Victoria!! Why play the season if not to play in the provincial cup?!? It's kinda like North Shore being in first place after the regular season but not being able to field a team for provincial cup (due to picking up out of province players who left before the season ended). What's the point of playing all season if not for the opportunity to win a provincial championship and represent BC at the Nationals? Some of these young girls need to get their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmm, football or fail pre-law. The soul search that must take place...

I'd travel to the island to get get spanked by you Nutmegs.

;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard that a few of their university players (UBC) might not go to the Island because they have a final exam and need time to study. Can you believe that?!?

Westside only had 10 players on the Island for their first round game because of these same players not wanting to waste a study day travelling to Victoria!! Why play the season if not to play in the provincial cup?!? It's kinda like North Shore being in first place after the regular season but not being able to field a team for provincial cup (due to picking up out of province players who left before the season ended). What's the point of playing all season if not for the opportunity to win a provincial championship and represent BC at the Nationals? Some of these young girls need to get their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

It's obviously not that big of deal for some I suppose. The womens league needs to get more teams involved in the Provincial Cup to make it more interesting.......Maybe that's why the same teams are always winning it? I don't know.....Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nutmegs doesn't the team you guy's play this weekend, Surrey FC, have any players who go to UBC that have to write exams? I know your team is all SFU players and you guy's don't get exams up there this late in April!:D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
First, as for teams not being able to get players out for Provincials, I totally agree with Nutmegs. If you can't take a few hours, or even a day for an Island trip, away from studies, then some time management lessons are in order. Just my two cents. I never missed a training session during my university days, let alone a match. Of course, my four year degree took five years to finish, so there might be a lesson in that.:eek:

For the record... North Shore should be suspended from Premier Division for one year for not meeting their commitments. That's crap.

As for more teams in Provincials. I've been pushing that for years. Any team in the whole league that wants to sign on "A" forms should be allowed. Then they can be entered into the Premier Cup, which would be the MWSL's version of the Packenham or Imperial. Frankly, I doubt there's a non-Premier team that could knock off any of the top four or five teams, but what the hell, on any given day, right? Isn't that the beauty of Cup soccer? If a team wants to take a chance all the power to them if you ask me, even if they get their asses handed to them on a platter. I'd respect them more than North Shore, who didn't even bother to show up.:mad:

But the League just doesn't seem interested. They can't seem to accept the fact that some teams and players want to compete and win - regardless of division.

FBakaTheAstuteOne;)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know what's more unbelievable... that Westside pulled off the upset undermanned and without a keeper (so said the rumours), or that I got a prediction right.

Did I get my other pick right, with United knocking off Peg? If so, I am expecting a full written apology from Nutmegs, and official recognition of my 'astuteness'.

Of course, if Peg wins, then I apologize to Megs and the United ladies, as it will prove my ability to curse is still working just fine, and the Westside win was an abberration.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did I get my other pick right, with United knocking off Peg? If so, I am expecting a full written apology from Nutmegs, and official recognition of my 'astuteness'.

Of course, if Peg wins, then I apologize to Megs and the United ladies, as it will prove my ability to curse is still working just fine, and the Westside win was an abberration.

No worries, FB - the curse seems to be over!! Please accept my apology.

SU won 2-1 in a classic Surrey United playoff game. Other than their first goal at about the 5 minute mark I don't think Peg had a clear-cut scoring chance the rest of the way. We came back with one shot off the crossbar a few minutes after their goal and then scored about 10 minutes after that. We went ahead at about the 35 minute mark on a perfectly executed free kick - young'un Rachael Pelat with both goals (I'll take credit for the assists - thank you). We generated about another 5 great scoring chances in the second half but couldn't put it away. Defense held on great for the victory despite some shocking reffing.

Congrats to Westside on their upset over Gorge - they just had more heart.

Just 90 minutes and we can accomplish the "Drive for Five"!!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0