Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rating your ref thread........

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No names need to be mentioned but out of curiosity, it will be interesting to see which teams are happy with the ref's performance and which aren't.....it would be good to explain why they are good or bad........just don't mention any names, unless it is good....

I've watched both Club Ireland games this year and both games have been officiated VERY well. The two refs were talking to the players, not throwing cards out like candy, and most importantly keeping up with the play. Great job by both. :)

As for both Premier games, with assistants.............consistency hasn't been strong.......one ref allowing a team to sweat at him throughout the game......and letting many tackles go before even thinking about cards.......other ref giving a card out 3 minutes into the game for a guy challenging with the keeper fairly........:(

Anyone else so far?

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's really disturbing to hear Captain, sweating shouldn't be allowed and refs really have to put their feet down about this. It brings the game into disrepute.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was coaching a team in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, a tournament where we were told anyway that there was high quality "college" officiating.

I can say that by far all officiating I have seen in the VMSL are light years ahead of the officials in this tournament in St. Louis.

We had Docherty yesterday, and he was excellent.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree for the most part SirM except that when we asked why we got a yellow for complaining and you didn't, the reply was that we were louder... and it was Besty at the time who was the subject :D

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
ours was not great - giving a penalty shot for RZ's second dive of the day on the goal line near the six yard line with no time left - unbelieveable. The only reason he gave it was because he made the same call against Inter last weekend. I just hope we get him next weekend so we can get payback. otherwise he was fair except for the first time ever that I have sen an Inter player running the line call a handball against Fireman and the ref not seeing it relying on the linesman - that is just wrong - if he doesn't see it he doesn't call it - how simple is that.

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The refs we had for both of our games (div 2 - old farts) were pretty good. I don't really know their names but the first ref was a younger Italian fellow and the second was a middle aged fellow with red/blonde hair.

The calls from the second ref seemd alittle more one side against us but did not ultimately change the result of the game.

I do have one question/concern:

In our frist game an opposing player walks by and elbows/forearms one of our players while he is setting up the wall. Our player retaliates by kicking him. Both got red cards...fair enough. The problem is that both got 3 games for the this. Why so harsh?

Also, are there specific refs reserved for the premier teams and then a pool of refs for the rest of the league?

Can't wait to report on my friend father John:confused:

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do have one question/concern:

In our frist game an opposing player walks by and elbows/forearms one of our players while he is setting up the wall. Our player retaliates by kicking him. Both got red cards...fair enough. The problem is that both got 3 games for the this. Why so harsh?
:confused:

First of all the other player should not get 3 games - if it is just a forearm and not a punch two games max. Kicking someone deserves 3 as does not waiting until later to smoke the idiot. Everyone knows retaliation is stupid and ther is always another opportunity to get even.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all the other player should not get 3 games - if it is just a forearm and not a punch two games max. Kicking someone deserves 3 as does not waiting until later to smoke the idiot. Everyone knows retaliation is stupid and ther is always another opportunity to get even.

Violet conduct is an automatic 3 games. Once the ref puts those words in the report, which he would for kicking-forarm shiver its 3 games minimum. Harsh in some cases but those are the rules.

Freestyler

Nov 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't wait to report on my friend father John

You would have thought that he wouldn't bother even getting up for games anymore after his nights of drinking. I guess getting that free beer after the game is still worth it for him. Has he dropped to reffing solely div. 3 yet?

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You would have thought that he wouldn't bother even getting up for games anymore after his nights of drinking. I guess getting that free beer after the game is still worth it for him. Has he dropped to reffing solely div. 3 yet?

Considering that I'm playing with the o-35 this year, I do not suspect I will be seeing Father John. Our games start at 10 am and that would mean he would have to get up around 6 am to get his rickety old body on that rickety old bike to be the game on time.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't say I was too happy with our latest referee. I'm not sure if he was blind or just doesn't know what a foul looks like, because he often appeared to be looking in the direction of the play, but just didn't bother to blow his whistle. Of course with this lack of calls things eventually got close to boiling over. His reasoning for issuing a yellow a piece to one of each of our players after some melee was that their guy attempted to kick our guy on the ground, but missed and our guy then pushed him. Shouldn't attempting to kick our guy on the ground be a red? Strangely he also seemed to know just about every player on the other team by first name. Does that bother anyone else? Maybe at least pretend to be neutral...

Anyway, some choice remarks by the ref:

After our player questioned a non-call - "Fcuk off away from me"

After he called a handball penalty against us - "I was going to call it non-intentional but then it bounced in your favour so I had to call a pk"

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't say I was too happy with our latest referee. I'm not sure if he was blind or just doesn't know what a foul looks like, because he often appeared to be looking in the direction of the play, but just didn't bother to blow his whistle. Of course with this lack of calls things eventually got close to boiling over. His reasoning for issuing a yellow a piece to one of each of our players after some melee was that their guy attempted to kick our guy on the ground, but missed and our guy then pushed him. Shouldn't attempting to kick our guy on the ground be a red? Strangely he also seemed to know just about every player on the other team by first name. Does that bother anyone else? Maybe at least pretend to be neutral...

Anyway, some choice remarks by the ref:

After our player questioned a non-call - "Fcuk off away from me"

After he called a handball penalty against us - "I was going to call it non-intentional but then it bounced in your favour so I had to call a pk"

Very sad when refs like this are assigned.....disgraceful actually.....

In our womens' game on the weekend, the opponent was awarded a phantom penalty.......before he blew his whistle for the penalty kick their player shot the ball wide.......must be a retake.......but no, he awarded a goal kick. Nice when officials don't know anything about the game.........:mad::mad:

That was one of MANY missed calls and very obvious ones at that.......shocking would be the only description

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great ref tonight in our make-up game against the Fury. I've never seen him before, but he said he usually refs premier...

Anyway, he actually had good man-management skills, explained calls, gave warnings before brandishing yellows, and talked to players throughout the game. I wish we could have him every week.

evergreen

Mar 17, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL needs to take a bigger responsibility for its refs. When I still hear refs talk about handball and "gained an advantage" I wonder if they have any interest in keeping up with the rules. VMSL can't keep a blind eye forever.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
God help us :rolleyes:

On a happier note, it appears PNE received a CSA Achievement Award, whatever that is, they haven't achieved much over the years have they? :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0