Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Referee's Interpretations

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
REFEREE'S INTERPRETATIONS

Looking for some feed back from all those referee lurkers

10 yard rule:

Once a foul is committed, isn't it the responsibility of the team that committed the foul to move 10 yards back immidiately so the play can continue, regardless of where it is on the field?

Refs will give a player a yellow for standing in front of the ball in the middle of the field, but around the 18 box, you let them stand there until the opposing team asks for 10 yards. And then they have to wait for a whistle. WTF?

Brian Wilms, a ref, says it's the responsibility of the fouling team to move away immediately, told to or not. This is the correct interpretation because this allows the game to flow, gives the fouled team a deserved advantage, and is consistent with referee actions throughout the game.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New Rule

I wish refs would do this more often, especially in the middle of the park, where the team that commited the foul wants to slow the game down and get set up, so they try and stop the quick free kick by not getting back from the ball right away.

Now around the box is difficult, if a team sets up the wall 8 yards back instead of 10 you can't use the rule, but if they are to have a guy stand right in front of the ball to stop the quick kick, then I think the ref should move the ball forward.

This would definatly speed the game up, and force teams to get back from the ball if a foul is commited.

We will call it the WAB rule, put it into FIFA big man.

hos

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob

Brian's interpretation on the 10 yard rule is correct except in the penalty area, if an indirect free kick is given to the attacking team inside the penalty area all defending players must be 10 yards away from the ball unless they are on their goal line between the goalposts.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A Given

I know everyone has to 10 yards away. It's a given. But is the onus on the player to move 10 yards immediately, or on the attacking team to ASK for 10. Refs lack consistence in this situation. And when you do move them back 10, why do we have to wait for a whistle?

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: A Given

And when you do move them back 10, why do we have to wait for a whistle? [/B]

Witabootboabie ~

Answer: So after the ref marches out 10 yards, he/she can make sure they have time to get into position. Note, I have cautioned many players with a yellow card who have encroached (sp?) 10 yards, on any part of the field (unsporting behavior).

Slainte,

Oor Wullie

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
this happened to us this weekend. indirect free kick in the box. their team tried to take a quick one but was told to wait for the whistle. the ref explained it as falling under a "celebratory foul/situation"???

no idea what he was talking about but he seemed to know what he was saying :D

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As far as I ever knew, the player taking the kick has the right to ask for 10 yards and at that point the ref will count it off and the player taking the kick must wait for the whistle. But if he/she does not ask for 10 and decides to take the kick quickly, then he/she has no right to complain that the opposing player was not 10 yards away.

In and around the box, same deal. A good ref will only show a yellow card to a player who refuses to yield 10 yards after it has been marked off.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0