Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier REFEREES - Premier

blindman

Sep 27, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahhh, the annual referee debate! A few guys in this thread have mentioned that there are some good younger AR's (linesmen) arriving in premier this season. That's a key step in getting rid of us old guys who you want to put out to pasture. It's a great learning experience for them on the line that helps them develop into your referee's of the future. But in order for them to stay around long enough to become the next generation of premier referees they need to be left alone. In many of my premier games with young AR's this year, I've seen lots of guys on their case and I've thrown a few yellows for it. These AR's are young and are going to make mistakes but if they get abused every time they make a mistake they're going to realize they either A) can make more money at McDonalds on a Friday night or B) realize there are more exciting things to do then stand on a line, in the rain, in God knows where, at 8PM on Friday night! After being chased around Cloverdale Athletic last year by two guys threatening to, "cut me into little pieces" (at least I can outrun the div 3 guys), I've now seen and heard it all and I know how to deal with it and will always be back the next week, generally no matter how bad a single experience is. The young guys may not come back after an ugly night of abuse and if you want to get rid of the rest of us, you can not turn off the younger guys when they are still learning. Going beyond the young AR's, the young refs getting their first run in the middle in the FV need to be cut some slack too, although that would be the responsibility of the Div 2 and 3 players where refs start out, where the abuse is actually worse then at the higher levels because there are too many guys who couldn't recognize a good referee if a berth in the cup final depended on it. Bottom line, if you want better refs you need to create an environment that they'll want to come back to next week and thats all about how you treat them, not how much you pay them.

Friday Knight

Sep 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You bunch of fcuking babies bitching about refs. Play the game! I've been in this league longer than Cantona has been alive and you are never going to get every call you want, believe me, I've tried.

Wow Nukes...I didn't know you even heard yourself trying to get every call to go your way! All of us old guys who played with you just assumed you had an automated recording that went off whenever you heard a whistle!! :D

That's the difference though...even little old yappy guys like Nukes learned along time ago that you have to treat officials with respect, even if you disagree with the call and want to let him know about it.
Posting complaints on TTP (or starting the thread :eek:) probably won't earn you the favourable calls you're looking for.

BTW: Nukes...only 20 mistakes...are you getting limited playing time these days?!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You bunch of fcuking babies bitching about refs. Play the game! I've been in this league longer than Cantona has been alive and you are never going to get every call you want, believe me, I've tried. As a player, I make 20 mistakes a game, Guiness probably makes 25, that being said, the refs are going to make the odd mistake. Deal with it. Never has a call on the field changed my life. In 20 seasons in this league I can hardly remember a game that was "ruined" by a ref.
I feel lucky to have the refs that we have. If you consider the driving time to and from the pitch, as well as the game itself, a game would take 2 and half to 3 hours. To do that for $50 and take all of the abuse from you bunch of bitches, I wouldn't do it! Obviously, our refs don't do it for the money. Maybe to get some exercise, get away from their wives, get out with the boys, get a beer, whatever. Next time, say thanks ref...have a beer.

PS. Bluebird, please tell me that you didn't graduate with those writing skills

You're very lucky to have no games 'ruined' by a ref. In fact, we have had 2 calls in the last week which essentially ruined the game..........I won't say anything more on the issue.

nukes

Feb 12, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure that 2 calls can ruin a game. I wonder how the other team feels?
Possibly if you were up 1-0 and the ref called you for a hand ball in your own box when someone kicked it at you from 2 feet away and you couldn't get out of the way in time. If this happened twice in in the last 10 minutes of your game, then I might be on your side.
Side note: Abby/Chilliwack boys might remember this exact incident way out in Metro Ford in the Pak Semis in '97. I do remember the other team was quite happy with the reffing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nukes, you're on fire! Did you saddle up to a Canada Cooler mixed w/ Red Bull before ranting?

Quality. "I might know your mom." :D

nukes

Feb 12, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of on fire.......I noticed you snuffied in a GWG on Saturday night, well done! Now the question really is, did you know which net that you had scored on right away?:bronco:

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
After being chased around Cloverdale Athletic last year by two guys threatening to, "cut me into little pieces" (at least I can outrun the div 3 guys), I've now seen and heard it all and I know how to deal with it and will always be back the next week, generally no matter how bad a single experience is.

that was you that reffed that game? I was playing for tsaw that night, man that was unreal! I've played for 12 years (not long compared to some of you guys) but I've also been a ref for the past 5 years on top of playing (sometimes putting in 4 games a weekend), and in all my games either playing or reffing, I have never seen or even imagined anything like that happening. something in that dude just snapped that night, but I'm glad you got away and are ok. As unbiased as I can be, you were one of the better refs our div.3 team had last season.

I feel it is 2-3 HORRIBLE referees that need to go. Not ref another division, or a different league. They just need to not ref.
Period.

I think that about sums it up.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nukes,

Dealing with pressure is nothing new to me. Some people can take it, some can’t. Some (like me) only score GWGs, or a cracking OG at minute 85 in a 3-1 Pakenham Cup game, to make things interesting. I am kinda like the Trevor Linden of LUFC. Old, broken down, a lot slower than I used to be, a lot crankier & cynical, still darned handsome, and playing limited minutes…but when the chips are down, and the Sean Kelly’s of the world have mentally checked out, you can always count on Mr. Clutch. Squeaky wheel, baby. Squeaky wheel.

~IwishIhadlongerarmstopatmyselfontheback.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is that anything like when you promise those young LUFC youth players some chocolate if they come over to your house to sign, Frank? ;) ;) ;)

Frank

Sep 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is that anything like when you promise those young LUFC youth players some chocolate if they come over to your house to sign, Frank? ;) ;) ;)

Yes,why would i treat them any different . And no that's not a beer in my pocket ;)

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
PS. Bluebird, please tell me that you didn't graduate with those writing skills

not sure what i did wrong but no in the uk we dont feel the need to graduate they just talk at you for 10 yrs then turf you out edumacation aint that impotent :p

Mumms

Oct 10, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure of the purpose to this thread... However, I am glad to see several people standing up for the referees. It is a thankless job that pays very little. It makes no sense to complain about refereeing two seconds after a call (the call never gets reversed) and certainly not days, weeks, months and years later on TTP.

I will admit I have had a go at referees, am I proud of this? certainly not... often it is just my adrenaline getting the best of me. However, after the game I forget about the calls, shake the referees hand and enjoy a frosty beverage. Referees provide an essential service to us soccer enthusiasts... without them we would not experience the thrill of competition, sense of team comradery, and boys night out.

On that note... Rapids took Vancouver by storm last Saturday night... it was an eventful night where players like Slane, Calver, Mouretzen, Perry, Mummery, Cameron, and Yeomens show their true form. It was the best session and outing the Rapids have had this year and for that I thank the referees. They made it all possible. In fact, there is a certain "Stag-et" that thanks the referees as well. Oh my god... I've said too much.

Next Rapids night out... December 10th... once a month, right Yeomans!

studsup

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nukes, you're on fire! Did you saddle up to a Canada Cooler mixed w/ Red Bull before ranting?

Nukes wouldn't drink that piss, he had a beaver buzz, same as Dude did before he scored his GWG. BOT, I think the refs we got in this league are good quality. For the most part, i notice it is the older guys who respect the refs, guinny, nukes, mumms, LFC, etc are all experienced players who have played for years with these refs and there is a mutual respect there as they all know how difficult their job is.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BLAH BLAH BLAH

We are ALL in a agreement it is a thankless job, and a difficult one to boot.

MY point is that it is a few ref's need to be weeded out, so to say.

Again, they should not be sent down to a another division or league.
They need to be terminated. They (the 3 or 4 refs out there) should not be referees.

Period.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MY point is that it is a few ref's need to be weeded out, so to say.
Again, they should not be sent down to a another division or league.
They need to be terminated.
So, who refs the games then? There's not that big a line up.
There's an even shorter one for the job of assessor.

Rivermouth

Oct 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
On that note... Rapids took Vancouver by storm last Saturday night... it was an eventful night where players like Slane, Calver, Mouretzen, Perry, Mummery, Cameron, and Yeomens show their true form. It was the best session and outing the Rapids have had this year and for that I thank the referees. They made it all possible. In fact, there is a certain "Stag-et" that thanks the referees as well. Oh my god... I've said too much.

Next Rapids night out... December 10th... once a month, right Yeomans!

On THAT note...might be good to see the rest of the pussies....er..."lads" from the other clubs, join us in a rousing night swingin the ole "shelaighleigh" at the "Blarney"...IF they DARE?! How 'bout we just let everyone know when the festivities begin...and see if they are up to the challenge? :D

®iver

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0