Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Referees

k-vale7

Sep 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know what things are like on the men's side of things, but over here in the MWSL there are some questionable refs that seem to be a few bricks short of a load. I understand that it tends to be a thankless job, but come on...

We do not want to stand around in the cold while we try and warm up listening to your irrelevent tales of previous soccer glory days.

We don't really care that you are single handedly trying to enlighten FIFA in the ways of positioning yourself for throw-ins.

Yep, I'm pretty sure we all know what a hand ball is, but thanks anyways.

Here's a quote from one special ref, "We all have to go work tomorrow, so let's take it easy out there." Uhhh, are you kidding me.

And the single most frustrating thing in women's soccer today, other than kick-and-run, is...yes, we are in fact women, but must you ref us like we are all in reform school. Don't swear, that would be unladylike, in fact you really shouldn't speak unless spoken to. There are some of us out there who like to get into it, let us get in to it for goodness sake.

ok, I'm done.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are some of us out there who like to get into it, let us get in to it for goodness sake.

There's something very erotic about this quote. :) I like to get into it , when I can too. :wa: :wa:

As a coach of an Under 18 girls team, I couldn't agree more with your comments about the refs. They think that it should be a stroll in the park every week and rarely get involved in the game like they should. They are often condescending and outright ignorant. You made some good points, even if they turned me on somehow........

Captain

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Horses Mouth, OK the Refs Mouth

Originally posted by Captain Shamrock
They think that it should be a stroll in the park every week and rarely get involved in the game like they should

I have heard a former VMSL Premier ref say this. He did not want to take the abuse at the Premier, 1st, and 2nd Div. mens level any longer, so he only does womens games now.
This ref said that the money was the same, the pace was easy, and that the women never talked back or swore, so it was a nice morning or afternoon in the park.

This is a joke, is that why you want to be a ref, a walk in the park and $40 bucks.
I guess the VMSL doesn't need this guy if he thinks this way, but what is stopping all refs from going and doing womens soccer for the same money as mens, with far less hassle.

HOSwantstoRefWomen

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This morning in a 1B game, the ref told the Southside keeper that she was not allowed to move prior to the ball being kicked. No hopping, shifting, or side-to-side movement at all.

The Southhill coach rightly bitched and complained -- unfortunately a little too much, though, when he came on the field and approached the ref swearing at him, etc. -- but the ref would have none of it.

Shocking that a ref doesn't even know the current (and correct) rules. :rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a former referee myself, I don't like to criticize, but I am beginning to wonder if the MWSL gets more than it's fair share of poor (or at least indifferent) officiating.

I know that there's upwards of 70 games a weekend played in this league, and we only hear about a handful of ref-related issues every week, but I really have a nagging feeling that there's plenty we don't hear about.

Another example... In yesterday's game between Burnaby B and Poco, the Burnaby striker was 18 yards out with a clear path to the goal. The referee blew the play down because a Poco player was limping. She wasn't down, not even on one knee. She was limping. Thus, the best goal scoring chance of the game (0-0 draw) was transformed into a drop ball with one blow of his whistle.

Of course the Burnaby coach was livid. The referee told him to keep it quiet or else, but also told him that as a referee his job is safety first and after evaluating the injury he determined it was best to stop the play. (Interestingly, he didn't stop the play moments earlier when Poco had possession, but he does after Burnaby steals the ball.)

It's these kinds of calls the many of us find so frustrating. There is no way that happens in the mens leagues. But these referees insist on changing the rules for women's soccer simply because it is women's soccer.

Having said all that... There are some good referees out there, men and womene who treat these players with respect and allow them to play the game the way it was meant to be played, regardless of gender. Probably wouldn't be bad idea to point out the good along with the bad sometimes.:)

FBneverhappywithreferees...andrefereesneverhappywithFB!:D

Referee

Oct 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's true, some referees do treat women's games differently from a men's game.

The league has informed the referee association (VASRA) members to treat all MWSL the same way they would a VMSL game. Unfortunately, not all referees are members of VASRA/BCSRA and the message is not getting across to all refs.

Without publicly criticizing fellow referees, the sad reality is that there are a lot of referees that are in it for the money and sees a MWSL game as a "walk-in-the-park".

I am a referee in the MWSL, VMSL and other leagues, and it pisses me off to see other referees walking around the field while I run my ass off in Premier and Div 1 games for the same $40.00. We are trying to weed these guys out internally, but some of these referees are part of the "old-boys-club" and therefore deemed untouchable.

If you have a referee that did an unsatisfactory job, let the league know. BUT, if you have a referee that did a good job, let the league know as well. That's one way for the league and scheduler to determine which referee officiates Premier, Division One and higher calibre games.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do they still have Fitness Testing for Refs

Originally posted by Referee
We are trying to weed these guys out internally, but some of these referees are part of the "old-boys-club" and therefore deemed untouchable.

I remeber before seeing Refs doing a 12 min. run up at SFU, it was part of a Fitness test for them, I think they had to do 5 or so laps in 12 min. Sounds easy, but lots of the Refs were struggling with it.
Do they still have this testing?

I passed easy, I did 5 1/2 in 11 min. 45 seconds.

HOS

Referee

Oct 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

Every referee is SUPPOSE TO do an annual refresher. It comprises of a 12 minute run component, along with knowing Law 12 and the offside laws.

Half of the referees out there has not done a refresher and allowed to register. My understanding is that a referee cannot register if a refresher has not been taken.

I am pretty sure that the "unknowledgeable" referee problems are those that have not completed the annual refresher.

A referee is suppose to complete a fitness test every year. It consists of a 12 minute run with a minimum distance of 2,700 metres (6.75 laps), 2-200m sprints and 2-50m sprints.

The oldtimers are exempt from all of the sprints. Which does not make sense to me, because that seems to be grassroot of the problem.

Politics of soccer refereeing. BCSA is trying to revamp the program, we will see what happens next September when all Coastal referees re-register. Hope BCSA FORCES all referees to complete the refresher, because the younger referees like myself are sick and tired of getting a bad rap.

k-vale7

Sep 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guess what?... The ref this weekend was great! It's amazing how much better a game can be to play or to watch.

good job Roy.

:wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A referee is suppose to complete a fitness test every year. It consists of a 12 minute run with a minimum distance of 2,700 metres (6.75 laps), 2-200m sprints and 2-50m sprints

Thank God I only ref in the Richmond Summer League. Its' fitness test isn't quite as challenging:

It consists of a 10 second jog around the center circle, followed by a trip to the home team's cooler. After that strenous task, you must go back into the middle again and repeat the same thing, but this time you go to the visiting team's cooler. Easy stuff, really.

BTW, you've got to fcuking joking about 6.75 laps. I have not come across a ref this year that could even come close to that. Right, Walks? ;)

I assume the Assitant Refs go through the same training? :rolleyes:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0