Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Report and Reaction: Whitecaps anger at controversial ending but they only have themselves...

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lampard liking the turf that could be good for us and a possible new DP for the future.

upload_2015-9-27_22-17-7.png

upload_2015-9-27_22-18-41.png

Whitecaps DP players (3) make less than $3,000,000 together, Kaka and Giovinco are guaranteed over $7,000,000, Bradley is at $6,500,000, Altidore makes almost $5,000,000!!!

Altidore for almost $5,000,000 or Rivero for less than $1,000.000? . Rivero, of course!
Bradley for $6,500,000 or Laba for $325,000? . no question, Laba.
Govinco for over $7,000,000 or Morales for less than $1,500,000? Giovinco is out of this world but to pay him over $7,000,000!!!???

Giovinco aside (again, he is just an exceptional player) I think Whitecaps are much better off with their designated players and cost 6 times less (translated into millions - almost 16 million less!!!).

I think Whitecaps need to invest more money into a head coach. Robinson is simply not good enough.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
"I think Whitecaps need to invest more money into a head coach. Robinson is simply not good enough."

I hear Yallop is available again. Lots of accusations about how the front office missed that golden train. Maybe they can beg him to come here and get us back in last place.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RL, seriously, man…how was any coach supposed to fix the fact that the Caps out chanced NYC badly in the 2nd half, with too many sitters to count, and they could not score? The right players were on the pitch long enough to make a difference. Morales and Rivero are still nursing injuries, so would you have them come in early, when everyone is fresh, or late, when they can al least compete against tired legs?

I mean, what issue do you have with this match? RT didn’t play, so it can’t be that.

I question plenty of Robo’s decisions. But I can’t ignore the hard numbers: improvement in record over his tenure while lowering the average age. That, combined w/ finding some gems on the free market that other squads have missed, and I have to say, on the whole of it, he’s either overachieving right now, or maybe he’s got a plan and the plan is working.

Seriously….

As for the match, easily the most entertained I’ve been in a long, long time. It was unreal. Too bad it did not go the way we want, but anyone watching on TV that was sitting on the fence is now buying tickets. Atmosphere looked unreal.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
RL RCD,

Ok again you have no idea man. How is Robinson not good enough?

He has no massive "name" players. Has the most homegrown players in the league.
Has the youngest average age in the league. And was sitting first place up until a week ago?

He personally went out and scouted in South America and brought back Riveiro, Watson, The bug, and others. All on a massive budget. His team moral is high, guys get chances, he promotes the young guys and gives them many chances on the first team.

What is he doing wrong? (Maybe keeps giving Maddocks chances)
With the names and line up he has he is still 2 points out of first in the west with a game in hand. No Gerrards, Keane, Dempseys, Giovincos, Kaka, nothing.

His front 3 are all under 24 years old. His captain/ #1 playmaker has been injured for it feels like half the season. Kekutah is maybe 20 now. Honestly man, what else do you expect from the man?

You want to change coaches cause he is in 2nd place right now?

Maybe worry about who owns what spot in the local leagues and how clubs should own the spots and not the individuals who do all the work and finance it all.

My god are you lost on all of soccer?
Fcuk sakes

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude. You beat me to it. Or you just logged in under my name and wrote it up differently. Let's try to disagree some day.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Robinson is a young coach and has made some mistakes throughout the year but overall I like what he has done with the team and the direction he is taking them. I am looking forward to the changes in the off season and what the team will look like without Hurtado and Mattocks. Fully believe he is going to be looking for a natural goal scorer this off season.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
True about the wops. :D

Read the Province this morning that for the Caps to buy out Octavio, the asking price is ~$3M?

If that is true, then I am a bit at a loss. Somebody explain it to me, if the Cap's pay the fee, for how many years do they win his rights? Just the immediate following year, or are there multiple years there up for grabs?

I like him, and he's young. The fundamentals aren't lost on him, the work-rate is there, and the technical ability is there. I wish he had more of a natural finisher's touch, but as was pointed out in the same article, Camilo went something like 7, 4, then 22 in the three years prior to running for the border. To not have the technical skills and tactical awareness at his age (like Mattocks does not) is one thing, but he HAS those now...just the patience isn't there yet on the finishing. Can that be gained at this point? I'd like to think it can, as it isn't a matter of learning how to use your teammates, or not having the skills required to be in position to score, but a matter of perhaps having a bit more experience and age to know what to do in those spots.

Thoughts?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Octavio can't really be compared to Camino and will never score more than 12 to 14 goals on this team as he has no opportunities on dead ball situations.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think they can be compared at all, but people will purely on output.

How many did Camillo score that year from free kicks? There were a few, but was it more than 5?

Octavio does have his PK opportunities, so...

Personally, I feel Octavio is by far a more complete, and useful, player. Also one of those glue guys that makes the entire attack better, rather than a one dimensional guy w/ a good nose for the net.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lion, Dude

First of all, expressing my opinion (and obviously disagreeing with you) about Robinson does not deserve such harsh words from both of you (especially Lion). I am "lost on all of soccer"!? Really!?

Anyway, Robinson's constant yapping during the games probably annoys a lot of MLS refs. They are not good enough (MLS refs) or, at least, a lot of them are not good enough, yet Robinson's ridiculous yapping to the fourth official certainly gets on their nerves. The result: we always have a reason to question some ridiculous calls that officials make against Whitecaps.
The whole attitude change toward MLS refs has to start with Robinson otherwise the club will pay the price (those refs certainly pay attention what some coaches do on the sideline). Robinson literally questions every decision the head ref makes which is absolutely ridiculous.

I am quite sure that even one of you (or both) stated in the past how Robinson has been outcoached. In my opinion, he is very naïve. Is it because he is young? Maybe, I do not know. Let's wait play-offs and see what happens

How long did he need to realize that Hurtado is not MLS caliber player? What is so interesting about Mattocks? Why did he need Teibert to be away on MNT duties to realize how much Koffie is better player than RT? He is playing Mattocks (against NYC) for 60,70 minutes although it was clear after 20 minutes that he cannot do anything.

NYC defence looked rock solid against Whitecaps although NYC defence is really not that strong at all! And somehow that does not have anything with the coach!? Yeah, you are right, he was not playing so how can I even think about questioning Robinson? His job is to coach, not score goals!

Finally, I said: "I think Whitecaps need to invest more money into a head coach. Robinson is simply not good enough." So, he is not good enough (just my opinion); I did not say he that he was horrible.
On the other hand I can say (for the first time since MLS came to Vancouver) that the team is quite solid and that it can compete for MLS title in my opinion (or maybe I just say this because I am "lost on all of soccer").
Is the team good because of Robinson? He scouted, as you said, all those South American players so maybe that is his strong side (scouting).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, first of all, if you thought my comments were harsh and you didn’t deserve them, you need thicker skin, or you need to stay away from discussion board. And, not to defend Lion (he can do that himself), but if what I just said applies, then you certainly shouldn’t be subscribing to a site named “Takethepiss”.

OK, onto picking apart your post…

Yes, I have questioned his abilities as a tactical coach several times this season. I do think he’s naïve. I do often times think he’s being outcoached. I do think it’s because he’s both young and inexperienced. BUT, as he and anyone in the organization will point out: the numbers DON’T LIE.

Koffie was his own worse enemy early in the season. He was playing like shite, and, sorry, Tiebert was playing better. You have an unhealthy obsession towards RT (hint, that was a “Pisstake”, look it up), we all get that…but the reality was Koffie was playing well below the standard expected of him, the job was handed to Tiebert, and he did well with the opportunity.

Is Koffie better? I think so, and I think most WCFC followers think so, including the coach…but what do you do when a professional player is playing well below the standard expected? Results rule, so you sit him and put in the better option. Thank FCUK RT went away for National duty, it forced Koffie to sort his shite out.

Hurtado: too long. I agree with you. Maybe they were trying to get an asset back, and obviously, in the end, the best they could to was loan him out to Nevernever Land. But again, the RESULTS don’t lie.

Mattocks: agree. But I will say this…if Octavio is injured, who is a better option on the existing roster? Maybe, MAYBE Ferose, but I’m not convinced. Maybe Manneh, but he’s blossomed into his role out wide. Earnshaw is not, IMHO, currently at the level to play a lone striker role. Maybe 5 years back he’s have the pace and recovery he’d need to play that role, but as a lone striker he’s dead meat. He is very useful in going 2 up, because now he can allow someone else to do the heavy lifting while he does what he does best: poach. The only usefull thing Mattocks can do, when he’s good, is tired out a back line. If Octavio is injured (and we’re told he’s nursing something), then it’s either start him, or bring him in late against a tired backline. Fcuking hell, RL RCD, if Octavio and the rest of them had any ounce of finish on Saturday, you’d literally have NOTHING to moan about!

The MANAGER is the man tasked to build the squad, to make the decisions. That includes directing the scouting, that includes directing recruiting efforts, that includes being involved in negotiating, that includes formations, overseeing training, overseeing the USL team, and keeping tabs on the youth players coming up through the system. That includes decision on the field, and sorry, I wouldn’t have it any other way. This isn’t hockey, with segregated roles, this is football, with one BOSS, and the rest under him. He can’t very well be the boss everywhere else but on the sidelines.

So, yes…I feel your statement has no merit, given when you made it. Maybe had you made it earlier this season, I’d have been less sceptical, but bloody hell, a team is judged on it’s points, at the end of the day. He’s getting the points, and doing it with a bargain at the front office, and with a very young, athletic squad. I’d have to say, all else being equal, I’m happy, and yes, your statement is a bit ridiculous.

Who knows, after another 5 matches, that may change again.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reporter: So Darren, what happened against New York seems to be happening a lot this season with you missing various chances and squandering the simplest of opportunities. Why do you think this is happening?

Darren:
d6f.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0