Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Serie A

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was watching the Udinese Roma game this morning (the only HD Sunday soccer on Shaw...) and was wondering about the lack of fans seated close to the field. What's the deal? It makes the game look like a CSA special. There seemed to be a lot of empty seats higher up as well.

Anyways, anybody know what the deal is? Is it just where people prefer to sit? Rampant racial slur concerns? A ruling against the home team for corruption?

Thanks, Peter

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, Peter.......their 'average' game has brutal attendance........lots of empty seats everywhere. The derby matches are generally sellouts......I was wondering how they can afford to play their players but then forgot about the mafia..........and advertising. :D

Terrible football though.........now Barcelona yesterday.....football at its best. What a team.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter,

What is the issue is that across Italy many are struggling to make ends meet and take care of their own. To fork out money to see second rate teams just doesn't make sense. As Cappy said, age-old rivalries and derbies draw the masses out but Udinese is not a big draw and has won very little silverware in their history. Imagine the buzz that a Canucks-Blue Jackets game generates and you get the idea.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks guys...I've never watched much Serie A and have thought that the ball I've seen the last couple of weeks wasn't bad. But the attendance thing was a bit baffling to me in that it's supposed to be one of the top 3 leagues (or so I've been led to believe).

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aother factor is that the stadia are outdated. Most still have tracks surrounding the parks or the tracks are covered with turf. Still, it makes for a crap atmosphere.... except for the Franchi in Firenze, where the tifosi support their squad even if the season has been shite to date ;).

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having said that, the Serie A is better than the weekly shite the EPL is dealing out. Spanish league is top drawer in terms of entertaining football.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Bundesliga is my favorite overall league. Anyone (truly) can win on any given day, the teams spend their cash wisely, none of the clubs are in massive monster debt, and the games are truly fun to watch

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
In terms of quality football

1. Spain: La Liga
2. England: Premiership
3. Germany: Bundesliga
4. France: Ligue 1
5. Italy: Serie A
6. United States: Major League Soccer
7. Dutch: Eredivisie
8. Japan: J-League
9. Australia: A-League
10. Mexico: Primera Division
11. VMSL Premier
12. Fraser Valley Premier
13. Scottish Premier League :bronco::bronco::bronco:

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
He incidentally is the leading scorer among Serie A players across all competitions and NOT Italian. Perhaps this headbutt gene is something that afflicts genius-level players?

:wa:

Speaking of quality, good to see the Eredivisie still focuses on the fundamentals like defense and goalkeeping...

Last edited by a moderator:

elbowroom

Oct 26, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll have to agree, watching Catania beat Inter on the weekend was and excellent game. The Italians play tight knit and force their opponents to counter attack. Besides watching them flop around like fish is pretty comical in itself:D

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The EPL is certainly fostering some great local talent. Unfortunately, he won't be around for the first round of euros :cry-loudly:.

Forza Fiorentina.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was watching the Udinese Roma game this morning (the only HD Sunday soccer on Shaw...) and was wondering about the lack of fans seated close to the field. What's the deal? It makes the game look like a CSA special. There seemed to be a lot of empty seats higher up as well.

Anyways, anybody know what the deal is? Is it just where people prefer to sit? Rampant racial slur concerns? A ruling against the home team for corruption?

Thanks, Peter

One other reason why stadiums are at times half empty is that fans buy local cable rights to see all games of their favorite teams and therefor forgo going to stadiums that generally are far away from the field and crap atmosphere while paying a high price for tickets to see games that they've already paid for on cable.

Add in the poor economy and...

Chelsea4life

Jan 27, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lazio FTW over ACMilan.... And Inter's Milito scores 4 goals against the boys in Pink!!!!! Good day for Italian Futbol!!!! If AC Milan want to carry on in Champions league and win Italy, they are going to have to do much much better... I think they go off against Arsenal for Champions League.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0