Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sharing the Road

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oops. If u want to share the road then register like a car and get a licesnce plate. Accoountbilty is needed for most of the bike riders. They share the road but not the same rules is reflected I their attitude

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oops. If u want to share the road then register like a car and get a licesnce plate.
Everybody(drivers, cyclists, pedestrians) have the right to use the road, not just motorists. It's a privilege to use a car, hence the need for a license. You have a right to walk and ride a bike and it's ridiculous to suggest that cyclists should be licensed.

Accoountbilty is needed for most of the bike riders. They share the road but not the same rules is reflected I their attitude
Accountability is needed for all road users, I'd suggest that most drivers don't follow the rules of the road on a daily basis. ie. driving above the speed limit.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ever tried to give the friendly double honk to a cyclist to let them know you're there as they weave all over the road in front of you? Too often you get the finger or a challenge to a fight.

Approached and stopped at a 4-way stop the other day near my house. No other cars or bikes were there. I went and turned left and as I was mid-turn and in the intersection a cyclist blasted in from my left, jammed on his brakes, and started screaming at me that there's a stop sign! Classic.

I'm a cyclist and a driver. I do my part when I'm riding to not put myself in positions where I lose to a car...because that's what happens whether you're right or wrong. I also do my part to not be an absolute asshole when I'm riding. Too many cyclists SUCK at this part and create animosity on the road. Drivers aren't angels but there's something about cyclists that really just suck. Sort it out.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sliver, I could be seriously injured (actually almost was last week) by a cyclist who is riding dangerously.

The cyclists do not use Fuel, and thus don't contribute nearly as much cash to the capital raised to fund gregor's miles of greeway and bike ways and bike lanes.

If I'm run over or smashed into by a speeding cyclist, he takes off and I can't get a license plate, who do I sue?

further to that- it's not the exception...it's the rule that MOST cyclists are indeed on and off of sidewalks, in and out of traffic, driving between lanes and running red lights. I see it daily down here in the Financial District at the merge points of the sea of bike lanes.

I'd like very much for cyclists to have to be licensed for cycling on roads...I'm not talking about the family who motor over to Barnston Island on Saturday or the people who ride the seawall on a Sunday. I'm talking about the daily commuters, downtown couriers etc.... The stressed out, entitled aggressive crowd who think the laws of the road do not apply to them because they don't have an icbc plate on their "vehicle"

Last edited:

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Everybody(drivers, cyclists, pedestrians) have the right to use the road, not just motorists. It's a privilege to use a car, hence the need for a license. You have a right to walk and ride a bike and it's ridiculous to suggest that cyclists should be licensed.

Accountability is needed for all road users, I'd suggest that most drivers don't follow the rules of the road on a daily basis. ie. driving above the speed limit.

You say "it's ridiculous to suggest that cyclists should be licensed."

Then you say "Accountability is needed for all road users"

Unless u have a better idea, being licensed is the only logical solution.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Further to that (assuming most of the cyclists we're talking about aren't riding $89.99 walmart specials) these Bikes being serialized and registered would go a long LONG way to stop all of the thefts of bicycles in Vancouver proper. It's diabolical the amount of time and resources that are spent chasing down stolen bicycles.

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The chances of people being seriously injured by bikers is very slim. How many people are seriously injured by cyclists, how many people are injured or killed by drivers not paying attention or following the rules of the road?
All road users need to chill out and be more respectful to each other. Yes there are dickhead cyclists as well as there are dickhead drivers.

There needs to be safer roads/infrastructure for all road users to travel around on. That means more separated bike lanes and even reducing speed limits in urban areas.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's never going to be perfect but Vancouver has a ton of 'bike routes' and I think if that option is available for cyclists then they should use it. Point Grey Rd is a joke. West 3rd Ave, just 3 blocks south, is a bike route but cyclists don't use it because it's slower. So instead they stay on PG Road and hang up the works and put their lives in danger.

If there was a way to educate/enforce cyclists to use them when possible then that would help. Don't ride on W Broadway when W 10th is a block away and is a bike route....and so is W 8th. Take W 3rd and not PG Road etc etc.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bandcamp is right. Hornby has a bike lane running North/South, but people weave in and out of traffic one block west on Burrard instead, then go torquing through the intersection at Hastings full speed ahead regardless of other bikes and cars going through the intersection. I see loads of Bikes on Davie and on Nelson, Dunsmuir has separated bike lanes...

Oh, and heavens forbid you as a pedestrian walk through a bike lane to access a storefront or near the convention centre.. you'll get cussed out for "almost making me do an endo dude!"

Sliver- I was standing waiting for the green light to walk across Hornby on Hastings on Friday to get back to my office, Cyclist assumed the Bike Green Light was going to go instead of actually waiting for it and was doing about 40km/hr and blew the light and missed me by maybe 6 inches when I started crossing on MY Green, HIS red... 200lbs dude with a backback loaded with couriered documents travelling at 40km/hr hits me 200+ lbs dude with hot coffee, and there's not a serious potential for an injury (serious or otherwise) give.me.strength.

elbowroom

Oct 26, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN,

I took my 8yr old daughter riding around Port Moody and taught her not to trust idiots in vehicles or pedestrians on sidewalks. Next week I'll show her how to elbow idiots driving battery powered mopeds.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0