Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shaw or Telus?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently with Telus for Optik and Internet. Got offered a free year by Shaw and was wondering if it's worth the switch? What do you guys use?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm about to switch over to Telus from Shaw.
Shaw has done nothing for me since we setup with them except raise their rates. Seems about every 6 months it goes up.

Heading to telus for the few months of saving and free TV. We don't really need a bunch of bells and whistles so whomever is going to save me money wins.
As long as I can PVR and TTP with internet im good.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do like our Optik. However with the amount we watch TV its hard to justify $133 + tax per month. Figure switch to Shaw for the free year (perks of buying a new townhouse) I can get my sports and then hope they have a good box or something to watch live sports on. Waiting to hear back from the franchise on the perks of the Kodi box.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
what shaw system are you going with that they are offering for free?
Sounds fishy
watch out for 3 year term in fine print and a hefty cancellation fee

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll have to check when I get home on the exact package, most likely basic internet and basic cable essentials. There is a promotion through our complex because we bought it brand new, where you can get Telus or Shaw free for a year, basic internet and cable. We upgraded internet and channels so we pay around $52 per month with the option to cancel after a year when the trial is up. Shaw is offering the same for us to switch because the complex hasn't been finished yet.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Free is always good but some times to good. I do the Shaw gateway. I know the optik system from telus and my opinion is gateway is far superior interm of speed ect... Telus has its perks like free hardware and I believe they have some 4k Content Now where shaw does not.

To sum it up.
Shaw = Trump
Telus = Clinton
Not matter which one you choose your bound to get fcuked somewhere down the line

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was pretty good at playing them against each other... Think I had mid grade internet (no issues streaming) their basic + 5 packages (because I had to if I wanted sports, and AMC) all in was $82 a month (1 HD PVR). It was 6 months no contract, so I just set a reminder to give them a call before my term was up, and offer to renew or walk.

Shaw actually called me a month prior offering a deal that beat it (6 month term no contract) so I called them on it and they came and installed... I realized it did not have include a PVR, so I called in and they refused to do anything about it unless I paid an extra $10 per month. Told them to get lost, talked to 2 different people on a Saturday) and stuck with Telus. Shaw called me back on Tuesday, apologized, offered 3 months free (on 6 months no contract) and the free HD rental to get me to resign, but I re-upped with Telus already, and told them I couldn't handle their customer service.

So there are solid deals out there if you're willing to work for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0