Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I put my son in the HPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelie

Nov 3, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi there,

This is my first post so please bear with me. I have an 11 year old boy who plays up an age group for a U13 metro team. He is doing very well so far this year (16 goals in 11 Metro games). My question is, should I put him the HPL? He is an elite player and would make an HPL team as an underage player like he is now. His aspirations are to one day become a pro (and yes it his dream and not mine). I do understand that kids can develop at different stages than other kids, but he is not a large physical specimen but an average kid who has great skill and who keeps getting better.

Would the HPL and the added cost suit him better or shoud I just keep him in Metro next year?

Thanks for your input in advance,

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know nothing about HPL and how it works. However I am familiar with soccer schools. Im not sure if the school is still running because he has passed but if it is, I suggest Roman Tulis . His players get solid training sessions a few times a week, and usually once a year they go to Europe for a tournament. This is all out of the players or parents pockets of course. Im not sure what the costs are for the school but lots of local players have had chances to be seen by bigger scouts and squads that they normally do here,and some players have been offered contracts over seas. I myself got the opportunity to play against teams like Benfica, Sporting Lisboa and played infront of Belgium Scouts, I may not have made the bigs, but for a 14 year old (at the time) its a pretty awesome experience and something ill never forgot. If you haven't looked into it, I strongly suggest it, especially if your son has the talent is only getting better. Cheers Cascade.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is the HPL that vaccine that will allow your son to have unprotected sex without fear of getting the wart virus? If so, definitely go for it.

steelie

Nov 3, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know nothing about HPL and how it works. However I am familiar with soccer schools. Im not sure if the school is still running because he has passed but if it is, I suggest Roman Tulis . His players get solid training sessions a few times a week, and usually once a year they go to Europe for a tournament. This is all out of the players or parents pockets of course. Im not sure what the costs are for the school but lots of local players have had chances to be seen by bigger scouts and squads that they normally do here,and some players have been offered contracts over seas. I myself got the opportunity to play against teams like Benfica, Sporting Lisboa and played infront of Belgium Scouts, I may not have made the bigs, but for a 14 year old (at the time) its a pretty awesome experience and something ill never forgot. If you haven't looked into it, I strongly suggest it, especially if your son has the talent is only getting better. Cheers Cascade.

Thanks Cascade! I will look into it. He is going to England in the spring for a camp over there. I am trying to justify the cost involved with the HPL.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at who the coaches are for the u13 leagues in 2012.....I am not sure the age classifications BUT, the 2013 u13 groups will likely be having some tryouts in spring 2012, provide then a summer program and enter into the 7 game mini-season in September 2012 before the league-proper in 2013.

Look who the coaches are, attend a few tryouts, see and hear first hand. I wouldn't go by what anyone says on a message board. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the clubs you are interested in and speak with the TD's via email or phone about who the coach will be, and what the program will be like. For the cost involved it is incumbent upon you to seek the opportunity that matches your sons' plans - since his plans are pro you might want to look at which clubs have the best relationship with Whitecaps (??) and/or oversea's opportunities (trips, scouts etc....). Ask the various TD's what links they have to universities as well???

That being said, although your son likely has very good skill, (his numbers are impressive!) metro is now tier 2 and some (some!) of the opposition really won't be of sufficient standard to continue his development at current rate. This may also include the coaches (I have no clue who your sons' coach is) and teammates....

steelie

Nov 3, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at who the coaches are for the u13 leagues in 2012.....I am not sure the age classifications BUT, the 2013 u13 groups will likely be having some tryouts in spring 2012, provide then a summer program and enter into the 7 game mini-season in September 2012 before the league-proper in 2013.

Look who the coaches are, attend a few tryouts, see and hear first hand. I wouldn't go by what anyone says on a message board. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the clubs you are interested in and speak with the TD's via email or phone about who the coach will be, and what the program will be like. For the cost involved it is incumbent upon you to seek the opportunity that matches your sons' plans - since his plans are pro you might want to look at which clubs have the best relationship with Whitecaps (??) and/or oversea's opportunities (trips, scouts etc....). Ask the various TD's what links they have to universities as well???

That being said, although your son likely has very good skill, (his numbers are impressive!) metro is now tier 2 and some (some!) of the opposition really won't be of sufficient standard to continue his development at current rate. This may also include the coaches (I have no clue who your sons' coach is) and teammates....[/Q

Thanks BM, I am trying to decide soon on which route to go with him. He needs to be challenged to get better. I just do not know if all of the best players are in the HPL or would it be 50-50 HPL- Metro because of the cost of the HPL. What are your experiences with it?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
There will always be good players in tier 2, no matter the league. But look at it this way - how many SYL or BC PTP/NTC players are in metro this year compared to HPL? While not a strict measuring stick, it's a pretty good one. I don't know all the coaches (or players) but I suspect the 8 HPL coaches in your sons' age group will generally be better than what he'd get at metro - but, of course there will always be exceptions.

Personally, I'd take the relative risk at the u13 age group to play HPL and see if it satisfies your sons' needs than play metro (at a cheaper cost of course) at u13 and take on the relative risk of stunted development which could keep him out of HPL in the future should you want to go that way.

Also, HPL players can move up age groups with ease. All it requires is being registered in the league. Your son could move up to u14 etc as needed/requested by the u14 coach. No permits, no advanced notice etc....obviously a good u14 coach isn't going to have your kid play a full game after playing a full u13 game....

I can't say I speak from vast experience! Though I do have some knowledge of a couple age groups from which to take samples. But I'd fairly confidently state talent is NOT divided 50-50 b/w the leagues.....though for me the tipping of the scales would come from HPL being in "A" cup, having Whitecaps college scouting tournament at u15+, Whitecaps and BCPTP scouting at some games, and also exhibition games against Whitecaps youth....metro teams will likely work harder to close that gap in attracting players but it'll be tough......

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good advice from bettermirror. Go watch some games, go to the tryouts, look at the potential team mates, learn about the coaches, etc. Talk to some HPL parents and players. Make your decision based on your evaluation.

The debate over whether HPL should exist or not is done for now - it's here. It's the top tier and for the boys most top players attend tryouts and most that make a HPL team, take the spot. It's not cheap, but for those boys that were playing metro and SYL, the cost is the same or less than before. HPL is not soccer's panacea by any means, but it's what we have for now.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steelie, send him to the SDSS Soccer Academy and I will look after him. Make sure you move out to Tsawwassen so he is going to be eligible for the school team. We have struggled with goal scoring the last few years and it is nice to know that your son has potential to put the ball in the net. Send me a PM if this is something that might interest you.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi there,

This is my first post so please bear with me. I have an 11 year old boy who plays up an age group for a U13 metro team. He is doing very well so far this year (16 goals in 11 Metro games). My question is, should I put him the HPL? He is an elite player and would make an HPL team as an underage player like he is now. His aspirations are to one day become a pro (and yes it his dream and not mine). I do understand that kids can develop at different stages than other kids, but he is not a large physical specimen but an average kid who has great skill and who keeps getting better.

Would the HPL and the added cost suit him better or shoud I just keep him in Metro next year?

Thanks for your input in advance,

First of all, how is your boy compared to other players at current U-13 metro league? Do you think he is the best out there? Scoring 16 goals in 11 games and being a year younger is really impressive but, believe me, it is not everything. At age of 11 some boys dominate but at age of 14, 15 the other players catch up and there is really no big difference, if any at all, after that (I know personally a lot of players who dominated while 10 or 11 and now at age of 15, 18, or 20 they are just solid players, not a single one made it pro, some went to Europe for a try out, some even played there for a year or so but, bottom line, not a single one made it big in Europe).

HPL is a new league and no one can tell you whether the cost is justified or not. I personally would not want to pay that amount of money. For me, I may not be right, HPL is nothing but a money grab.

You mentioned your son is going to England to attend a camp and that is the best way you could take at this moment but it better be a good camp. There are a lot of camps in Europe., not all of them are good.

If your kid is really that talented and good, tape his games, prepare DVD with highlights, send it to numerous big clubs in Europe - you never know what could happen. An invite for a try out could arrive.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most of RCD's post is spot-on in my opinion....especially the DVD bit....don't agree with the money-grab bit. Yes, HPL is the top league and most of the top boys will be in it. Yes, it's comparable financially for any player who played SYL & Metro.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree 100% w/ the costs of HPL being out the window and a major hindrance to the overall goal of identifying and developing the very best players. This is a PERFECT example of a player that may not play HPL for financial reasons alone. Is he the best of his age group? Who knows...the only true way to find out is to have him play against the best of his peers, and then evaluate. In this case, it may never happen, and it is 100% due to the costs being out of sight.

Until the HPL finds a way to subsidize these costs to nearly 100%, the model will never truly work as intended.

That being said- you should find a way to have your kid in the HPL. Get him to try-outs, and if he's deemed good enough, then bring up your financial restraints w/ the club. Put BM's theory to the test that no player of the HPL caliber will be refused due to financial barriers.

Sorry BM- I am putting words in your mouth, and those are not your exact words, but you've been mentioning something to this nature, that in your club they'd find a way, or something to that extent.

Anyhow, moving right along...Captain, can I play in the SDSS? I think I may have a few good years left. The dream still smolders, deep down. If anyone can make the impossible happen, it is you, Sir.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
;) No worries. I've just never heard of any club turning away a player for financial reasons....have you? I've heard of people not going due to prohibitive costs, but I've not heard of clubs actually saying "no pay no play...." unless they are well aware the family can afford it, I suppose.......???

I agree - HPL should be free (as should elite volley ball, hockey, baseball, golf......)......#perfectworld

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most of RCD's post is spot-on in my opinion....especially the DVD bit....don't agree with the money-grab bit. Yes, HPL is the top league and most of the top boys will be in it. Yes, it's comparable financially for any player who played SYL & Metro.

bettermirror,

It looks that most clubs will charge around $2,500 for a full HPL season (at the beginning). Super-Y season cost between $1,500 and $2,000 (3-month season during the summer) while trip to Florida was approximately the same amount as the season (so the cost for a team that would qualify for Super-Y finals in Tampa was approximately $4,000).

Metro/Select season cost at most $300 (Surrey United, Metro Ford, Burnaby Selects, most of the youth clubs) with the exception of a few clubs that hired "professional" coaches and then charged up to $1,800 per season (Vancouver Selects, North Shore). The fact is that such high cost by those clubs with the "pros" was not justified, on the contrary, other clubs were more successful.

The fact is that Metro/Select league was always limited to 3 out of district players while those district boundaries do not exist anymore for HPL. A lot of smart soccer people in BC wanted to get rid of that out of district rule for years but they were not able to do it.
When somebody suddenly changes that rule for HPL and, at the same time, decides to form a "new" league that costs a lot more (now even those clubs that did not charge a lot for Metro /Select league, charge HPL high fees) I cannot say that is anything else but a money grab. The time will tell, I am quite convinced I am right. The same coaches, the same clubs, but higher fees!? Come on!

The most ridiculous cost was/is for BC Provincial program. It cost(s) more than Super-Y league (including the trip to Florida).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
;) No worries. I've just never heard of any club turning away a player for financial reasons....have you? I've heard of people not going due to prohibitive costs, but I've not heard of clubs actually saying "no pay no play...." unless they are well aware the family can afford it, I suppose.......???

I agree - HPL should be free (as should elite volley ball, hockey, baseball, golf......)......#perfectworld

Valid point, however, the HPL alone needs to be subsidized. As pointed out, the other direct costs involved (travel, etc.) are borne by the parents.

The cumminity needs to demand better of BCSA, and quite honestly, maybe it is time a bunch of us collaberated, got together w/ common interestes, went to the AGM, formed a voting blocked, and CHANGED the system? Force their hand to subsidize those player costs. The revenue is there to do it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW...I have indeed heard of players not playing at the highest level due to financial restraqints. Did they bring the concern to the club? No.

I'd love to see your theory put to the test. steelie- if financial issues are indeed the major stumbling block, I highly encourage you to get your kid a trial. If he's selected, take the issue to the club, and let us know how it goes. You'll need to prepare a case, and likely show your T4s, familly expenses, etc., but if this is truly a reason, I hope you pursue it, and I hope the club would support your case.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW...I have indeed heard of players not playing at the highest level due to financial restraqints. Did they bring the concern to the club? No.

I'd love to see your theory put to the test. steelie- if financial issues are indeed the major stumbling block, I highly encourage you to get your kid a trial. If he's selected, take the issue to the club, and let us know how it goes. You'll need to prepare a case, and likely show your T4s, familly expenses, etc., but if this is truly a reason, I hope you pursue it, and I hope the club would support your case.

Dude,

I do not think steelie has an issue with money and he (or she) just wanted to check if HPL is worth paying more than currently metro/select clubs charge. As I mentioned, I would not pay more for HPL but that is me.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm speculating, but you are correct. In any event, this is a great example of the major flaw in the HPL system, and how it will indeed hinder truly having the best players. In this case, it is a financial decision either way.

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm speculating, but you are correct. In any event, this is a great example of the major flaw in the HPL system, and how it will indeed hinder truly having the best players. In this case, it is a financial decision either way.

If your kid was an elite hockey player....how much would you pay in Cloverdale ( Pee Wee ) for ALL the ice, coaching, power skating, treadmill and tourneys etc?

HPL is in year one. Youth soccer with 8 franchises in BC, Whitecaps system above us and for the most part better coaching can only get better. The real test is not now and not next year it is 3, 4 and 5 years when all the current crop of U8 to U12 players are playing HPL some Whitecaps and the SYSTEM is working to make soccer a real choice for parent's and players. MONEY will be an afterthought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0