Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I put my son in the HPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just want to chime in here...for all the talk about costs and developing soccer in the "province"... consider that at least you all have ACCESS to different opportunities. You guys are fortunate. Here in the Kootenays we are 500+ km away from the nearest HPL team. There are not options like attending soccer academies or going to after school camps or choosing to play Metro instead.

For players in the Kootenays district (and the North district) the only way to get better training / better competition is to send your young athlete away. Now we are not worrying about a $2,000 registration fee we are talking about kids moving away from home and/or getting a second apartment and all the costs associated with that.

In my opinion before we talk about lobbying BC Soccer to subsidize the HPL we need to be lobbying BC Soccer to better develop coaches and players in the rest of the province (ie not just the lower mainland).

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would imagine if the Kootenays Soccer Associations (what are they named?) got together a group of coaches who could develop a business model/plan and presented it to BCSA re: coach-development then you might get somewhere. But they'd also have to be able to say "we will be serving XXXXXX players for XXXXXX years etc...." but otherwise you won't get anything from BCSA....same as anyone looking for scholarships, bursaries, and research projects. Even then you might get denied.....

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at who the coaches are for the u13 leagues in 2012.....I am not sure the age classifications BUT, the 2013 u13 groups will likely be having some tryouts in spring 2012, provide then a summer program and enter into the 7 game mini-season in September 2012 before the league-proper in 2013.

Look who the coaches are, attend a few tryouts, see and hear first hand. I wouldn't go by what anyone says on a message board. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the clubs you are interested in and speak with the TD's via email or phone about who the coach will be, and what the program will be like. For the cost involved it is incumbent upon you to seek the opportunity that matches your sons' plans - since his plans are pro you might want to look at which clubs have the best relationship with Whitecaps (??) and/or oversea's opportunities (trips, scouts etc....). Ask the various TD's what links they have to universities as well???

That being said, although your son likely has very good skill, (his numbers are impressive!) metro is now tier 2 and some (some!) of the opposition really won't be of sufficient standard to continue his development at current rate. This may also include the coaches (I have no clue who your sons' coach is) and teammates....[/Q

Thanks BM, I am trying to decide soon on which route to go with him. He needs to be challenged to get better. I just do not know if all of the best players are in the HPL or would it be 50-50 HPL- Metro because of the cost of the HPL. What are your experiences with it?

The banter has taken on a life of it own ( as it usually does ) following your initial questions Steelie but to throw my 2 cents in, if your boy is having too easy of a time in Metro and really does need more of a challenge, the idea of "HPL" ( BCSPL ) is of course to get as many players of like ability together as possible.

Are ALL of the premier players playing in BCSPL? No, there are of course some at Metro however in my experience it's not 50-50 as you asked above. BCSPL is carrying the bulk of the higher level players ( generally speaking ).

So as the commentary here as ventured into everything from cost to paid coaches etc etc etc....to answer your question, if he needs to be challenged further, yes, step "up".

BTW, if you haven't yet looked into the extra curricular training like Roman T or TSS, that might be a good place to start. There he will likely learn things that his club coaches can't provide. ( no knock on them but it's a time factor, coach to player ratio, etc etc )

Striking that balance of having the boy play against older kids and still perform well but perhaps drawing the line at the level where he takes a physical beating, is no longer able to play "his game" and his confidence takes a hit...?

Good luck.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The banter has taken on a life of it own ( as it usually does ) following your initial questions Steelie but to throw my 2 cents in, if your boy is having too easy of a time in Metro and really does need more of a challenge, the idea of "HPL" ( BCSPL ) is of course to get as many players of like ability together as possible.

Are ALL of the premier players playing in BCSPL? No, there are of course some at Metro however in my experience it's not 50-50 as you asked above. BCSPL is carrying the bulk of the higher level players ( generally speaking ).

So as the commentary here as ventured into everything from cost to paid coaches etc etc etc....to answer your question, if he needs to be challenged further, yes, step "up".

BTW, if you haven't yet looked into the extra curricular training like Roman T or TSS, that might be a good place to start. There he will likely learn things that his club coaches can't provide. ( no knock on them but it's a time factor, coach to player ratio, etc etc )

Striking that balance of having the boy play against older kids and still perform well but perhaps drawing the line at the level where he takes a physical beating, is no longer able to play "his game" and his confidence takes a hit...?

Good luck.

Too add: Dont be in a rush Steelie- the best players at U12 are rarely the best players at U18. Its a steep climb up a slippery slope. Llet him play and enjoy himself.

A

AMA

Hi there,

This is my first post so please bear with me. I have an 11 year old boy who plays up an age group for a U13 metro team. He is doing very well so far this year (16 goals in 11 Metro games). My question is, should I put him the HPL? He is an elite player and would make an HPL team as an underage player like he is now. His aspirations are to one day become a pro (and yes it his dream and not mine). I do understand that kids can develop at different stages than other kids, but he is not a large physical specimen but an average kid who has great skill and who keeps getting better.

Would the HPL and the added cost suit him better or shoud I just keep him in Metro next year?

Thanks for your input in advance,

You have a good chance now to get a spot on a BCSPL franchise now as but bear in mind :
BCSPL Pros/Cons/Other Sports

The BCSPL is good for the ones who can afford the huge fees and it may help the kids soccer development as well if they end up with a decent coach and hopefully all the BCSPL coach,s are decent .

Word is the players are not allowed to play for any other teams like school teams etc and also that they are not allowed to play any other sports . Is this true ? I know some kids excell at different sports like Basketball, Athletics, Baseball , Hockey etc and they should be allowed to participate in those sports.

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have a good chance now to get a spot on a BCSPL franchise now as but bear in mind :
BCSPL Pros/Cons/Other Sports

The BCSPL is good for the ones who can afford the huge fees and it may help the kids soccer development as well if they end up with a decent coach and hopefully all the BCSPL coach,s are decent .

Word is the players are not allowed to play for any other teams like school teams etc and also that they are not allowed to play any other sports . Is this true ? I know some kids excell at different sports like Basketball, Athletics, Baseball , Hockey etc and they should be allowed to participate in those sports.

Word is you speculate a lot. Seriously? What's your angle?

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Word is you speculate a lot. Seriously? What's your angle?

Yes AMA..."word is" you're incorrect. I know of several players ( on separate soccer clubs ) including my own kid who play ball at a high level ( all through the summer plus indoor training even now ) and their soccer coaches know about it and are okay with it as long as there is good communication regarding missing a practice here and there.

And would you get over the "huge fees" please? Yes I wish it was free and we all know it's expensive but, as it's been discussed on here to death already, if your kid is / was training with a private academy as well as their old club team, plus playing the old reg fees, plus traveling for at least two out of town trips with transportation, food and hotel provided....your fees would basically be in line with what your seeing with BCSPL.

If a qualified player cannot afford this, I do believe every club has the means to accommodate and assist with these costs if necessary. If your kid really wants to play there, is good enough but you cannot afford it. Ask for an evaluation ans also to speak to the TD about $.
When we see a talented player get turned away with no offer of a$$istance, then let's debate it here.

Re making sure the coach is qualified, yes, this is of course important as it always was but even more when your paying out $, agreed.

Sep 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes AMA..."word is" you're incorrect. I know of several players ( on separate soccer clubs ) including my own kid who play ball at a high level ( all through the summer plus indoor training even now ) and their soccer coaches know about it and are okay with it as long as there is good communication regarding missing a practice here and there.

I agree. Have been told the same by our BCSPL coach.

And would you get over the "huge fees" please? Yes I wish it was free and we all know it's expensive but, as it's been discussed on here to death already, if your kid is / was training with a private academy as well as their old club team, plus playing the old reg fees, plus traveling for at least two out of town trips with transportation, food and hotel provided....your fees would basically be in line with what your seeing with BCSPL.

I agree with this as well. There is a modest premium over our total expenditures for prior years in Metro + TSS but on the other hand the calibre of play is definitely higher than than this years' Tier 2. I do miss those indoor practices in the dome however.

steelie

Nov 3, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well boys, I am on the fence here with if I should put my boy in the HPL in Abby. We are going to England in April, it is official. Heanjob, my boy was sick in the game he played against you last weekend. He had some good opps but did not finsish. he did set upt the first goal though. Strep throat and on anti's. Great game though. You coach a good squad, you can tell because of the quality of play.

Thanks to everyone who put in their 2 cents.

I guess we will focus on the England trip. My son is in the process for the Whitecaps prospects team, so we will see what happens there.

Cheers lads!

Steelie....

Osame bin madden

Feb 2, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As usual there are many good points in this thread.I will admit that I dont know all the facts, still learning. From someone who has coached at the metro level (boys & girls), now coaching at the u-12 select level I can weigh in (call it a educated guess) as a coach/parent. Im still on the fence with HPL, the one thing that everyone should ask is why? was the metro league not providing something? Were players hinder by playing metro?Im not sure? . Personally I dont think so, the bigger problem is B.C Soccer, their provincial program might be a place to start (my older daughter has played with bc soccer) . I've heard that one reason to form was to put the hpl season (march to October) on par with the rest of Canada, Ive heard that our provincial teams dont do that well in provincial competition for that reason, personally I dont buy it, the provincial program, the Y-league , whitecaps prospects and other venues for players to keep playing this should not affect players "rustiness". These days, Elite players are playing year round, at least the ones that have chosen soccer over playing other sports. Playing through the summer is another issue , players are forced to quit other sports at a early age.
My daughter played with the whitecaps program and the Y league. The whitecaps cost was $2500, (the coaching was very good, all expenses were paid too tournaments, including the big tournament in San Diego, travel, food, etc was all covered) they have a non-profit organization that the cheques were made too, and you could claim it on your taxes. The y league, $1500+, if they make florida the cost can be north of $2500, in my opinion the cost was a bit of a rip off, huge cost for a very short season and from our experience the coaching was not any better than your metro league.
Im not sure why the HPL has a cost of $2500 - 3000? Why such a cost? Travel? The Hpl clubs should not make any money from teams. are they providing coaching that is so far superior than metro? maybe they are. Its too early too tell. In my opinion u-13/u-14 is a bit early for parents to fork out so much money. Do Hpl teams need $ 37000-$45000 operating costs? Some parents think its a money grab for the clubs, Its hard to argue..
Maybe the league should have concentrate on older kids, providing them (older years) with the opportunity.
As parents we want the best for our kids, we all do, and at times there is pressure (usually soccer circles) for our kids to play at the highest level available, I understand that and agree that they should, but when?. Steelie mentions Her /his kids success at the metro level, thats great. Ive had this discussion with some parents that have kids playing up, my opinion ,if your kid is so good that he/she dominates the league, I mean dominates, they should play up, they should still be one of the best players when playing up. If they are not, they are just a average player, why would you take your kid up? let them have the ball at their feet (at their age), being creative, scoring, will make him a better player, they gain confidence with the ball at their feet and learn things (with confidence) they might never if they are playing with older players. Playing up and being just another player will not make you better, You want the ball at your kids feet, you want them doing great things at his level, not average things at a higher level. Scoring 16 goals in 11 games is very good, but no great. He should continue to be a very good player at his level, scoring goals is very satisfying, but just a part of this beautiful game, you want the kids to build a all around game .playing up because he can does not justify the bigger picture, confidence, skill and scoring will do that for him, something he might not get that playing up..Good luck with your decision...
I read the comparison to hockey, B.C hockey is no better (girls) ..We are paying $8500 for our daughter to play major midget.. keep your kid in Soccer..:)

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just an fyi. We paid $2150 for SU. That was for 18 months of soccer and all kit plus travel. Way less than when he played metro after you factor in league fees, academy, kit plus travel for 9 months of soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0