Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should It Be In The Olympics?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Today the Olympic Federation announced that the 2012 Summer Olympics would not include Softball nor Baseball as an Olympic sporting event.

Granted, I didn't think either of those sports should have been included in the first place since they aren't really world-wide accepted sports. But once an event is included should the Olympic Committee be allowed to remove it years later? Should any sports be exempt?

I imagine any sport that has been included for 10+ Olympic games is likely to remain for eternity, but are there any that seem a bit like a flash in the pan? Snowboarding, perhaps?

Are there any current sports that you'd like removed? Hell, are there any sports that you'd actually like to see on CBC instead of having interview after interview of some mother or neighbour of some Western Canadian rower or a French-Canadian diver?

The release: http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=1417

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
All the sports that are a "Art Form or Ballet/Dance "
Half the winter Olympics
Half the Gymnastic
Basically ....anything that doesn't have a finish line ,net , hoop , goal or target

How do you judge these artistic efforts and give them a medal ??
You either like it or you don't how can you give points

I tried watching Diving and I just couldn't understand
one from another ... I wanted to see somebody belly flop
and see how they scored
Don't get me started on Figure Skating .....

all these so-called sports I hate do have atheletes that train very hard and I can only commend them for their dedication and efforts
but how can you judge art except with a thumbs up or thumbs down

I mean Poker Texas Hold'em has more justification to be a olympic sport then alot of what's in there right now

T-out

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Granted, I didn't think either of those sports should have been included in the first place since they aren't really world-wide accepted sports.

i imagine that downhill skiing isn't very big in africa :D .

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is all a huge political ploy.

It's Tony Blair's way of saying thank you to Dubya for getting them involved in this whole fcuking terrorist mess.

It's true.

~Ollie Stone.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe anything that does not have a winner decided by time or order of finish is not a sport and therefore does not belong in the olympics. When politics and judging are involved, forget it. I like to see someone do something quicker than another and win because of that. Running and swimming are good examples but also shooting or hockey because they have a score based on results not opinion.

That being said, I can't stand watching mens softball. It just seems wrong. Didn't they invent softball so girls could play baseball?

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree with judging, didn't some dill hole not get their score in on time/wrong score... in skating that cost someone a gold? Are you fcking kidding me, go out and train everyday for some other idiot to determine my fate.
Score or speed, that is how a sport should end.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Score and speed only?
Are you trying to tell me that basketball, hockey, soccer, or any other refereed sports outcome that is decided by score, can't be swayed by the ref?
It doesn't matter what the olympic sport is really, almost all can be helped or hurt by a judge, ref, or official whether it's a points system or a score.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Been told by somebody who supposedly knows that the two sports to be picked for 2012 will be rugby and golf.

Rugby is a good choice; it fits the team sport and the score/speed criteria, and there is a very level playing field - everybody gets levelled. :D Golf is a little too elitist for my taste, but at least there's scoring involved.

Choices to get rid of: equestrian events. WTF does being able to ride a horse over jumps have to do with anything in reality? Maybe if the competitors were being chased by a horde of starving Sudanese refugees armed with forks.... Lose the "modern" pentathlon as well.

beerZ,

stew :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0