Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Small inside dog

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My wife is wanting to start looking at getting a small indoor dog that won't destroy the place. I am holding out as we had cats for years and am enjoying not having a pet at this point, but my 4 year old daughter is on her side so who knows? Any ideas on a good breed of dog?

JCraiger

Oct 22, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Definetly Not small... But an English mastiff is the best breed in the world!!! Have 2 of them and can't say enough... Great with kids, super smart, gentle, love guests, don't bark, little exercise req., family guardian! This info is probably useless to u but had to put it out there! Don't get jack russsels! Bark, bark, bark!

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brother inlaw just bought a French Bulldog puppy and wow are they ever awesome looking dogs! And he sleeps alot which is good.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently have a slightly larger than "small" dog - malamute retriever cross. Yes, he is big, and sheds a LOT. Advantages:
  1. really good with kids of all sizes (this is more to do with how you socialize your dog than its size).
  2. Very happy all the time.
  3. he doesn't bark (unless you aren't playing with him enough; this might last for about a minute and a half a day.
  4. no furniture anxiety (he sleeps by the couch, not on it, and why would he chew up something that comfortable?)
  5. sleeps most of the day
  6. saves his energy for walks and outside time.
  7. Intimidating size for anybody thinking about giving La Señora any grief while she is walking him.
Disadvantages:
  1. you have to feed him. Large dogs eat large meals (currently about 4 cups of kibbles per day).
  2. very happy dog's extremely large wagging tail is a hazard for toddlers.
  3. dogs need to be walked or get exercise somehow.
  4. "walking the dog" for Daemonspawn #2 is still more of "being taken for a drag by the dog."
  5. large dog = large dog poop.
  6. not the greatest watch dog; he'll just lick people to death.
  7. thinks squirrels, cats and skunks need to be chased.

Good luck with your search...

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
My wife is wanting to start looking at getting a small indoor dog that won't destroy the place. I am holding out as we had cats for years and am enjoying not having a pet at this point, but my 4 year old daughter is on her side so who knows? Any ideas on a good breed of dog?

One thing you should consider... they dont sell leashes for small dogs anymore.

You have to carry them in a murse!

Stay away from the small dog aka the "toy dog" if u can.. (U like Yapping? Wife in one ear dog in other)

A mid to large breed dog is the way to go..

(Bigger dogs provide Loyalty , and a great excuse to get out of the house away from the wife for a walk)

Ask yourself if u wanna be taking a stroll through the neighborhood with a yappy Chihuahua in your murse or walking a loyal companion with some personality and "girth".

Its your call.. but you have to think about the next 10-15 years.

Signed,
Malamute/Siberian husky cross owner

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have 2 labs, probably a little crazy for what you want. Mastiff's are amazing inside dogs, even though they are huge. Don't require much exercise at all, and love to lay around all day. Awesome with kids/pets, downside being lots of food and big craps. We feed our dogs raw meat from the butcher, not too much more expensive but they crap way less and it's tiny. Recommend that food for any dog type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
and am enjoying not having a pet at this point

Much like children, if you don't want them, don't have them. Dogs take a lot of time and effort, and if you don't invest it, they will react poorly (chew your soccer boots). A 4 year old is too young to take on responsibility. So, unless your wife stays at home, and is committed to doing all of the work, get her a cactus instead. You only have to water them once a month or so.

elbowroom

Oct 26, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boxer has to be one of the best all-around dogs.
Perfect size, great with kids and the best part is you don't look like a chump when you walk them.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0