Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Soccer Culture and vocabulary in Canada

North Americans who use the word "football" to speak about soccer in North America:

• Are alright with me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sound like pompous euro-wannabes should just call it soccer, because that's what it's called here.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Should limit the use of the word "football" to when they're around soccer people.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Are right! It should be called "Football/futbol", and never called soccer!

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

SoccerPaper

Jul 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
What do you think about this topic? When I'm writing articles for the newspaper, I'm always debating about what word to use for the name of the sport... "soccer" or "football/futbol". Wondering what people think.

SoccerPaper

Jul 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haha... I am being serious though. As a person who writes about soccer all the time, it's an issue for me. People I quote say "football" and I don't know whether to use that word or soccer in the next sentence. Will I be seen as wannabe euro-trash for saying "football"?

Talk about self-conscious!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would you say Fcuk! or Ouch! in front of your grandmother?

Social situations call for different rules depending on the company present.

Like most things on TTP, common sense should rule.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians uses word soccer and that is fine. Football is only in Ingland and Australuia.
Forget about some kids using faul mouth words. In Hockey it is even more, Junior hockey is about thirty five percent imports from all over the world. The reason it does better than soccer is only because you have thirty add Pro clubs that you could end up in if you do well in junior. Till we get the Pro Soccer clubs in Canada nothing will go forward with soccer. There is more money in herbs and that is why kids do not care. And they bring nice guys to Bronse and Silver two,Silver three and Silver one. Nice guys all right.
Get them the hell away from our kids. Open up your eyes.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0