Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Soccer Guru] Rangers hopes for backlash against Celtic in Scottish Premier League

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangers hopes for backlash against Celtic in Scottish Premier League

Friday, August 27, 2004
ADVERTISEMENT

GLASGOW (AP) - Rangers hopes its Champions League disappointment this week will be enough to spur a better effort in the Scottish Premier League when the side takes on archrival Celtic on Sunday.

The Ibrox club failed to make the lucrative group stage of the Champions League on Wednesday after losing 3-2 on aggregate to Russian side CSKA Moscow.

Rangers will play in the UEFA Cup but in the meantime is looking to topple the Scottish Premier League champions on their home field.

"You definitely do not need any motivation for Celtic away, so we'll get ourselves up for that over the next few days and really go for it," said Rangers midfielder Stephen Hughes, whose side has lost the last six Old Firm derbies, including five last season.

"It is a massive game and we want the right result," said Hughes. "Everyone is writing our season off already, but there is a long way to go and I am sure things will turn around for us."

Celtic leads on nine points from three league games so far this season, while Rangers sits second with seven points. Celtic finished 17 points ahead of its crosstown rival last year.

Celtic will play in Champions League Group F, which also includes powerhouses Barcelona and AC Milan, and Ukrainian team Shakhtar Donetsk.

The draw means a quick return to Parkhead for Henrik Larsson, who quit Celtic for Barcelona in the summer after earning legendary status during his five years at the Scottish club.

Celtic announced earlier this week that it had signed Brazilian midfielder Juninho from Middlesbrough, but the deal is subject to the player receiving a work permit.

Games scheduled for Saturday are Aberdeen vs. Livingston, Dundee United vs. Inverness, Hibernian vs. Dundee and Motherwell vs. Hearts. On Sunday, Kilmarnock hosts Dunfermline.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopes spring eternal is one well worn phrase.

So is "Get it right up yae!" in Scotland.

No backlash from a boring but staunchly frustrating Rangers side.

Juninho was spectacularly entertaining and will no doubt learn to pace himself. He also took kickings from several Rangers players with Prso (donkeyvic) and Rae being the worst offenders. The best and cleanest tackle on the Brazilian Bhoy came from his own teamate, Henri Camara. Had to be seen to be believed.

Celtic 1

Rangers (officially) Rank Rotten Worst Side Ever 0 By the way.

Thommo with an absolute screamer of a goal to take all three points and put us 5 points ahead. What did I say about the league being over by the end of August?

Thanks for coming Rangers.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spectacularly entertaining? No. Diving bastard? Yes.

There was nothing between the two......other Thompson's brilliant goal. Which was the only serious attempt at goal for both sides. With that said, the League is not done. Rangers will make this up against an overconfident Sellick side.

BTW - Lovemypants for Mr. Bean? Tactically beyond me.

Buckfast

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I disagree.

If you want to see divers, look no further than Nacho Novo.

Perhaps there wasn't much between the teams on the day but consider this.
Celtic won the match 1 - 0 while playing poorly versus a Rangers team who lost the match whilst playing out of their skins. So to speak.

Same old Celtic Bucky, always winning!

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps,

I do agree with you on the Love-a-dive sub. I recall thinking, "good stuff Eck! Good work fella."

Celtic need a poacher. Hartson played like Captain Shamrock thinks he always plays.

Hopefully Saviola will see reason and come to Paradise.

Also, Hakin Yakin to Rangers? Brilliant, he's the Swiss Emerson,...without the work ethic. :p

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
Also, Hakin Yakin to Rangers? Brilliant, he's the Swiss Emerson,...without the work ethic. :p

Is that the same Hakin Yakin that MOaN was after and Captain Shamrock thought was the dog's balls? Wondering if there's anything in that like Bimbo off to Newcastle? Or Souness back to Rangers?

A poor display of football by both sides today. Admittedly, a sad day when I'm looking at my watch begging for a draw. Thought it was so when Sylla came on for Hartson.......no matter how poorly he was playing.

Gutted.

Buckfast

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0