Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Soccer Seasons Postponed in Vancouver?

~SCORE MORE~

Jul 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know if the upcomming fall/winter seasons for all leagues with games in Vancouver will be postponed due to the current labour issues?? I guess the leagues that need field permits to schedule games on Vancouver fields will not be able to get those permits (ie. MWSL, VMSL...). And if the labour issues are resolved, the city will need a fair bit of time to prepare the fields that have been idle over the summer (grass is getting a wee bit long!). I can't get my permit renewed for my practice field.

I suppose that the leagues will try to schedule as many games as possible out of Vancouver or use School Board fields???? I hope that we don't loose games over this, but I also hope that the city workers get what they deserve out of all of this too.

Any thoughts?
:D

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you will be fine. I predict that the labour dispute is resolved as soon as the weather starts getting lousy. Plus there are enough fields outside City of Van and AT fields to deal with this in the short term.

But IMO this will be done with by Sept.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is a good question. The field bookings may be done but what about the grass cutting and putting up goal posts in Vancouver. In my coaching days, I recall that it was touch and go whether the Parks Board workers would have posts up prior to the Saturday openers at the best of times.

Second question. Would good union members cross the picket line and play on a Vancouver field or would they sit at the park entrance singing "Free, free beer for the all workers, the union makes us strong"? I think that's a verse in Solidarity Forever.

Third question. Are there any good union members who care that much? Likely not in soccer.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what you're saying is if the strike goes for the whole soccer season the FVSL teams have a shot to go past the first round of the BC's?:D

AntiFan

Apr 4, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what you're saying is if the strike goes for the whole soccer season the FVSL teams have a shot to go past the first round of the BC's?:D

NO!! I don't think that was said. :bronco:

There is a better chance the the Green Devilss and the flying Turtles will meet in the fianl next year Of the Challenge cup.

The Devil Himself

Aug 22, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
NO!! I don't think that was said. :bronco:

There is a better chance the the Green Devilss and the flying Turtles will meet in the fianl next year Of the Challenge cup.

2 digs at our team in less than a week...did we strike a nerve AFAN? Lets see.... I believe your referring to the ACBC tourney. We played with only 4 starters and a short bench. We only brought out friends of the team (no ringers). Oh yeah, didnt we beat you anyways?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Third question. Are there any good union members who care that much? Likely not in soccer.

Reccos is allways looking for hos to get involved in these big union debates, and then dud gets involved and everyong gets soo fired up on these labour issues.

Sam started forced these Cupe locals into this strike and now that they are out, it could be a few months that they are out because the two sides hate each other that much, look at how many strikes there has been in the last 10 years, this is the third one.

I hope it ends soon, but I would hope that VMSL soccer players that are union members would support the psition that the vancouver locals are in and not play on the vancouver fields.

Good thing Ali is coaching in Richmond or this could get ugly.

hos

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos is allways looking for hos to get involved in these big union debates, and then dud gets involved and everyong gets soo fired up on these labour issues.

Sam started forced these Cupe locals into this strike and now that they are out, it could be a few months that they are out because the two sides hate each other that much, look at how many strikes there has been in the last 10 years, this is the third one.

I hope it ends soon, but I would hope that VMSL soccer players that are union members would support the psition that the vancouver locals are in and not play on the vancouver fields.

Good thing Ali is coaching in Richmond or this could get ugly.

hos

Spot on, HOS........after all, it's all about the kids and players.......

Let them play CSC

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m pretty fcuking busy these days Hos, and have little time or patience to get into the working rights / wages / benefits of garbage men and gravel movers.

That being said, because I am so busy these days, I have an 18 year old kid swinging by the house once / week to cut my grass. He charges $15.00 / hour, and does an immaculate job. Some weeks he shows up twice, even three times, to do a little extra maintenance…you know, trim the weeds, and manicure the hedges. I get the bills, and am happy to pay them. Plus, the Missus bothers me a lot less in the evenings. I don’t have to hear about the honey-do list anymore, since Derek is handling it for me.

The kid has turned a little summer side job into a profitable small business. He works the neighborhood pretty tight. Most houses on our block have the same issues…the main bread winner is busy during the day- you know, working, while the wives are at home tending to kids, doing Pilates, watching Oprah, making sure the kids are napping every day from exactly 2:00-4:00, etc. It is unrealistic for us to expect our wives tend to it themselves, so the kid does it for us. For the rates he charges us, it’s tough to believe that he could be driving around in a brand new F-150 w/ trailer, but somehow he’s managed.

My point is this: maybe the clubs should just offer to take on the maintenance for the city? Call up the kid in our neighborhood…he’ll cut the grass, and keep the soccer moms happy, all in a day’s work.

Now Hos, kindly, fcuk off, I’m busy

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That being said, because I am so busy these days, I have an 18 year old kid swinging by the house once / week to cut my grass. He charges $15.00 / hour, and does an immaculate job.

He can thank the Labour Movement of this Nation for that $15 bucks an hour, if not cnuts like you would be trying to grind kids down to 4 or 5 bucks an hour to cut the lawn and then really help you out by keeping your Old lady happy and helping her out in the bedroom, well that would be one of your so called benefits.

hos

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
That being said, because I am so busy these days, I have an 18 year old kid swinging by the house once / week to cut my grass. He charges $15.00 / hour, and does an immaculate job. Some weeks he shows up twice, even three times, to do a little extra maintenance…you know, trim the weeds, and manicure the hedges. I get the bills, and am happy to pay them. Plus, the Missus bothers me a lot less in the evenings. I don’t have to hear about the honey-do list anymore, since Derek is handling it for me.

I think there might be more then your lawn being serviced if the missus isn't bothering you along with the frequent visits.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really Robj? That bitch. I suppose our cable wasn't actually on the fritz last month too...

~Nofliessitonrobj.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He can thank the Labour Movement of this Nation for that $15 bucks an hour, if not cnuts like you would be trying to grind kids down to 4 or 5 bucks an hour to cut the lawn and then really help you out by keeping your Old lady happy and helping her out in the bedroom, well that would be one of your so called benefits.

hos

Absolutely brilliant HOS. I think you should be president of the union.

By the way, were you providing similar similar services to lawns and housewives when you were 15 - 16? You seem to be familiar with the business.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Give it another couple of paychecks missed, and the weather turning more sour than it is....these idiots will be settling on a wage roll back at that point. Actually I'd kinda like the city to lock them out at this point, until say Christmas?? How many "Solidarity Forever" morons will there be besides HOS????:bronco:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great Late news is that many of the "Strikers" took up jobs on construction sites, with other contractors, etc and a large number of them will not return to their old job once the 'strike' is over...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0