Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sponsoring teams

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
So around the ddfferent leagues, are a large percentage of teams sponsored by someone or company. Do players still cough up $100-200 per winter season to play? Obviously there are registration fees, league fees, referee and linesman fees, practice fee in the gym or outdoor and of course beers. It's not cheap anymore. How much is your sponsor expected to pony up?

Who's the best sponsor out there? Is this who sets the bar or standard? Looking back, sponsors like Rino and Metro Ford have remained notorious with there respective clubs.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think anything you can get is good...Teams & Clubs that have been able to lock down awesome and long term sponsorship are great.- good reliable sustainable sponsorship is hard to come by.
I charge my guys fees still, and mostly just to ensure they show up when it is 6 degrees, pissing rain sideways and windy...It is easy to stay at home on those days if you paid nothing to play (this of course is at lower levels) but you get the gist...

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
players are always happy to get new shorts and socks at the beginnng of the season. and just to start off with a boatload of beer in the cooler is always good.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have a great thing going we have two to three sponsors. With our main one the pub we drink at after games they have been so good to us over the years it's awesome. a few years ago we played Aldergrove here in Maple Ridge and they came back to our pub and they got in on our buy two get one free deal with pitchers of beer. It was a great show of respect for two teams that played so hard and tied the game and drank together after wards. plaus we have a local soccer storre that gives us great deals on everthing, boots for my players,team jackets etc. but we still charge because it's expensive being in a club.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're finding it hard to get sponsors other than the companies our players work for, which is just little bits here and there, even the pub we always go to can't find the money for us. We charge too, but because we have to. We just win tournaments to finance new stuff :D

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like Johnny said, it's best to charge guys the real costs ($150-$200) and then fundraise for the extras. It's hard to get money straight up from anyone, but pubs are always keen to have you in for pub nights (especially if it's on a weekday), and most will give you a deal if you show up with 5+ in your uniforms.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have this great thing called "fans that actually give a shite and support the club through membership dues" Played for Croatia A for 16 years and never once had to pay a league reg fee or for beer after a game.

Broncoreportingfromtherightsideofthetracks:bronco:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to conceed that Croatia has the best set-up. Sidaway may be a bad pitch, but the whole post-church Sunday scene is something to behold. A great familly / community atmosphere, and a facility (if not rustic) to boot. I'd say 2nd to none around these parts.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only reason there is any left is because you ran off while the boat races were going on and stuck a case or two in your car. Or was that suposed to be a secret?

I had to make sure we had some left for our next game, and it was only half a case :( And it was right before we left, during the boat races I'm pretty sure I downed mine in like 2 seconds so maybe I would have had time to do that based on how slow you were :D

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our pub sponsor (Mahony & Sons at UBC...gratuitous plug) gives a little cash but they set up a 'team card' for anyone on our team or supporters. 10% of every bill goes towards a team credit at the bar and can be used like air miles. It's good for them as well as they can measure the usage to gauge whether or not they want to give more or less cash in subsequent years.

We charge our players to pay for sure though...except the goalie. We are just an independent team so the players have to pay to play. Still very good value if you ask me. There's always hockey :)

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have a local pub sponsorship where i think they give us $1000 a year. As well we get a free pitcher for every 8 guys who go in there. We have 3 mens teams and everyone is charged $100 a year on the assumption there may be a cash call for more fees depending on how our halloween dance ( a joint effort between the 3 mens and 1 womens team) goes which is the main focus of our fundraising/sponsorship efforts. We seem to make a pretty goos amount of money of that each year. We try to have a springtime fundraiser as well but that did not happen last year. We are going to be getting new unis at the start of this year and we are working on getting sponsors for that but it looks like it will be a combination of a few of our own companies that will be paying for them. Noone has any problem with paying and we charge less than the local youth club does so the parents who pay for the u-21's for the most part think it is a great deal.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're a self-supporting old farts team, although if Rich is listening and still wants to spread the wealth around, we might be able to reach an accomodation...:D

Basically, we just do stuff on a self-sustaining basis, which the players pay for. This gets augmented by beer fund proceeds. When we need extra stuff, like new gear, the guys dig a bit deeper.

Sponsorships are nice if you can obtain them. Personally, I haven't had the time to be a full-time salesman looking for one of these, so we haven't had one for at least 5 years. Gotta say though, they're a lot easier to come by when you have the pub manager playing on your team.:D

In the old days (here he goes again), pub sponsorships were a lot easier to come by. Keep in mind that this was before liability lawsuits, and back when pub owners (and breweries) could directly write off the cost of sponsorship as advertising. This is more of a challenge now. It's also more difficult when your players live all over the lower mainland and start to have family (and with that, coaching) commitments that preclude them from going back to the sponsor's for another pint. Your local ain't too local anymore...

Haven't had great experience with company-sponsored teams. I ran one for several years (even after the company no longer had anything to do with it), and it was mildly amusing trying to keep the guy who was paying the bills from actually getting onto the field (nobody can or should play in that kind of shape except Army). Except for Telus, which sponsors a whole league, the corporate types usually lose interest after a season or two unless one of the cheque-signers is involved on the field.

Trece

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0