Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team Great Britain at 2012 Summer Olympics - ?

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally - despite my allegiance to the blue shirts of Scotland - I like the idea. The Scottish, Welsh and N.Ireland FA's not so much - they have vehemently stated their opposition to any such team (as to assure the sovreignty of their FA's - and, fair enough). The English FA has been asked by the British Olympic Committee to form a "Team GB" - and select players from any of the four Home Country's.

The SFA, Welsh and NIreland FA's have acknowledged that legally they can't stop their players from playing for Team GB if asked - they just don't like the idea.

What do you think?

It's an U-23 tournament with three overage players allowed on the roster of 18 (David Beckham apparently would be one of them).

Great Britain has never - or at least not recently - bothered to attempt to qualify for the tournament because they are divided into four FA's. But, of-course the 2012 summer games are in London so GB was given an automatic spot as hosts.

The debate is both for the men's and women's tournaments.

I say - Go Team GB! Though that might just be from someone who supports Scotland and Canada internationally and wanting to support a team that actually has a chance at winning a major tournament!

`cheers

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
realistically, and specifically if you're looking at the full mens national teams, there aren't many, if any, players from N Ireland, Scotland, and Wales that would supplant English players. Gareth Bale at left back or left wing... perhaps that's it... your dressed 18 would be 16 English with Gareth Bale from Wales and you might have an argument that Allan MacGregor would battle Joe Hart as the first choice keeper... but he'd certainly be the backup if Hart was your starter. Perhaps Charlie Adam makes the team but he's not starting ahead of Lampard, Gerrard etc.

Now since it's Olympics and U-23 you'd have to think that some other youngsters from the other nations might be good enough to play (Danny Wilson at Liverpool?) but would that or could that harm their being selected in the future? perhaps, but then the smaller Nations would be making their own team weaker purely out of spite.

I don't see it as being a huge deal really. I think the Brits are already too self important as it is especially when it comes to the football. England really is shite, and they're much better than Scotland Wales and Norn Ireland, so it's not saying much.
The only reason this is even a story is because of BBC and Sky needing something to write about.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having Giggsy go with Beckham could be cool too.

Being Scottish, I'm Ok with it but agree the majority would be English so why not just put in an English team then.

Perhaps a minimum # from each country to be selected?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0