Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TFC Sign de Guzman

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huge for TFC. JdG is a gem of a player, being the best player on many occasions I saw him playing for depor.

It's too bad he couldn't hang on in Spain or elsewhere in Europe till the Caps could designate him in 2011.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever thinks this won't help them score more doesn't get it. TCF will have way more possesion as a result of this signing, and the attack can build off that so much easier.

Great signing...JB, what will he earn here?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reports earlier in the summer had it pegged at in the neighborhood of $8M/yr :eek: He turned it down then as he wanted to stay in Europe.

Only a moron would say he wouldn't help TFC, however, I'm not too sure he'll be able to get them into the playoffs...

As for the Caps DP in 2011, it's quite obvious they will go after Jacob Lensky.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
He has been blackballed by Spainish soccer because of his demanding to be paid his deferred salary payments.. allegedly.

What he will earn here is more than there :p

Honestly I haven't seen any numbers yet but I'd imagine in the Ljundberg area of payscale (1.3m guaranteed)...
He'll make more than DeRo (Who is guaranteed 425k this year) and probably a bit less than Blanco (2.9 m guaranteed) or J.P. Angel (1.8 m)...

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Then there is the purported contract itself. Ridiculous rumors pertaining to shocking sums of money and numerous guaranteed years have permeated through Canadian media reports, with Canadian television channel The Score reporting on its Web site that de Guzman has signed a deal that includes a three-year guarantee surpassed only by David Beckham's five-year deal. If proven true, that's a pretty hefty guarantee for a player who couldn't find a suitable gig in Europe on a free transfer and who could struggle to adapt physically to the rough and tumble MLS.

wow...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing for Canada's MNT program. Good for TFC, perhaps not so good for JdG and Canada.

Would you prefer your best player and leader to be playing in one of the best leagues in the world or in the league that includes pro club(s), come 2011, in your home country?

If a player goes from playing against 8's, 9's, and 10's and plays against 4's, 5's, 6's, and 7's his 8 (maybe) will fall to a 6 or 7 eventually... one would think anyways...

however if your best players are playing closer to home (DeRo and JdG) one might think that better chemistry and more games could result as the costs of bringing guys home on breaks for Internationals is easier with more guys playing close to Canada.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As far as the MNT is concerned? I have to believe it is better to be playing overseas in Spain or the EPL. For sure.

In an ideal world, the MLS would be home to the mid range players that globally can't quite crack the best leagues in Europe...for import restrictions or otherwise simply not good enough. Brennan is a great example of that caliber of player. The MLS is perfect for them, and frankly a bunch of this caliber player playing together in the MLS is good for the MNT. The MNT would draw the core from MLS, while making exceptions to those premier caliber players that make their livings in the best leagues in the world (I shouldn't use plurrals, because I don't think we have one in one of the big 3 anymore).

But that's not the case yet, is it?

If De Guzman is here because of a boatload of money and security that he otherwise wouldn't get, that's one thing- and who can blame him. I highly doubt he walked away from a better financial situation in Europe to come to TO. Who in their right fcuking mind leaves Spain for TO (even for a guy born and raised in TO...seriously, you can't be that homesick)?

The guy who's being paid a boatload of money, that's who.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0