Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Golden Age of Music (1980's)

If there was to be a battle royale of '80's bands, who would win?

• Big Country

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The Alarm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Def Leppard

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • They're all piss so far you dumb cnut

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Malcolm McClaren

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Swing out Sister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luba

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad news today that seminal 1980's ATV-user and treasure hunter Stuart Adamson was found hanged in a seedy Hawaii hotel room.

Look away, look away, Fastshow.

Big Country star dies
By CLODAGH HARTLEY
in Los Angeles

TROUBLED Big Country rocker Stuart Adamson has been found hanged in a cheap hotel room in Hawaii, as reported by Fastshow on www.takethepiss.com.

Last night police said it was probably suicide. Alcoholic Stuart, 43 — missing for five weeks — had been depressed for months.

The singer and guitarist, raised in Fife, was found in the £40-a-night Best Western Plaza near Honolulu airport on Sunday lunchtime.

Close friend Ian Grant, his manager for over 20 years, said: “He was found in tragic circumstances. We are all absolutely devastated.”

Dad-of-two Stuart, whose 1980s hits included In A Big Country and Fields Of Fire, left a note for his son Calum, 19, at his Nashville, Tennessee, home on November 7 saying “back by noon Sunday”.

He never returned but contacted two pals before flying to Hawaii on December 4.

Alcoholics Anonymous member Stuart was facing a drink-driving charge in Nashville, where he split with second wife Melanie Shelley six weeks ago. She launched a search for him.

Calum had been living with Stuart. Daughter Kirsten, 17, lives in Scotland with their mum Sandra. Stuart gave up booze after Live Aid in 1985 but hit the bottle again in 1997. He disappeared briefly two years ago.

The star’s first chart success came in 1978 with punk band The Skids.

Big Country had 13 Top 30 hits and five Top 10 LPs but split after releasing a live album last year.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big Country

Sad news about Adamson. I guess now he has gone to a Big Country.

The Crossing is a great Album.

hedKandi

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
lumpen proletariat......

How predictable is it that Def Leppard will win this poll? I wouldn't mind but I've an awful feeling that the wops are voting for Def Leppard in their sugar-pouring days when they sounded like Bryan 'twat' Adams and not the good old Leppard days when their drummer was multi-limbed.

I think Regs will fiddle it anyway.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's no mention of Kool Moe Dee, Marley Marl or the Beastie Boys. I should come to Fulham and bust a proverbial cap in yo azz for such an oversight. At least mention De La Soul. They have nice drums, you know.

Potholes in my lawn,
-Sensei.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
el segundo.....

You're a moderator, fcuking moderate and make yer own poll rap-man. I think if you're honest with yourself, you know that smooth eighties types Swing out Sister would piss all over Marley Marl in a street brawl anyway. And Big Country's line-up boasted a coloured fella who you know would have had to have been either very funny or hard as old boots to have survived growing up in Fife in the 1970's. He was a bass player after all.

I'll give you the De la Soul nod, they did have very nice drums.

I go to work, Fastshow.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The World is my Oyster

Fasty,

A fcuking shite choice for a poll. What about those fcuking shite high school Canadian Bands like Haywire, Loverboy, Honeymoon Suite, Glass Tiger, Platinum Blonde, Martha & Muffinns and Bryan Adams -:eek: FCUK ME :rolleyes:- Thats why Maple Syrup was your biggest exporter:p
But anyways...
Frankie has to get my vote. Still that LP has more relevant sounds and the production is cool as you will ever get today.
Was glad to listen to the Jam, New Order, The Clash, Duran and all Soul exports from the US on me radio when I was a nipper.

Ah, Sensei,
Beastie Boys yes. And most definitely DeLa Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Aleem, The Egyptian Lover, World Class Wreckin Cru, Mantronix and Jonzun Crew
Say No Go, FYI "el Segundo" was the 'Tribe'

Zang Tuum Tumb :)

hedKandi

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ZTT

Yes.

Trevor Horn is a genius. Undisputed. Zang Tuum Zumb was an important label in my upbringing and, as such, clearly have much for which to be made accountable. Propaganda with their 'P Machinery' was a work of sublime excellence. Not bad for a bunch of square heads, really.

I was listening to Mantronix the other day. I was, honest. It began to remind me of Buckfast until I remembered he was more of a DJ E-Z Rock 'Joy and Pain' or Gerald Levert man.

I knew I should have included The Christians, Spear of Destiny, Furniture, It's Immaterial and Cath Carroll. You have heard of Cath Carroll haven't you, Hed? Your credentials are very much at stake on this one, squire. Hint: Tony Wilson.

I thought Luba was bad enough without mentioning the rest of that shower. At least you didn't mention Jane Siberry and her 'Mimi on the Beach' abortion. Thanks.

Driving Away from Home to Ed's Funky Diner, Fastshow.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hed

Need not inform moi of Tribe's wallet donations to El Segundo. That's Fasty's miscue. Despite his earnest attempts to "get street" (an unnatural limp in his swagger, excess Ecko gear, the big "Roc La Familia" iced-out chain he sports around his neck), his lack of knowledge about his hiphop forefathers is well, lacking.

To carry on with your list, I'd put KMD, Big Daddy Kane, Eric B. and Rakim and group by the name of 3rd Bass (Gasface anyone?) in the "must-have" hiphop collection of the 80s.

For those looking for a little rapperific holiday cheer, check out the first track off the Groove Armada album "Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)" - Suntoucher, featuring Jeru the Damaja. He will bring the pain. Not like that's a bad thing.

Sense-to the izzo, ay-to the izzay,
-Me.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the finest example of the rapping art ever, look no further than Talkin All That Jazz by the Christmasoriffic Stetsasonic.

Go Stetsa!

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whodini - Freaks Come Out at Night.

That's what got it started pour moi. And it's been down hill ever since.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL

"oh yeah the freaks come out!"

Bucky, are you going to Johnny Brown's do tonight?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It should be noted that half of the Handsome Boy Modelling School crew, Prince Paul, produced the aforementioned Stetsasonic album. He is also responsible for the first three DeLa Soul albums, the Gravediggaz album and his own "Prince Among Thieves" album. The man is a god, nay, legend.

As for Whodini, "Friends" was easily his best effort.

How many of us have them,
-Sensei.

The Judge

Oct 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rabbit Yaletown Brown

hi,I heard his birhtday was a blast,KILLER had a good time,"you'll have to ask him how many birds he plucked?Happy Bd Jonnie rabbit"u slute".

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
resemblance....

I resent the insinuation that I don't know my Tribes from my Maestros from my Heavy D's from my LL Cool J's.

'Just a Friend' by Biz Markie still makes me cry, Fastshow.

P.S. Buckfast, did you go to Browny's do? I can't stand this suspense.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i have been listening to glass tiger this week...really. i think they are a btter export from canada than bryan adams.

from oz......midnight oil, INXS , kylie minogue, cold chisel , ac/dc(70's), hoodoo gurus, crowded house(90's) and men at work

although we are sooooo over "land down under"

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0