Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 10 Goalies (post 1970)

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't want to get off topic in Wayne's thread, and narrowing the top hockey players to 10 is too difficult. Top 10 goalies, however, is a little easier. Roberto hasn't earned his spot anywhere yet.

10. Gerry Cheevers
9. Tony Esposito
8. Mike Richter
7. Bernie Parent
6. Eddie Belfour
5. Ken Dryden
4. Grant Fuhr
3. Patrick Roy
2. Dominic Hasek
1. Martin Brodeur

Hasek is the only goalie I can think of that had the ability to make the other team wonder if they would ever beat him. If he had more cups and, more importantly, fewer flaky moments, he'd be considered the best ever.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Grant Fuhr is a marginal keeper who played for the best team ever assembled. No way he makes any list.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't want to get off topic in Wayne's thread, and narrowing the top hockey players to 10 is too difficult. Top 10 goalies, however, is a little easier. Roberto hasn't earned his spot anywhere yet.

10. Gerry Cheevers
9. Tony Esposito
8. Mike Richter
7. Bernie Parent
6. Eddie Belfour
5. Ken Dryden
4. Grant Fuhr
3. Patrick Roy
2. Dominic Hasek
1. Martin Brodeur

Hasek is the only goalie I can think of that had the ability to make the other team wonder if they would ever beat him. If he had more cups and, more importantly, fewer flaky moments, he'd be considered the best ever.

While Brodeur or Hasek are certainly amazing goalies, Patrick can't hear them, he has two extra Stanley Cup rings stuck in his ears...

St. Patrick is for me the best of all time. He was a playoff goalie like none other, check the stats. Whereas Brodeur is solid and reliable, St. Patrick was a force of nature in the playoff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCnNFNbcPvY]YouTube - Roenick vs Roy[/ame] this still makes me laugh...

My measure of greatness comes from Stanley cups, nothing else. Nobody gives a shite how many Presidents trophies or Vezinas you win, it's Lord Stanley's cup that counts. Ask any NHL player that never won a cup and they will all say they would trade all their records and personal achievements just to sip from the cup. Patrick not only did it 4 times, he was recognized as the biggest difference maker for 3 of them. Anybody know how many Conn Smythe trophies those top 2 you chose won? Zero. Combined. Patrick Roy has three. Until we see another goalie like him, he remains King among all goalies.

BTW, tough for me to comment on anything pre-mid 1980s, I just wasn't around!

:D:D:D

My top 5 are

5. Hextall (Only because he was so fun to watch AND he could score)
4. Belfour
3. Brodeur
2. Hasek
1. Roy

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mike Vernon won a Conn Smythe and a couple Cups as did Billy Ranford. not sure if they where Top ten but in theere day they were pretty good. Captain Kirk MacLean is one of my Favourite Canucks, but I wouldn't say he was Top ten.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Kirk MacLean is one of my Favourite Canucks, but I wouldn't say he was Top ten.

Although he was a force in the 94 playoff run and if not for him they wouldn't have gone to the finals. Had they won the thing who knows he might have been a conn smyth winner too so according to Berga then he can be an honourable mention since he didn't win anything.:D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
While Brodeur or Hasek are certainly amazing goalies, Patrick can't hear them, he has two extra Stanley Cup rings stuck in his ears...

St. Patrick is for me the best of all time. He was a playoff goalie like none other, check the stats. Whereas Brodeur is solid and reliable, St. Patrick was a force of nature in the playoff.

My measure of greatness comes from Stanley cups, nothing else. Nobody gives a shite how many Presidents trophies or Vezinas you win, it's Lord Stanley's cup that counts. Ask any NHL player that never won a cup and they will all say they would trade all their records and personal achievements just to sip from the cup. Patrick not only did it 4 times, he was recognized as the biggest difference maker for 3 of them. Anybody know how many Conn Smythe trophies those top 2 you chose won? Zero. Combined. Patrick Roy has three. Until we see another goalie like him, he remains King among all goalies.

BTW, tough for me to comment on anything pre-mid 1980s, I just wasn't around!

:D:D:D

My top 5 are

5. Hextall (Only because he was so fun to watch AND he could score)
4. Belfour
3. Brodeur
2. Hasek
1. Roy

Roy has 4 rings, Brodeur has 3 (maybe 4 once this season is over) Roy played for an AV's team that was purchased to make the cuyp a reality the second time. The Habs teams that ROy backstopped to Cups were never going to be there without him. I'll give him that.

I'd say Brodeur has 2-4 seasons left in him and if he can win one more cup and be tied with Roy for how many rings he has I will call him the best ever.

You should check your facts before popping off. :rolleyes:

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Berga Roy was in net in Nagano when team Canada didn't even medal and many said Brodeur should have started the bronze. Canada was knocked out by the dominator in those games and also in 2002 in the playoffs the wings beat the avalanche so head to head in tournies that mean something Hasek has an edge over Roy.

For me top 3 are
Brodeur
Hasek
Roy

P.S. I never saw Tretiak play so was he as good as advertised and if so why isn't he on anyones list? Ok I found out even though he was drafted he wasn't allowed to play in the NHL.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tretiak was that good. But so were Ken Dryden and Bernie Parent.

Billy Smith was a marginally better than average goalie who was probably the worst cheap shot artist who ever played. He was protected by a very good defense and a lot of large goons.

Ron Hextall was a farce.:rolleyes:

George Hainsworth was purported to be the best ever. Nobody is ever going to get 22 shutouts in 44 games again, but then again, nobody took slapshots in that era. It would be very interesting to see what a guy with that level of innate talent would be able to do with modern equipment.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
George Hainsworth was purported to be the best ever. Nobody is ever going to get 22 shutouts in 44 games again, but then again, nobody took slapshots in that era. It would be very interesting to see what a guy with that level of innate talent would be able to do with modern equipment.

I think the fact that the forward pass was not introduced until 1929 (the year after he accomplished this feat) may have had something to do with it ;)

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Roy has 4 rings, Brodeur has 3 (maybe 4 once this season is over) Roy played for an AV's team that was purchased to make the cuyp a reality the second time. The Habs teams that ROy backstopped to Cups were never going to be there without him. I'll give him that.

I'd say Brodeur has 2-4 seasons left in him and if he can win one more cup and be tied with Roy for how many rings he has I will call him the best ever.

You should check your facts before popping off. :rolleyes:

Forgot about the '95 cup, thanks for the correction JBN. :(

I still maintain Roy is better. 151 playoff wins versus 94. That is a huge number. Brodeur didn't exactly have shite teams playing in front of him either when the Devils won their cups...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0