Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[TTPTV] Up Front Episode #7 Archive

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Up Front Archive Episode #7

The seventh Up Front webcast that ran live last Tuesday is now available for listening on-demand.

A big thanks to those that listened live! Please let us know what you thought of the show overall.

The archive player can be found on the Up Front main page (icon at top of site):

http://www.takethepiss.com/index.php?page=upfront

Just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the episode 7 player link.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
From the 2:10 mark until the end is pretty good with Reed and Thomo argueing with each other for a long stretch.

What do you think?

Is there a difference between playing for your country if you are a hockey player or a soccer player? (specifically in Canada).

Let's hear it!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Informative show I thought. Though it certainly had its clichéd / being as politically correct (except for Niall) as possible filled moments though didn’t it?

On the “argument” which I loved by the way (if only Niall had that much jam around his missus he could have hung around for a pint or two after training) I have to agree with Thomo. I’d much rather play on the largest and best scale possible if I’m afforded the opportunity. I’m as patriotic to my country and the next Joe Average, but if I spent ½ my life in Canada and half in the Netherlands playing football like that kid I would certainly choose to be a Dutch international as apposed to the gong show #98th ranked Canadians.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just finished listening to Kermit and Gonzo.

The whole argument over who to play for...

Thomo pretty much made it evident to me the difference in mentality between born and raised Canadians, and part time Canadians, as he is. Reedy pointed it out, and he's bang on, that it has everything to do with pride in one's country. Playing abroad is one thing, and if you have the talent to play at the top level in Holland, England, Germany, or wherever, you will play at the top level. You will earn the money. But, to go ahead and turn your back on your country, in trying to do what you can to give back to the country and game where you learned the game, only speaks to your patriotism, or lack of it.

Hargraves, to me, is a disgrace to our country because he turned his back on us. He's Canadian, born and raised. Yes, he had the talent to go over, but how about a bit of pride to give back to, yes, the system, but especially your country? He is a player that would most certainly help the cause in getting us somewhere up to a respectable ranking, and would also help in providing an inspiration to younger players who aspire to one day put on a Canadian kit. Christ... he opted to play for England even though he was never even a resident! Good business decision? Absolutely. A fcuking thankless cnut? Absolutely.

If Thomo was good enough, he made it plain as day to me that he would have chosen England over Canada. Fair enough...he was born there. He's a part time Canadian...sort of living here to take advantage of what the country has to offer, but if push came to shove, he'd turn his back on us. In the end, those are not the types of players I want in a Canadian uniform anyhow. There is a lot to be said about Canadian Hockey and the pride these players exhibit in playing for their country, and our National Soccer side would be far better off, I feel, if more soccer players took on a similar mentality to our best hockey players when they pull on the Maple Leaf.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
What are your thoughts on Donovan Bailey? Or better yet, Daniel Igali?

Would you consider both of them "fcuking classless cnuts"?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
to the country and game where you learned the game, only speaks to your patriotism, or lack of it.
Problem with this is,is he learned the game in Holland not here. You make it seem like since he played in the Tim Hortons mini game he owes this country's national team something. Bolloxs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
BTW, also feel free to discuss the interviews with both Steve Reed & Carl Valentine... I thought both were quite informative in what they had to offer and hopefully everyone that chooses to educate themselves on the workings of a BCSA does have a listen - we hope to make a portion of the show each week (or month at the very least) dedicated to interviews with BC Soccer directors.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Problem with this is,is he learned the game in Holland not here. You make it seem like since he played in the Tim Hortons mini game he owes this country's national team something. Bolloxs.
He's played the last 5 years in Holland and he's still a teenager - I think it would be a bit of a stretch to say he is where he is at now as a player due to the development he received in Canada.

But that's besides the point. Let the dutch have him. We have the internationally acclaimed KNVB as a fair trade. Just ask Thomo.

~Can'tthrowveryfar.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, those two athletes, especially Igali, gave back to a COUNTRY that took them in and offered them a vast improvement in standard of living and opportunity in their home countries. Especially Igali, who continues to give back here, and back home building schools. Big difference between those athletes, and somebody who is simply following the money, or even just a better medal for the mantel. Can't compare the situations. Igali gives back, while others (as it would appear, Thomo, and probably KNVB) are simply fine with taking the good Canada offers, then giving the country a nice fcuk off when it would suit them.

You may be OK with that. I'm not.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Donovon Bailey and Daniel Igali both ply their trade here.

Owen Hargreaves is as English as KNVB's ability to knock a simple ball to a lad waiting to tee it up in the box.

Just to clarify also, Ben Johnson is a Jamaican. :D

Being of dual citizenship I personally say it would be a tough decision but I would go with Dude's argument that go where you learned the game and show your patriotism, and loyalty, there.
Not that choosing between Canada and Scotland amounts to anything substantive in the heart wrenching department...
They both can't fcuking qualify for tournaments...:mad:
But Dude, my good man, that doesn't mean I'm a part time Canadian.

Look at Giggsy too.
Turned his back on an English jersey (Who wouldn't and who gives a fcuk about England anyway? ;) ) to wear a Welsh one.
He's been critisized for that yet I respect the fcuk out of him for doing it.

Interesting debate.

RF

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hypocrites.

Jonathan Deguzman is a teenager. I would argue he has developed there WAY more than what he learned here and will probably continue to do so for years to come. Why wouldn't you look at that and say the same thing that you are applying towards these others that came here?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Because I'm Canadian Regs. Igali has chosen to adopt Canada, and Canada him; I'm proud that he's now one of ours BECAUSE of what he gives back on so many levels. I'm sure that there are some Nigerians out there that are plenty pissed off Igali left. I would not begrudge them that opinion. That said, Nigeria is a 3rd world country whose government has long abandoned it's people, so I'm sure most praise his accomplishments, and are thankful for his giving back to them, too. There are PLENTY of athletes from many different countries and many different sports that come to Canada to train, ply their trade if you will, then compete for their homeland instead of applying for Canadian citizenship. Just goes to show that we have a lot to offer, because people want to be here, and take advantage. They pays taxes here, so in that aspect they pay their dues to take advantage of what Canada offers.

Christ, as Canadian citizens, you can't even compare what somebody like Hargraves has or will ever contribute to his homeland as what Igali has contributed to both his adopted country and native country. Hargraves followed the money and prestige, that's all. Igali was just a guy looking for a fair shot in a democratic society. No comparison.

How about another comparison: Steve Nash or Owen Hargraves? Nash certainly didn't learn his best basketball in Canada, but he gives back to an inferior system, doesn't he? Don't tell me USA Basketball wouldn't welcome Nash with open arms if tomorrow he were a US Citizen, and wanted to play for them.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

Just a side note on Hargreaves.( I'm not going to make too many comments here, as I am definetly a part time Canadian.)

Hargreaves was told as a youth player, in no uncertain terms by the powers that be in the National program here in Canada, that he wasn't good enough.!!!:eek: So Dad took son off to Germany and Bayern Munich thought otherwise.

Cheers

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
crafty cokcney said:
Hargreaves was told as a youth player, in no uncertain terms by the powers that be in the National program here in Canada, that he wasn't good enough!!!

Indeed he was. And for this reason, Dude, I don't think you can fault him, let alone call him a thankless cnut. Very nice, by the way. I find you're being extremely hypocritical here. Canada has countless athletes originally from other countries now competing under our flag. Where is your righteous drivel when it comes to this. As soon as Regs brought this point up it was "er, ah, it's different, it's different". Uh, no, it's not different at all. As has been stated already, Deguzman has received five years of top-notch career training in Holland. Training that Canada can't even come close to matching and you think he's a cnut if he chooses to play for Holland?! I coudln't agree less.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know, you can say what you want about "plying the trade", and "learning the game" away from home. I think we can all agree that for most footballers in this country, they have to leave here to go elsewhere to really enhance their game and establish a professional career. So does that mean that every player who has gone abroad should simply change colors at the drop of a hat, just for the chance to win a better trophy? Remember: these players are still being paid very handsomely.

Seriously, let's talk about hypocrisy. How about the hypocrisy of debating, on every fcuking Reedy & Thomo show, the shortcomings of Canadian Soccer, and the reasons why we aren't able to compete, then in the next breath praising those that are born here but choose to compete for a country other than Canada at the senior level?

The problem is that players like this don't have enough pride in their country to simply suck it up, and do what they can to help the program. It's a disgraceful attitude, and damn fcuking rights, we don't need attitudes like that in the National Program. That lack of pride, as much as anything, is what is hurting our National Soccer Program.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hang on.

You called Hargreaves a thankless cnut. Someone pointed out to you that he was told by the CSA he wasn't good enough. That is a fact. Yet people like you will not even acknowledge it and will go on spouting their clueless crap.

Seriously, let's talk about hypocrisy. How about the hypocrisy of debating, on every fcuking Reedy & Thomo show, the shortcomings of Canadian Soccer, and the reasons why we aren't able to compete, then in the next breath praising those that are born here but choose to compete for a country other than Canada at the senior level?
Listen to the show carefully. The "debates" point fingers at anything but players.

Soon though, the debates will turn to discussing wankers like you that don't email or call in to the show.

Seriously? "Lack of pride" is the last thing in what ails the national program. And again, why treat these guys differently than an Igali or Bailey who "didn't have enough pride in their country to simply suck it up"?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The kid plays for England. Not Canada, not even Germany, England. Playing for your country isn't always about paying back just the sport, it's about patriotism. He's not the first kid who wasn't selected first time around. So he wasn't selected as a youth. Big deal. He caught on with a reputable club, improved, and when Canada came calling, he turned his back, and gave his loyalty to a country that although he has lineage to, did nothing for him. Yes, he's thankless. What would you describe him as? I called him a thankless cnut. Would mercenary have been a better description? Honestly.

As for your show, sorry I didn't call in or e-mail from France. It was on my list of things to do, but didn't get around to it at 4:00 AM Paris time. Seriously, your show times simply have not fit in for me, but I make the effort every time to catch the archive as soon as it comes up. I play it, stop it when I have calls come in or need to make some, and listen during the work day at my leisure. That works for me and my schedule. So, TTP a supporter of your show if you must...go ahead and discuss all the wankers that don't call in. Seems to me that that is about everyone not named Kenny Cormac. You asked for debate here, you got it...don't bitch now that you have some responses.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Is there a difference between playing for your country if you are a hockey player or a soccer player? (specifically in Canada).

Let's hear it!

That difference you asked about: pride.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for your show, sorry I didn't call in or e-mail from France
I knew you would say that :rolleyes:

So, TTP a supporter of your show if you must...go ahead and discuss all the wankers that don't call in. Seems to me that that is about everyone not named Kenny Cormac. You asked for debate here, you got it...don't bitch now that you have some responses.
Are you sure you're Canadian? I thought Canadians were a tougher bunch. Grab a fcuking tissue ya fcuking girl's blouse!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Arubian.

I've decided to change colors. Can't make the squad here, and the English must have lost my invite in the mail...but Aruba has offered a thatched hut, unlimited rum, and a brunette bombshell named Conchitta. It's the best deal I can get, so I'm going to jump at it.

I'll be tuning in to the next show from the beach.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0