Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Turf in the Summer

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
:mad: :mad: The turf is killing me... really!!

How is it that we can't find good grass pitches to play on in the summer?
I really don't get it.

That was the best thing about playing in the summer. GRASS FIELDS!!
I get enough of the turf fields in the winter!!

Our local game here is gonna be all turf.

I would say 65% of the games in the PCSL are on turf now.
I am sure just a few years ago, it was all grass!!

Last night, 30 degree weather, 7:00 p.m. kick off. ON TURF!!
In seattle on Turf.. against Khalsa this Sunday on Turf...
In Victoria on Turf,. and its freaking summer.
PAU, with some very nice, mint condition fields, and we are playing on turf cause the city shuts them down for maintenaince.
I really don't see what Maintenaince is needed. THEY ARE MINT!!
I understand a couple weeks before Sept.. like the last maybe 2 weeks or so in August..

ACBC tournament, ON TURF
I now hear the Nations Cup is ON TURF!!

I love the game... but Love my ankles more!!!

There has got to be some grass pitches out there!!
Turf for winter!! Grass in the summer!!
???????????????????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

feeling the difference after playing 90 on turf in blazing heat!
LION

maybe that is whats wrong with the Canadian Game?????

kenny

Jul 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I played on turf for the first time a couple of days ago in the middle of sunny afternoon and was amazed how much heat was comming off of the surface.

The only good thing I have to say is that I did not have the usual aching shin splints afterwards as I do on grass.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playing in net sucks on turf. I am getting up there in age and nothing is worse then diving around on this crap. My right shoulder has been hurt since half way thru last season from diving and landing on it which I have done over the years on grass and never had a problem. I'm old and turf just makes me older.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playing in net sucks on turf. I am getting up there in age and nothing is worse then diving around on this crap. My right shoulder has been hurt since half way thru last season from diving and landing on it which I have done over the years on grass and never had a problem. I'm old and turf just makes me older.
Here, here. Twice last season I landed square on my kneecap. Hurts like a bitch.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fact of the matter is that the turf fields are getting better, the technology is getting better and the municipalities spend the money up front and it turns out being waaaaay cheaper for them to maintain over time...

If you look at the first generation of turf that was installed in the lower mainland (Burnaby Lake, Poco Town Center, Newton Athletic et all) they have worn out a lot faster than the newer installations like the ones at Cloverdale, Heritage etc...

I prefer the speed of the game on truf as it is really hard to find good grass fields where the ball rolls and bounces true and the grass isn't three inces long hiding the potholes and chunks missing...

I would rather have the wear and tear on my ankles than break an ankle on the poorly maintained grass fields...

Keep in mind I play almost exclusively in the Fraser Valley, I cannot comment on Vancouver fields, I know they have virtually zero field turf fields...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
wow...
you rather play on a turf field...
wow...

The game was meant to be played on grass.

I played a provincial game at Adanac, rainy, a bit slippery, back in May.
It was still more appreciated, as you had to adapt to it. The bounces etc...

Also has so much more give if you are standing on a foot with all your wait, and someone goes through you...

I find that it's the smaller, quicker players who don't mind the turf. As well as idiots who have no idea.

I would rather a windy, choppy, John Oliver park friday night game on grass then any new turf field. Those were the days.
Grass stains and all.

FCUK TURF!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I appreciate the turff in the winter, for training, as opposed to the alternative (gravel). I know it has extended my playing days by YEARS.

Also, in the winter, I appreciate being allowed to play, and not suffer as many rain-outs.

That said, I agree that a 1/2 decent grass pitch is far preferable.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I to appreciate those things Dude.
Training on it, and the games in winter. It even beats the old indoor high school gym floors with hockey nets.

I would understand playing on it all winter long, with the winters we have been having.

the beef is playing on it, when the field right next to it is a beautiful grass field, with rich freshly cut aromas wofting my way!! on a hot summer night!!

That used to be the best thing about Summer soccer. Grass stains and cold beers on a hot summer night.

But now we are playing on it in the summer.....
wah wah wah wah wah!!

i guess I should look at the positive side. That we even have the options here. And wear boots, in towns, with running water!

Go Canada Go

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am just saying that with the little amount I get to play on grass, and how crap the grass is that I get to play on when I do...I am used to turf.

But I am also in a lot better shape than when I used to complain about injuries and all that...

I too prefer playing on grass, but how often can you find grass that is in good shape??? not in the valley, never, and if you do- it is closed waiting for the the Fall. Healing...

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf in the summer makes no sense except for 9PM kick offs where you need the lights.

Love the turf in the winter for training and Friday night games but grass is where it's at for the summer.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I appreciate the turff in the winter, for training, as opposed to the alternative (gravel). I know it has extended my playing days by YEARS.

Also, in the winter, I appreciate being allowed to play, and not suffer as many rain-outs.

I reckon it has prolonged my playing days by days. Maybe even a week or two.

I would imagine you appreciate being allowed to play in the winter. Still amazed your wife lets you but life is full of surprises, I guess.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
26, going on 35 after a turf game.

Love the turf,... in winter.

The whole point of this thread is playing on it, IN SUMMER!!
You'd think summer soccer meant playing on grass, correct?
Thats all I'm saying..
turf on a 28 degree night isn't all that fun... especially that weird smell coming off it.

I am sure in your time(s), you got to play all your summer soccer on GRASS!!

lucky!

LION

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
26, going on 35 after a turf game.

Love the turf,... in winter.

The whole point of this thread is playing on it, IN SUMMER!!
You'd think summer soccer meant playing on grass, correct?
Thats all I'm saying..
turf on a 28 degree night isn't all that fun... especially that weird smell coming off it.

I am sure in your time(s), you got to play all your summer soccer on GRASS!!

lucky!

LION

To be honest, Lion, I've reffed on many fields this summer(grass fields) which are far worse than any turf field(bar Livingstone or Eric Hamber). It is hotter on turf but to be honest, you don't have to worry as much about massive pot holes, bumps, and ridiculously hard surfaces.......

Having said that, grass is still the best surface. :D

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lion and Alikira

Agree to disagree.

A "good" grass pitch which is common at Newton, Cloverdale & South Surrey is what should be provided for summer footy... Unfortunately the city doesn't open and close a couple at a time in South Surrey... They closed 6 grass parks at the same time... The summer season is over next week, they could of at least rotated the pitches to allow a game per night on one pitch every week... Easy to do considering they have someone cut the grass a couple of times per week!!!
Field turf is great for amature soccer in this province, it allows us to play almost 12 full months of the year... However, it should not take over from good grass parks throughout the lower mainland and fraser valley...

Saturday games days forever! (grass mind you) ;)

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf sucks as you get black pellets all over your body
Grass sucks as it's never level and floods easy.
Gravel is the way to go as usually it's nice and level and no one ever slide tackles as they will get raspberries on their thighs. Thus making for less injuries.:wa:

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just rolled my ankle something awful on turf. I'm not a big fan at the moment.

At least I could have blamed it on a pot hole on grass...

football dude

May 5, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
:mad: :mad: The turf is killing me... really!!

How is it that we can't find good grass pitches to play on in the summer?
I really don't get it.

That was the best thing about playing in the summer. GRASS FIELDS!!
I get enough of the turf fields in the winter!!

Our local game here is gonna be all turf.

I would say 65% of the games in the PCSL are on turf now.
I am sure just a few years ago, it was all grass!!

Last night, 30 degree weather, 7:00 p.m. kick off. ON TURF!!
In seattle on Turf.. against Khalsa this Sunday on Turf...
In Victoria on Turf,. and its freaking summer.
PAU, with some very nice, mint condition fields, and we are playing on turf cause the city shuts them down for maintenaince.
I really don't see what Maintenaince is needed. THEY ARE MINT!!
I understand a couple weeks before Sept.. like the last maybe 2 weeks or so in August..

ACBC tournament, ON TURF
I now hear the Nations Cup is ON TURF!!

I love the game... but Love my ankles more!!!

There has got to be some grass pitches out there!!
Turf for winter!! Grass in the summer!!
???????????????????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

feeling the difference after playing 90 on turf in blazing heat!
LION

maybe that is whats wrong with the Canadian Game?????

I have to agree about grass being better. Too much, way too much emphasis on turf now. Cellulitis is also a big problem with turf these days. Really realyy dirty. Turf should be an alternative to grass, not a replacement to it.

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To the goalies complaining bout diving on turf...at least your 6 yard box actually has grass (turf) on it and not a big mud dirt pile like the majority of grass fields do......And your gloves last longer on turf as well.....they don't get as dirty or as much wear and tear.

Still a relatively young goalie (26), but don't find diving on turf to be that bad. Maybe it will catch up with me in a few years.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0